Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

Coach Malone (Nuggets head coach) on Nate Wolters: "He's an NBA guard in my mind."

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
      Coach Malone (Nuggets head coach) on Nate Wolters: "He's an NBA guard in my mind."

Early on in his pro career i thought he was very good,motivated,still think he can do it,despite the Jason Kidds of the world (an overrated player himself),might take a little more fortitude,no way it should take this long if he was given some support from some coach who will give him an honest shot...then if he doesn't make it,I'll understand maybe he should move on to a different profession maybe.But I think he can still do it.

Comment

Almost missed this with all the football, but Nate survived the first Denver cut today. They cut 3 and are down to 17. 15 make the final roster. Gary Harris, one of their guards is injured, so that might help keep Nate around for awhile.

Comment

Nate did survive but mainly due to Mudiay being out tonight with an ankle injury.

Hummel and Stokes have appeared in all 5 preseason games and Nate only in one. They are the favorites for the last spot....and more specifically Stokes. I don't think the Nuggets had any intention of keeping Nate this long short of the injuries to Harris and Mudiay.

Jameer Nelson hasn't shown much this year as backup point but can't really picture a scenario where they don't keep him for veteran experience. Jamaal Murray has proven to be a great shooter but still a liability defensively, while he is more of a two guard he makes more sense as the third point in a pinch. Still think it may have been better for Nate to get cut and have a look somewhere else, but who knows what will happen with the injury situation. Maybe it will work out for him.

Comment

Nate gets waived by Denver. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
              Nate gets waived by Denver. Hope he gets a chance somewhere else.
              Reports are saying that he has signed with KK Crvena Zvezda in Serbia for 2016-17.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                Reports are saying that he has signed with KK Crvena Zvezda in Serbia for 2016-17.
                http://basketball.realgm.com/interna...Zvezda/rosters

Their roster is above. Looks like they manhandle the Serbian league but have struggled a bit in Euroleague. The good thing is that Nate will be easier to follow. Playing in Euroleague instead of Eurocup like last season makes a big difference. You can actually get highlights, box scores, etc in English. It is the highest league in Europe and second only to the NBA in quality of basketball.

They have two point guards on their roster but from the stats it looks like neither can score and neither have impressive assist numbers. It is too bad he didn't hang on in Denver. Around here, news reports made it seem like they really liked him they just didn't have a spot for him. I know a lot of people think he should go D League but the quality of play is not great and it would seem he will have a better chance in the top league in Europe where he will be challenged, it will improve his game and he can make some money. I'm not sure he will ever get back into the NBA, if so he may as well play at the top level he can.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  I know a lot of people think he should go D League but the quality of play is not great and it would seem he will have a better chance in the top league in Europe where he will be challenged, it will improve his game and he can make some money. I'm not sure he will ever get back into the NBA, if so he may as well play at the top level he can.
                  Disagree, D-League has recently upped its game. If you want to make your way back to the NBA, the D-League is where you need to be.
                  30% of this year's opening night rosters have spent time in the D-League (all time high).
                  http://dleague.nba.com/news/2016-17-...ue-experience/

Now if you want to make money you go overseas.

Comment

Their roster is above. Looks like they manhandle the Serbian league but have struggled a bit in Euroleague. The good thing is that Nate will be easier to follow. Playing in Euroleague instead of Eurocup like last season makes a big difference. You can actually get highlights, box scores, etc in English. It is the highest league in Europe and second only to the NBA in quality of basketball.

They have two point guards on their roster but from the stats it looks like neither can score and neither have impressive assist numbers. It is too bad he didn't hang on in Denver. Around here, news reports made it seem like they really liked him they just didn't have a spot for him. I know a lot of people think he should go D League but the quality of play is not great and it would seem he will have a better chance in the top league in Europe where he will be challenged, it will improve his game and he can make some money. I'm not sure he will ever get back into the NBA, if so he may as well play at the top level he can.
                    At this point in his career, he should go for the money. IMO

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                      Disagree, D-League has recently upped its game. If you want to make your way back to the NBA, the D-League is where you need to be.
                      30% of this year's opening night rosters have spent time in the D-League (all time high).
                      http://dleague.nba.com/news/2016-17-...ue-experience/

Now if you want to make money you go overseas.
                      Maybe it has "upped its game" but I recall watching Nate play in Grand Rapids and at times it was like a man playing with boys. Plus the money is terrible. I just don't see what the D league gets Nate any longer. He's 25 and every year a new class of former draftees are competing with him for a roster spot. No money with little chance of getting picked up mid-season. He's a hot commodity in Europe. I say take payday, play against better competition in front of large crowds in Europe's top league. Play well enough and he could easily be pulling 7 figures as a starter or get another shot at the NBA. There is a reason guys like Quincy Miller and Ekpi Udo are playing in Europe and not in the D League. Time is short and a basketball player ages fast. The last thing you want to be is a 30 year old hanging onto your dream while making 30K per year.

Comment

Maybe it has "upped its game" but I recall watching Nate play in Grand Rapids and at times it was like a man playing with boys. Plus the money is terrible. I just don't see what the D league gets Nate any longer. He's 25 and every year a new class of former draftees are competing with him for a roster spot. No money with little chance of getting picked up mid-season. He's a hot commodity in Europe. I say take payday, play against better competition in front of large crowds in Europe's top league. Play well enough and he could easily be pulling 7 figures as a starter or get another shot at the NBA. There is a reason guys like Quincy Miller and Ekpi Udo are playing in Europe and not in the D League. Time is short and a basketball player ages fast. The last thing you want to be is a 30 year old hanging onto your dream while making 30K per year.
                        I am all for the D league, but I think there's another thing that should and probably did factor into his decision. It's something that a lot of SDSU fans probably don't want to admit, but maybe he's just not an NBA talent. Sure, he might be able to be a 2nd or 3rd string PG on a bad team, but that's not what he wants to do, he wants to play. I love the kid, but I don't think he's an NBA starting PG. With that in mind, the payday is a no brainer, as the only reason you hang out in the D league is to get another shot at the big show.

Comment

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
                          At this point in his career, he should go for the money. IMO
                          This is what I was thinking. He's probably already 26-27? Likely less than 10 years left to play.
                          Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                            This is what I was thinking. He's probably already 26-27? Likely less than 10 years left to play.
                            He's 25. Gotta take the money at this point. He's had enough exposure that if the NBA was a realistic possibility (long term), it probably would've happened by now. It only takes one team though...
                            "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

His biggest problem is shooting. He can't shoot well enough from the outside to justify a spot. Some guys do develop better shots later in their careers, but most of those guys are sticking around because of some other elite skill (Jason Kidd, Bruce Bowen).
                              Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Depends what Nate wants. not sure if his bucks contract was totally guaranteed, or what. But if it was, money might not be the biggest goal playing basketball. But if it is, I see why he went overseas again. I myself would like to see him try the D league for a bit, seems enough guys have proven they can be stars in the D league and solid NBA bench players.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X