• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butler - Home Opener

Looks like Midco will broadcast the game

http://www.valley-football.org/schedule/default/

Re: Butler - Home Opener

The summer heat and lack of sporting activities is getting to me. I can't wait for the season to get started.

Butler does not appear to be an easy, show up and get in the win column, game. They return a running back that is making pre-season watch lists. Their QB is an Illinois State transfer who is returning for a 2nd year as the starter for the Bulldogs and was a former 1st Team Indiana prep QB.

Western Illinois dominated them for 2/3rds of their home opener last year, before hanging on to a close win. The game that surprised me was how Butler laid an egg against Drake in their final game, where they should have locked up sole possession of a conference championship. They were without their RB for the game, but the loss gave Colgate the automatic and only bid for the playoffs.

I'd love it if the game turns out to be a sleeper like our first round playoff game, but we've go to expect a team ready to make waves on our turf.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      They were without their RB for the game, but the loss gave Colgate the automatic and only bid for the playoffs.
      Colgate got the autobid out of the Patroit League. Butler is in the Pioneer league. The Pioneer did not have an auto bid last year but will this year with the expansion to 24 teams in the playoffs.

Comment

Looks like a game with stub your toe potential. Lets hope we show up and ready to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Looks like a game with stub your toe potential. Lets hope we show up and ready to play.
          Yep. Butler should be a top half, if not winner of the Pioneer (Non-Schollie D-I) League. If a private non-D-I, or if UNO wanted to add football, I could see this being the route to go, especially since the league is an auto-bid to the play-offs.

Just wish the Ivy Presidents would quit sitting on the sidelines. Think they would be a good addition to the play-offs.

Comment

I did a quick search for a Butler fan message board...only located a couple for basketball. Anyone have a link to a Butler football board?

I went to the official Butler athletics site...looks like the most recent "news" article is from the end of July, noting Butler is picked pre-season to finish #2 in the Pioneer League. http://www.butlersports.com/sports/m...2013073054y0b1

Comment

Home opener - Please note the new location of the Alumni Association Tailgate Tent this year due to Sanford-Jackrabbit Sports Complex Construction (click on the link - map at the bottom of the page).

http://www.statealum.com/s/1108/inde...=13&calcid=685

Go Jacks!

Comment

Really looking forward to Jackrabbit football, in particular this game. Not just because it's the home/season opener, but I'm planning on bringing my 4 year old daughter with. It will be her first football game.

She's got her cheers down and she should have a blast.
                "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

It's difficult to find any news reporting about Butler football. I check the Indy Star -- a pretty good newspaper -- and the Butler sports news is all about basketball. I've seen some nice pictures and read a few stories about the Bulldogs going to Australia to play basketball but not a word about the football team. The new NBA Celtics coach gets more press than the current Butler football team. The Colts seem to soak up most of the football space on the sports page. (And that's okay because there's some Jackrabbit DNA on that team!) The official Butler athletic site hasn't posted a story about football since 7/31 (short story about pre-season 'all-PFL' selections).

Comment

Some links with at least a little news on Butler Football.

Butler Nation Football Parents' Page: http://butlerfootball.org/news.html
                    From that site, a 3/27/13 release announcing the 2013 schedule: http://butlersports.com/sports/m-foo...20130327ti57j5 The release includes a picture of Butler's football field. Nothing particularly remarkable on that BUT in the background, one of the holy places in college basketball: Hinkle Fieldhouse.

Comment

I guess we can conclude that Basketball is king at Butler and football is not on the same level, but yet they manage to come up with some very good athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                        Really looking forward to Jackrabbit football, in particular this game. Not just because it's the home/season opener, but I'm planning on bringing my 4 year old daughter with. It will be her first football game.

She's got her cheers down and she should have a blast.
                        I should ask...some of you who've brought your young children...I assume if they are young enough (4) to sit in your lap, they don't need a ticket? I'm assuming the age cut-off for free admission is kindergarten (age 5 or 6?)
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The season opener is Saturday and I'm starting to wonder if Butler knows there's a game! Essentially no information is coming from the Bulldog camp. The Indianapolis Star has a number of stories about the Butler Men's Basketball Team's trip to Australia but not a word in recent weeks about the football team. Craving news about our opponent, I decided to do some scouting on my own. The best I could come up with Saturday night, one week away from the BIG GAME -- was Lee Daniels' "The Butler".

Excellent film.

Didn't tell me much about Butler Bulldog football.

Should someone call them? I should have put the game on my dentist's calendar...they would have called Butler today and reminded them about their appointment in Brookings on Saturday.

Comment

Butler's student newspaper is The Collegian, established in 1886...no recent news in The Butler Collegian either.

Here's a link in case anyone wants to check later in the week: http://thebutlercollegian.com/catego...otball-sports/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                              Butler's student newspaper is The Collegian, established in 1886...no recent news in The Butler Collegian either.

Here's a link in case anyone wants to check later in the week: http://thebutlercollegian.com/catego...otball-sports/
                              According to their official website, their Move in Day for Freshman was last Saturday, Aug 24th, so like many places the school paper probably does not get crank up until in Sept. The Indy papers should be doing a better job of coverage. This game could be a tough one to win, especially if our guys are not ready to play.

Comment

Working...
                              X