Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Naters gonna Nate - on the NBA stage

Per various twitter reports, Nate is close to signing a 2 way deal with the Utah Jazz.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
      Per various twitter reports, Nate is close to signing a 2 way deal with the Utah Jazz.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk
      Sounds good to me. I have loved the jazz, Malone, and Stockton and Hornacek, they were fun to watch growing up. Everyone else loved Jordan and Pippen and the bulls, but Malone and Stockton was pretty special. To bad they never got a title there.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Good for Nate - won't get paid as much as playing overseas, but this path gives him the best chance of getting back to the NBA. After Rubio, the other point guards on the Jazz roster are not earth-shaking. If they decide to carry 3, Nate may have a chance.

Comment

This article doesn't like his chances to make the roster:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/09/...-way-deal.html

The Jazz already have 15 guaranteed contracts, so the odds are against Wolters earning a roster spot.
          I just like the fact he's still getting consideration around the league!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            This article doesn't like his chances to make the roster:

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2017/09/...-way-deal.html

I just like the fact he's still getting consideration around the league!
            As much as I want to see Nate get back into the NBA, I just feel that teams are bringing him in to fill out practice rosters for the preseason. His best chance was to cash in on the amazing debut he had, but due to injuries he just hasn't been able to stay. Limited roster sizes in the NBA make it really hard to stick around unless you are a big.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
              As much as I want to see Nate get back into the NBA, I just feel that teams are bringing him in to fill out practice rosters for the preseason. His best chance was to cash in on the amazing debut he had, but due to injuries he just hasn't been able to stay. Limited roster sizes in the NBA make it really hard to stick around unless you are a big.
              That's not what a two way contract is for. This is new for the 2017-18 season. Teams can sign two players to two way contracts, increasing their roster size to 16. The player is on the franchise G League team but can be brought up for 45 days total during the season. The money isn't as good as Europe, I think the max he can make is just under $280 per year but he gets to stay in the United States and it gives him a shot at earning a roster spot and he is signed for two seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_contract

Comment

If he can show he can shoot, he'll have a chance. If not, he won't. Simple as that.
                Originally posted by JackFan96
                Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  That's not what a two way contract is for. This is new for the 2017-18 season. Teams can sign two players to two way contracts, increasing their roster size to 16. The player is on the franchise G League team but can be brought up for 45 days total during the season. The money isn't as good as Europe, I think the max he can make is just under $280 per year but he gets to stay in the United States and it gives him a shot at earning a roster spot and he is signed for two seasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Two-way_contract
                  Thanks for explaining that as I was unaware of the new contracts. I assume you just missed a couple zeros when talking salary.

Maybe this is his last shot...and I think the Jazz are a better fit style wise for his game.
                  -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Actually, under the new G-League setup, Nate will make $75,000 while in the G League, and $204,000 if he spends at least 45 days in the NBA.

Comment

When you look at the depth chart, the first two appear to be locks. Ricky Rubio is a similar player to Nate, but has more going for him. Both are similar sized guards who are pass first and crafty scorers at best in the NBA. Rubio has developed a reputation to be a solid defender. Interesting when you consider that was a perceived weakness when he entered the NBA. Dante Exum is in his last year of his contract at just under $5 million. He was the fifth overall pick of the 2014 draft by the Jazz and I wonder if this is a make-or-break season for him. He played 18 minutes per game during the regular season while averaging 6.2 points/2 rebs/1.7 assists/1.2 turn overs per game.

Third on the depth chart is interesting. Raul Neto played in 40 games averaging 2.5 points/game. He was selected nine picks after Nate was in the 2013 draft. He's smaller than Nate at 6'1" 180 lbs, but has remained on the Jazz roster since being drafted. He's projected to make almost $1.5 million for this year, but none of it is guaranteed. If guaranteed money is an issue, Nate looks like a more valuable commodity as compared to Raul. Nate could play in almost as many games as Raul did last year at 15% of the money. He can work on his game in the G league, yet he can be a valuable backup as needed behind Rubio/Exum. The volume of experience Nate has must be a valuable attribute for filling a gap. If he finds a niche and develops like Joe Ingles did for the Jazz, he could make some serious bank while fulfilling his NBA dream. If not, he's accomplished more than virtually anyone expected after graduating from St. Cloud Tech.

Comment

Kind of interesting, but the Jazz signed Taylor Braun. They should get quality time together on the D league team.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
                          Kind of interesting, but the Jazz signed Taylor Braun. They should get quality time together on the D league team.
                          I'm not sure of his deal but I would bet it could be an up hill battle for Taylor to make the team. I wish him luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                            I'm not sure of his deal but I would bet it could be an up hill battle for Taylor to make the team. I wish him luck!
                            Exactly, I think it's more of a body for training camp situation. Remember when Charlie Westbrook (USD alum) "signed" with the Bucks for training camp? A 2 way contract guarantees at least a G league roster spot. Not taking anything away from Braun at all either. I hope he lands a sport on the G league team.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
                              Nate has the advantage of signing one of the two two-way contracts that the Jazz can use. That basically guarantees him a spot on the Jazz G League team, with the potential to spend up to 45 days with the Jazz.

Comment

An opportunity might have just presented itself to Nate....

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...rated-shoulder

Comment

Working...
                                X