beef bowl game day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: beef bowl game day

We are very fortunate SELA got all those penalty's.
    Our guys didn't give up,that's the reason we won.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
      We are very fortunate SELA got all those penalty's.
      Our guys didn't give up,that's the reason we won.
      The reason the Jacks won is that they won the turnover battle plain and simple
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        34-26 Jacks, final.

SE LA impressed me. They're not a bad team. They lost the game much more than SDSU won it, IMHO.
        Yup. Very impressed with SELA. SIX turnovers and they still almost won. That was a good team we got a W against tonight.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          34-26 Jacks, final.

SE LA impressed me. They're not a bad team. They lost the game much more than SDSU won it, IMHO.
          Cant give rep pts but this one is about a Thousand Dollar statement, their coach as much as admitted it. SELA did excute some neat plays. The QB is very quick and hard to bring down. Seems like SELA had problems tackling Sumner, so I would not have a problem with him running a few Bennett plays in future games. SELA will win many games this year.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            The reason the Jacks won is that they won the turnover battle plain and simple
            Both penalties and turnovers were the difference. A win is a win is awin. One difference was we never gave up. No one ever hung their head no stupid penalties. I think 76 forget who that is had a rough night on the line. Its not like we have 20 starters coming back. We have WR who need to step up but a solid line and Qb and a great runing back. A solid D line but the rest of the D is young and fairly unproven. Special teams needs some work maybe but sadly that's been a problem at SDSU since Annenson was returning punts.

We got the lead and forced them out of their comfort zone and when they have to rely on the passing game with out the fear of running really shifted in our favor. Regardless of what it looked like I saw somethings I really like and the factthey went 1-0. That's the important thing let's not forget which means we are 3-0 overall.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Great win to a much more talented team. Jacks for the most part played mistake free until the kickoff return and onside kick. Brown made a couple big picks and Sumner legs not arm was the difference today. Great win and excited to be heading to Lincoln next week.

Comment

SELA has good QB & is very fast, also sloppy. Penalties, stupid ones after the play, and turnovers cost them this game.

SDSU defense was on the field forever, but played well and disciplined keeping the speed difference from killing the Jacks. Sumner looked lost at times, somebody give him an outlet. Special teams largely blew. Loved watching ZZ run away from DBs for a score.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Just got home from Brookings.

Sumner's passes weren't on target all the time but I thought he was making decent decisions. He ate the ball when he had too, threw it out of bounds when he had to, and ran it (quite well) when he should have. Some of his passes seemed to drift high, something we saw last year with the bad thumb. But, I think we saw the improved decision-making-ability Stig talks about.

SLU was a pretty tough team with a baffling defense that stopped our run game much of the time.

SELA will go home wondering "what might have been" if they had not been penalized 113 yards -- that was their fault. Their six turnovers? I think the Jacks take credit for all six. The Brown interceptions near the end of the game, one of which went for the TD, were the result of a good quarterback getting rushed by our defense and then becoming a little frantic as the clock is winding down. Our defense was pounding on SELA and that resulted in the turnovers.

We were penalized for 35 yards.

SELA would shoot itself in the foot, reload, and shoot again and again. In the fourth quarter, some of the penalties had to be linked to SELA players becoming frustrated.

Comment

Yes. It appeared SELA lacked discipline needed to play from behind. Lots of talent, poor decisions, yielding penalties and INTs.
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Good win against an undisciplined team with a great quarterback and lots of speed in skill positions. If the Jacks hadn't struggled on special teams, the final score wouldn't have been close.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Rough start of the game we were down 10-0 but we came back and held them a lot bend but don't break. Remember then got to 26 because of sepicial teams. They had chances they didn't capitilaize on and that's us never giving up. Skiller players were good and tough offense to figure out and a tricky defense but after giving up 10 points early they only scored 9 points till late in the game after we were able to keep scoring in a tight game. I am impressed with sela but still think we deserved to win. Those turnovers we earned imho. And let's face it some of those plays they made passingwhen the QB would roll out were impressive. Skilled players for sela were talented and tricky to figure out but our vanilla offense and standard defense still is pretty good we don't do things tricky or flashy or gimmicky we just play jackrabbit football and never give up. Seems to be working well enough so far.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My armchair observations:

1. Bennett - We could see why he played at Oregon, and why he doesn't play there anymore. Threw into triple coverage and was picked on multiple occasions. Bad decision maker.

2. Sumner's scramble TD should have been called back. Refs missed an obvious take down hold by one of our guys. I figure they owe us a few though!

3. Guys got off the mat and didn't give up. This is a really, really good sign. Could have folded like a cheap tent.

4. Special teams are a complete mess. Everything about them tonight was atrocious. VOMIT!

5. SELA is a good team and I'll take the win.

Comment

Am I losing it or is there no link on the argus page for TV's chat? I couldn't find it last week either. I like to go back and read through the live chat.
                            "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Turnovers and penalties are just as much a part of the game as passing or tackling. We did FAR better than SLU in those two departments and won because of it. Bennett looked amazing at times, but his poor decision making cost them. Our guys made the plays on those ill-advised throws. Well done.

Two big concerns for me are (obviously) special teams, and Sumner's passing. I was hoping that the issues we saw with his throwing last year would clear up with a healed thumb. Now I have to wonder how much his thumb had to do with the problem. We have seen passes sailing high for two weeks now. I think it is a miracle he does not have 5 interceptions. He must be choosing his receivers wisely, or is awfully lucky.

I can't decide if UND and SLU are significantly underrated or if we are significantly overrated. The truth probably lies somewhere in between those extremes. We will find out the next several weeks. I'm just glad we are 3-0 because we could easily be limping into Lincoln at 1-2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Comment

The team that dominated, I mean dominated most of the stats, TOP, 1st downs, 3rd down efficiency, rush, pass and total yds lost this game due to -5 TO's and 12 penalties for 114 yds. I won't bother to comment of special teams.

Sumner was okay but far from great passing the ball. He made great decisions and kept the team in it. SELA had a great defensive scheme and it appeared to me that Sumner was baffled. On many pass plays he didn't seem to know where the most likely 1st read would be and then seemed quick to look at the rush instead of check down to 2nd or 3rd option or his outlet. That said, he did more than enough to earn this win. He didn't panic. He didn't pass the spectacularly either.

So, 3-0, that is huge. Best RB in FCS and a solid Oline. Smart and experienced QB that will be even better than he has been. Hard working, non stop Dline and LBs with good run support from DBs and pretty damn good coverage tonight. Nearly picked a few more that we're completed. All great things.

Special teams, other than kicking, have to be better, it's got to be embarrassing for the players and coaches. The kick returns were basically like turnovers. Pinning the jacks deep and tying the offenses hands. Fix the damn kick returns and Jacks win handily.

No idea what happened on kick coverage. Was great at UND but shakey tonight. Got the W, 1-0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
                                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                                X