2015 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2015 Recruits

I personally would like to see Wheeler commit rather than Poydras. I have no doubt that Poydras is a talented individual and would work well for our program, but I like the fact that Wheeler would have three years of eligibility. The one and done idea I'm not as much of a fan of. I really liked Wheeler out of high school and was disappointed when he left for Albany. I feel like he would be a good fit for the program.
    "Macy Miller could play for anybody in the country. She's an all-league guard in the SEC. And South Dakota State, there's no doubt they could play in our league. They wouldn't finish in the bottom half either." --Jimmy Dykes

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Has anyone heard any updates on Wheeler Baker ? Last week on Zimmer's chat someone said he was down to UND , USD and the Jacks. You would think USD signing the transfer PG from Iowa yesterday may have an impact on whether they are still interested, since it would be tough to use two scholarships on players who will have to sit a year.
      Well, according to Verbal Commits on Twitter yesterday: "2015 Deep Creek (OK) F Conner Avants has committed to North Dakota. (HT @PrepHoopsOK)"

No idea what that does or doesn't change with their scholarship situation though. But maybe it makes an impact on available scholarships.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked4Days View Post
        I personally would like to see Wheeler commit rather than Poydras. I have no doubt that Poydras is a talented individual and would work well for our program, but I like the fact that Wheeler would have three years of eligibility. The one and done idea I'm not as much of a fan of. I really liked Wheeler out of high school and was disappointed when he left for Albany. I feel like he would be a good fit for the program.
        I guess I would prefer the opposite.

I think we currently have a lot of young talent at the 2 and 3 positions that will be juniors for the 2016-17 season, but the point guard position would be thin with the projected starter likely being a red shirt freshman. While I like Cole Gentry's game, Poydras would be a stop-gap that would allow Gentry to ease into college game as a backup rather than being thrown to the wolves.

Baker would be a nice addition, but he isn't a point guard and would be more of a luxury rather than a necessity. Point guard is just one of those positions you need to get right if you want to make a push for the NCAA Tournament, and Poydras is a proven commodity.

Also, Poydras is only "one-and-done" in terms of eligibility, but he'll be on campus for two years since he'll need to sit out the upcoming season. He should be well adjusted to Nagy's system by the time his number is called.
        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
        - Steven Wright

Comment

Either option is intriguing, but I'm with Kemo. Give me an experienced PG to fill in the huge guard-gap in 2016. Without one, we'll very likely be looking at a step back in terms of standings.

Comment

I like both, however I would like to see the bar set a little higher than a low-major transfer and a D-II transfer. Both would be better than no one IMHO, however I'd just like to see SDSU go after another BCS conference transfer

Comment

Coach nagy just tweeted Welcome to Cole Gentry to the Jackrabbit family. and Adam Dykman.
              https://twitter.com/coachnagy
              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                I like both, however I would like to see the bar set a little higher than a low-major transfer and a D-II transfer. Both would be better than no one IMHO, however I'd just like to see SDSU go after another BCS conference transfer
                Exactly, need more than 2's to build a solid team. Have to do a vigorous job of selling program or try to address reasons why some higher recruits are turned off.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                  Coach nagy just tweeted Welcome to Cole Gentry to the Jackrabbit family. and Adam Dykman.
                  https://twitter.com/coachnagy
                  Welcome to both. They will be needed down the road.

Comment

Looks like UNI has joined the Wheeler Baker race:

Alex Conover (NHR) @NorthstarAlex · 8h 8 hours ago
                    Wheeler Baker (2014 Osseo grad) has heard from North Dakota, NDSU, South Dakota, SDSU and UNI. He's transferring out of D1 Albany (NY).

Comment

Jordan Poydras on Twitter:
                      Thank you to all who contributed during my visit to South Dakota State. I had a great time and throughly enjoyed the time spent there #Jacks
                      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                        Hard to read much , either positive or negative from that statement. Is he our top target for the Broman scholarship ? We have been mentioned by two or three other players and am wondering how they rank as far as priorities , or if it is a case of the first one to commit gets the spot.

Comment

Hard to read much , either positive or negative from that statement. Is he our top target for the Broman scholarship ? We have been mentioned by two or three other players and am wondering how they rank as far as priorities , or if it is a case of the first one to commit gets the spot.
                          Do you have the need to know? That was always the criteria in the Naval Security Group, so I am not being serious in asking this question. I suppose this procedure could vary depending on who is needed and who is available. I suppose there is some kind of a priority system that probably is changing from day to day.

Comment

There could be numerous factors in, the media says offer, but even in basketball (much more so in football) there are different offers. It could be an offer where he walks on next year and gets the scholarship his senior year. It could be a flat out offer, it could be an offer for the team, with a scholarship if available (if no one else commits).

As for how the process goes when there are numerous offers out at the same time? Many times its generally the first one to commit, however, they have to call and ask the coach if the offer is still there, before committing. Many times, if coach feels he is close to getting someone else who is a better recruit, they might pull the offer at any time.

So essentially, its confusing, and nothing is official until the NLI is signed.

Comment

Tevin King committed last night. Huge get!

https://twitter.com/Tevinking_3/stat...58704148639745

Comment

Tevin King break-away slam:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0qdhWD19X8
                                Last edited by Jacked_Up; 04-21-2015, 09:57 AM.
                                This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                                X