North Dakota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: North Dakota

My philosophy,all teams have pride,all teams have fight,do not ever under estimate either,or,by your own arrogance,you can become the the victim of the "upset".The only difference is talent,and sometimes,even that's not enough.Desire to win can be very powerful if everyone,and i mean from head coach to water boy,buys into it 100%.JMO

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
      I agree. If we want to be considered a top 10 team nationally, this is a game that shouldn't be close. Same with SELA next week.
      Exactly right, as the good Dr stated, being a top 5-10 ranked team in the country having less then 10K fans for the home opener is not acceptible. Student who went home really are missing out on a great expereince and fun time. hopefully SDSU does everything it can to keep students on campus and going to the games. 12K should be minimum 15K avge 17K our largest crowd every year.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        Exactly right, as the good Dr stated, being a top 5-10 ranked team in the country having less then 10K fans for the home opener is not acceptible.
        I'm in obvious disagreement with some of you over the attendance issue of a 6th home game on a scorching hot labor day weekend, so I won't hijack the thread to continue the debate.

This might sound silly, but does anyone think the Pride not having a halftime show had anything to do with the lower attendance figure?

My crystal ball says that attendance will ALWAYS be an issue at SDSU, new stadium or not. Anybody remember #2 Northern Iowa coming to town for a night game and the subsequent chew out by Stig on the radio show afterwards?

I know we all want to have home crowds like the Bison, but c'mon guys and gals. We have a long, LONG way to go before that is even a remote possibility.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
          I'm in obvious disagreement with some of you over the attendance issue of a 6th home game on a scorching hot labor day weekend, so I won't hijack the thread to continue the debate.

This might sound silly, but does anyone think the Pride not having a halftime show had anything to do with the lower attendance figure?

My crystal ball says that attendance will ALWAYS be an issue at SDSU, new stadium or not. Anybody remember #2 Northern Iowa coming to town for a night game and the subsequent chew out by Stig on the radio show afterwards?

I know we all want to have home crowds like the Bison, but c'mon guys and gals. We have a long, LONG way to go before that is even a remote possibility.
          No. I was in the pride and as much as people like the show they do no one goes just for the band. the students for the band havent been on campus for long so to get insturments and uniforms checked out and to have enough time to rehearse for a show and practice music. At BSC schools who bring in the band students before school starts to work on the show. SDSU does not have that ability and getting thigns ready for the first week is hard to do. I will expect a full half time show the next home game.

How many SDSU fans and alumni live in a 2 hour radius of brookings which seems a resonable distance to assume most fans come from that area. my guess many many thousands in the I-90 coridor with waterown brookings obviously and SF. populations of 200K in that area and with 12K students on campus and a top 5 quality team on the field, Im sorry but less then 10K is embaressing.

Anyway Labor day weekend great weather and 12k students on campus, I think it is an issue if we cant get 10K for a home opener, its the same excuse fans made for not making the playoff game, even though taht was a small crowd it was probably one of the best we have had in the last several years. We blame the weather or the weekend it falls on. To me it comes down again to the culture of SDSU and athletics, NDSU fans will plan to go to NDSU games regardless if its a holiday weekend or not. SDSU fans and students dont view it they same priority and thats a shame.

How ever I do think that the walk up crowd who comes to most games since I feel the economy is still is an issue, going to SDSU football is not the cheap ticket it once was. drivin to the game, tickets for the family, consessions. With NDSU or hobo day or USD games priced so hight many family and fans might only make a few games or 1 or 2 instead of all of them and since its on TV, a family could have saved 100 bucks and still enjoyed the SDSU game since its on midcoSN.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Exactly, Jackrabbit fans don't have it right yet. The only way for this program to continue to improve, and they have improved a lot, is for the fans to improve as well. No more excuses, get a ticket and get to the games. Bring your family, bring your friends, bring some kid that has never seen a college FB game.

It was a beautiful night at CAS Saturday, flat out perfect. I knew there wouldn't be 10,000 people there and I think there should be an expectation for 12,500 or more. SDSU administration needs to keep driving ticket sales hard and improving the gameday experience. Make Jackrabbit football THE EVENT in the state on home game days.

