beef bowl game day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: beef bowl game day

Special teams have had some positives. The punt team has been pretty good for the most part. The kid from UND that had a pretty good return is a pretty good player. I do think the spread punt suits the program and players well. I agree, some tweaks on kickoff and punt return would be good, but I see them more as "tweaks" rather than major problems.

Comment

Have we ever even been close to blocking a kick the last few years? I wouldn't worry about that as much as dropping a guy or two further back for blocking,most of the problems stem from guys getting downfield too fast on our punt recievers.Especially with speed guys,we should at least block them out,or slow them down.

We never get blocking set up for punt returns anymore....Heck,seems we don't get any returns anymore!

I don't blame the punt returners,they've got guys in their face on every kick it seems.

Comment

I'm not one to be too negative, especially when 3-0 but I do think that I'm not sure we look like a top 10 team. Not that anyone looks great every week over a 12-game schedule, but I was hoping this team would be a little more polished at this point. The fact that they are not is okay, and the statement about it being great to be 3-0 and have a lot of things to tighten up is not lost on my either. I guess I, like many others on this board, know that this team is capable of producing the best football season in SDSU history and I am not being sufficient patience.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

That was a good win against a solid team.

That QB...may be as talented as we see this season. But he did make some questionable decisions, particulary the deep pass that brown picked, and of course the pick 6 at the end of the game.

I was really impressed with SELA's offense...very tough to stop... jet sweeps, play action, read option, speed option... play action off those...wr screens... they really did alot of stuff...lots of different formation looks too. I was impressed with how the defense was able to adjust.

Sumner missed on a few passes (more than usual, IMO), but he was the biggest reason we won this game on the offensive side of the ball. Always made the right decsion. Made a couple of big scrambles when he had to.

I hope Cam Jones is ok...he's a mismatch out there.

Nebraska is going to be out for blood this coming game...hope we're ready for it.

Comment

Am I off base in thinking/remembering teams known for good return games putting their studs back for kickoff/punt returns? We don't do that, to my knowledge. I remember Kool used to be on kick returns and did really well.

Put the fastest kid on the team back for kicks/punts and I think those areas improve immediately.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              Am I off base in thinking/remembering teams known for good return games putting their studs back for kickoff/punt returns? We don't do that, to my knowledge. I remember Kool used to be on kick returns and did really well.

Put the fastest kid on the team back for kicks/punts and I think those areas improve immediately.
              I think the two fastest kids are out there. Dom Wright was on the track team last year and have heard Wesley is one of the fastest on the team.

Comment

Doesn't matter how fast a punt reciever or kick off reciever is if the blocking isn't there first.No where to run.

We need better schemes to set up the punt return,ours doesn't work when a guy catches the ball and he's hit at the same time.

Look at our return yards on punts,pathetic,guys are nervous catching the ball because they see guys barreling down on them with no blockers,results in poor decisions,etc.

Special Teams is a train wreck right now,and I'll bet Neb is planning on capatalizing on getting some turn overs there as we speak.Weaknesses are always targeted for exploitation
                Last edited by jackdaniel; 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                  I think the two fastest kids are out there. Dom Wright was on the track team last year and have heard Wesley is one of the fastest on the team.
                  Agreed.

Trevor Wesley has some wheels! Sumner has just missed him in each of the last 2 games on deep throws.

Glad to see him in the WR rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                    Doesn't matter how fast a punt reciever or kick off reciever is if the blocking isn't there first.No where to run.

We need better schemes to set up the punt return,ours doesn't work when a guy catches the ball and he's hit at the same time.
                    Look at our return yards on punts,pathetic,guys are nervous catching the ball because they see guys barreling down on them(no blockers),results in poor decisions,etc.
                    Special Teams is a train wreck right now,and I'll bet Neb is planning on capatalizing on getting some turn overs there as we speak.Weaknesses are always targeted for exploitation
                    Also agreed. Blaming the return men for the poor returns is kind of putting the cart in front of the horse.... they need a chance to get something going...they haven't gotten that opportunity yet.

Comment

The kickoff/punt return team may be having a few problems, but I hope that we do not have more games where we give up 500+ yards with 322 passing yards(Bennett rushed for net 73.) We will play better teams yet this year who will not make the mental mistakes(penalties and turnovers) SELA made. There was something their offense found that we should be prepared to defend. SELA has a good team that certainly will win some big games this year. Great home win for the Jacks and the fans.
                      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Highlight tape is out.

http://vimeo.com/74664699#
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                        X