Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joe Krabbenhoft

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    I wonder if Kelby will have courtside seats...
    Sure! Why not!

Comment

Welcome aboard Joe...would have been a good starting point rather than getting into a debate of Austin's credentials vs. Joe's credentials. Well done SDSU fans, well done.

A young basketball coach from Sioux Falls gets a fantastic opportunity and a majority of the posts are anything but "welcome aboard".

Good for Coach Nagy on this hire. I know nothing about the young man other than he played at Wisconsin and is from SF. He's getting a great opportunity as a coach. He brings great experience having played in the Big 10 to share with SDSU's players. My guess is he's being brought in to learn coaching as much as he is to contribute as a coach. We all hope he is a fantastic addition to the staff and will stay for many, many years. Lord knows plenty of people thought Austin Hansen was the heir apparent and would stay forever, and we see how that's going so far.

Good luck Joe. Best to you and Welcome to SDSU! Go Jacks!
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Not only Big 10 experience but professional experience as well with the Skyforce and overseas. I am excited about the hire.

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
        Welcome aboard Joe...would have been a good starting point rather than getting into a debate of Austin's credentials vs. Joe's credentials. Well done SDSU fans, well done.

A young basketball coach from Sioux Falls gets a fantastic opportunity and a majority of the posts are anything but "welcome aboard".

Good for Coach Nagy on this hire. I know nothing about the young man other than he played at Wisconsin and is from SF. He's getting a great opportunity as a coach. He brings great experience having played in the Big 10 to share with SDSU's players. My guess is he's being brought in to learn coaching as much as he is to contribute as a coach. We all hope he is a fantastic addition to the staff and will stay for many, many years. Lord knows plenty of people thought Austin Hansen was the heir apparent and would stay forever, and we see how that's going so far.

Good luck Joe. Best to you and Welcome to SDSU! Go Jacks!

Comment

http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisc...ft-leaving-for

Comment

Video from kelo

http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.c...ach/?id=149362

Comment

Anyone who says he is a better on paper hire then Austin Hansen is on drugs, ok maybe not drugs but is wrong.

What this is, is a name hire, you see them all the time, Duke is great at it, hiring old players as assistants, North Carolina did it with Hubert Davis, other schools do it as well. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Joe K. could be a great college assistant or he could be terrible, its one of those things where you don't know until you see it. I wasn't in the interview room, and I didn't review the applications so I don't know who he was chosen over or how he performed. The one issue I have is he doesn't have a graduate degree, now I agree that doesn't mean much on how good of a coach he can be, but I'd like my assistants to have grad coaching experience as the people I've talked to who were grad assistants say they learned a great deal while being a grad assistant.

Comment

Welcome aboard Coach Krabbenhoft. We hope to see your work improve a good BB program at State.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  Anyone who says he is a better on paper hire then Austin Hansen is on drugs, ok maybe not drugs but is wrong.What this is, is a name hire, you see them all the time, Duke is great at it, hiring old players as assistants, North Carolina did it with Hubert Davis, other schools do it as well. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Joe K. could be a great college assistant or he could be terrible, its one of those things where you don't know until you see it. I wasn't in the interview room, and I didn't review the applications so I don't know who he was chosen over or how he performed. The one issue I have is he doesn't have a graduate degree, now I agree that doesn't mean much on how good of a coach he can be, but I'd like my assistants to have grad coaching experience as the people I've talked to who were grad assistants say they learned a great deal while being a grad assistant.
                  In keeping with your "Duke theme" Coach K doesn't have a graduate degree and if memory serves, he has been a pretty good coach. In his case, I think he learned a lot from his coach at army - which I think is something Joe could have picked up from his collegiate coach at Wisconsin.I'm more interested in the conflict that our dear Stu Whitney must be feeling. Could his love affair with Everyday Joe be coming to an end, now that Joe is working for Stu's nemesis - SDSU? Stay tune Jacks fans - this could get good.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...sketball-staff

Comment

Anyone who says he is a better on paper hire then Austin Hansen is on drugs, ok maybe not drugs but is wrong.

What this is, is a name hire, you see them all the time, Duke is great at it, hiring old players as assistants, North Carolina did it with Hubert Davis, other schools do it as well. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Joe K. could be a great college assistant or he could be terrible, its one of those things where you don't know until you see it. I wasn't in the interview room, and I didn't review the applications so I don't know who he was chosen over or how he performed. The one issue I have is he doesn't have a graduate degree, now I agree that doesn't mean much on how good of a coach he can be, but I'd like my assistants to have grad coaching experience as the people I've talked to who were grad assistants say they learned a great deal while being a grad assistant.
                      Right. Nagy hired Joe Krabbenhoft because it was a "name hire." Please tell everyone some more about how wrong they are.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

While most candidates were getting grad degrees, Joe was playing in the D-league. I will take work experience over a degree. We have some players that Joe can help toughen up.
                        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

We could all go round and round about coaching experience, playing experience, grad degree, etc.

Coach K might not have a grad degree, but he learned a lot about coaching from Bobby Knight. Coach K also had an AD that saw his potential and stuck with him through some very tough times. He is extremely lucky he didn't get thrown out on his arse after a few initial rough seasons at Duke.

Bo Ryan is no Bobby Knight.

I'm OK with the hire as long as it is in no way related to any type of potential Sanford Donation, etc. The kid needs to earn it on his own.

Good luck to Joe and welcome aboard.

Comment

Welcome to the program Mr. Krabbenhoft. Looking forward to having someone with both pro and Big 10 experience on the bench. Also, love that he is a South Dakota guy.

SUPERBUNNY
                            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Welcome aboard Joe! Nothing but best wishes.

A note on being "video coordinator"... Eric Spoelstra started out as the Heat's VC before he was elevated to Assistant Coach. Just because someone came from a low-ish position doesn't mean they can not be capable of more.

He has good name recognition, experience with Big 10 and D-League Basketball, is a local guy, with ties to Wisconsin. Can't see how this isn't anything but a positive.

Comment

Wow joboo22, you are evidently way deep on the inside of the program. A name hire? I guess I'll have a hit off of the pipe that the others are smoking.

No way it is a "name hire" as you say. Sure, Sanford has gotten involved in Jacks athletics but that isn't happening. After making the tourney two years in a row, Nagy has earned the absolute right to run the program as he sees fit within the rules set forth by the NCAA and the AD.

I don't know anything about whether Austin was a good coach or not. He was a very good D2 ball player. One of the best we've ever had. When we hired him I thought to myself, there is a "name hire" as you call it. Bringing an SDSU back in to get some experience.

Maybe at the end of the day things didn't work with Austin on the staff? I'm not saying that is the case by any stretch but there have been so many people saying his leaving is a huge loss. It may be. But, the possibility is also there that this is addition by subtraction. Either way it is a moot point. Austin has moved on, we should too.

I will stick with my longtime stance that it is a good thing for SDSU if coaches come here, have success, and move to greener pastures (if they desire that). It means that we are having some success, we are attracting good candidates, and SDSU is a good place to be.

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X