I know for sure that bleacher seats and poor concessions play a major role in attendance. Improving the facility will improve attendance as long as the product on the field remains of great quality. The indoor performance center is the first step in that direction.

CAS is a much better place than it was 10 years ago but it needs to become an even better place and that needs to happen soon.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

........... playoff game, even though taht was a small crowd it was probably one of the best we have had in the last several years. We blame the weather or the weekend it falls on. To me it comes down again to the culture of SDSU and athletics, NDSU fans will plan to go to NDSU games regardless if its a holiday weekend or not. SDSU fans and students dont view it they same priority and thats a shame.
              I forgot about the playoff game attendance, good call.

So let me throw this out there. USD, NDSU, UND, and UNI all play in a dome. Our attendance figures are obviously affected by the weather. Is it time to seriously consider building a dome over CAS?

I don't think we can have our cake and eat it too. The weather will always affect attendance at CAS.

Comment

To bring up one last point. Fans have been wanting an extra homegame for years, with such a high winning percentage at home and more home games means more wins which takes wins to make the playoffs, that the admin worked it out to give ua rare 6th home game, a game on opening weekend and frankly I think the fans failed SDSU in that we didnt show up enough. Tough to try to work budgets and numbers and bring in games when we struggle to fill the stands. And its not like This game was just a surprise like hosting the playoff game was, people had plans and tough to get around some of them. This was know for months we were playing this weekend. Not trying to argue with you just its my observation and apparent frustration about the attendance.

Comment

So let me throw this out there. USD, NDSU, UND, and UNI all play in a dome. Our attendance figures are obviously affected by the weather. Is it time to seriously consider building a dome over CAS?

I don't think we can have our cake and eat it too. The weather will always affect attendance at CAS.
                  Weather if it blizzards or is 20 degrees out in the end of november will rightfully affect attendance, i really dont see how 80s and sunny the first weekend of the season with a chance of rain could really keep us out. Maybe we are more fair weather fans then I think.

I dont think we should build a dome because its would be more expensive and takes away what i feel is a home field advantage, that and the natural grass which i know some dont like and want field turf, so the current grass and open air stadium is an advantage to us. since we play in domes all the time, i figure we should be able to deal witht he noise and turf conditions better then they can coming out playing in the wind and sun or rain on natural grass.

Comment

Given the over-hyped weather forecasts (HOT! BIG STORM COMING!) and the relative lack of students (disappointing), a crowd of just under 10,000 wasn't bad for a three-day weekend. Scolding the people who didn't attend won't do much good. We've got to convince the no-gos that they're missing something fun and exciting (which is true), and that the Jacks really want and need them (also true). It starts with enthusiastic students and hard-core fans (like many of us on this board) and builds from there. Winning, of course, is a really important ingredient. Got to keep winning.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

No way no how, CAS will always be open air. Doesn't mean I wouldn't support a domed stadium in Brookings on campus or off. If a multi-use domed facility with funding from the state of SD, Brookings community and SDSU is feasible I would be open to hearing more about that.

CAS has great potential for improvement but a dome is not part of that plan. Never will be (in my estimation).
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Exactly, Jackrabbit fans don't have it right yet. The only way for this program to continue to improve, and they have improved a lot, is for the fans to improve as well. No more excuses, get a ticket and get to the games. Bring your family, bring your friends, bring some kid that has never seen a college FB game.

It was a beautiful night at CAS Saturday, flat out perfect. I knew there wouldn't be 10,000 people there and I think there should be an expectation for 12,500 or more. SDSU administration needs to keep driving ticket sales hard and improving the gameday experience. Make Jackrabbit football THE EVENT in the state on home game days.

I know for sure that bleacher seats and poor concessions play a major role in attendance. Improving the facility will improve attendance as long as the product on the field remains of great quality. The indoor performance center is the first step in that direction.

CAS is a much better place than it was 10 years ago but it needs to become an even better place and that needs to happen soon.
                        I agree on all points. SDSU and fans both need to push as you said make it the event to be at and like i talk about build that culture of thats where people want to be at SDSU events regardless of excuses available.

Good point, I didnt eat at the game since the line waiting for nicks burgers was just huge before kickoff and once it started and have a 2 year old in the stand i dont go up and down to much because its not real convienent. Improved seating and consessions will go a long was as you said and cant happen soon enough.

Comment

I agree on all points. SDSU and fans both need to push as you said make it the event to be at and like i talk about build that culture of thats where people want to be at SDSU events regardless of excuses available.

Good point, I didnt eat at the game since the line waiting for nicks burgers was just huge before kickoff and once it started and have a 2 year old in the stand i dont go up and down to much because its not real convienent. Improved seating and consessions will go a long was as you said and cant happen soon enough.
                          Eating at the game is not a bargin no matter how you choose. Nicks parked their wagon across the field from where they ordinarily park, and maybe that was to maximize revenue. The singles cost 2.25 at the game, and maybe 1.80. downtown. Then Aramark sold soft drinks right next to the trailer at 3.00 for an ordinarly priced 1.70 16oz pop, so you get the pinch for anything you purchase. I do agree our fans are not getting it completely, but have changed a great deal for the better since the D2 days. I feel it only can get better with each game and each spectular play made. A win on Sept 28th would be real big.

Comment

I think I read somewhere the ticket office was expecting 11-12k. They don't miss that badly very often, and are usually very close with their expectations. This leads me to believe it is a weird situation, an anomaly. It will be very interesting to see what attendance is like for ISU-b (last home game of season weeks after Hobo Day).

It would be nice to get to the point where casual fans circle dates other than Hobo Day, Beef Bowl, and NDSU/USD to avoid crowds and/or get a seat. I think season tickets sold but not used is a major issue. There were dozens of unused season tickets in my section alone Saturday. It would be nice if the AD figured out something to do with unused season tickets. Heck, have fans turn them in if they aren't being used and hand them out to elementary students.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                              Eating at the game is not a bargin no matter how you choose. Nicks parked their wagon across the field from where they ordinarily park, and maybe that was to maximize revenue. The singles cost 2.25 at the game, and maybe 1.80. downtown. Then Aramark sold soft drinks right next to the trailer at 3.00 for an ordinarly priced 1.70 16oz pop, so you get the pinch for anything you purchase. I do agree our fans are not getting it completely, but have changed a great deal for the better since the D2 days. I feel it only can get better with each game and each spectular play made. A win on Sept 28th would be real big.
                              Agree completely. If our rival wasn't back to back national champions selling out their dome, I suspect many of us would have much different opinions on the status of our crowds and program in general. We have a top ten team in the nation and have set attendance records multiple times in the last 10 years.

Beating NDSU would help attendance through the rest of the year.
                              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

No. I was in the pride and as much as people like the show they do no one goes just for the band. the students for the band havent been on campus for long so to get insturments and uniforms checked out and to have enough time to rehearse for a show and practice music. At BSC schools who bring in the band students before school starts to work on the show. SDSU does not have that ability and getting thigns ready for the first week is hard to do. I will expect a full half time show the next home game.

How many SDSU fans and alumni live in a 2 hour radius of brookings which seems a resonable distance to assume most fans come from that area. my guess many many thousands in the I-90 coridor with waterown brookings obviously and SF. populations of 200K in that area and with 12K students on campus and a top 5 quality team on the field, Im sorry but less then 10K is embaressing.

Anyway Labor day weekend great weather and 12k students on campus, I think it is an issue if we cant get 10K for a home opener, its the same excuse fans made for not making the playoff game, even though taht was a small crowd it was probably one of the best we have had in the last several years. We blame the weather or the weekend it falls on. To me it comes down again to the culture of SDSU and athletics, NDSU fans will plan to go to NDSU games regardless if its a holiday weekend or not. SDSU fans and students dont view it they same priority and thats a shame.

How ever I do think that the walk up crowd who comes to most games since I feel the economy is still is an issue, going to SDSU football is not the cheap ticket it once was. drivin to the game, tickets for the family, consessions. With NDSU or hobo day or USD games priced so hight many family and fans might only make a few games or 1 or 2 instead of all of them and since its on TV, a family could have saved 100 bucks and still enjoyed the SDSU game since its on midcoSN.
                                Goon and I have previously agreed on the "creating an SDSU culture" thing and I'll agree again here on all counts as well.
                                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                                X