USD's National Pole Vault Champion!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USD's National Pole Vault Champion!

EUGENE, Ore. - First full year of Division I, first national champion.
    With a torn ligament in her left shoulder,South Dakota pole vaulter Bethany Buell cleared 14 feet, 7¼ inches on her third and final attempt to become South Dakota's first Division I national champion on Friday night at the NCAA Outdoor Track and Field Championships at Hayward Field.
    The junior from St. Louis tied the D-I national championship record with a clutch jump to edge Kansas' Natalia Bartonovskaya and Eastern Illinois' Jade Riebold, who both finished at 14-5¼. USD teammate Emily Grove added First-Team All-America honors by finishing seventh after vaulting a season high 14-1¼. The two combined to earn 12 points for the USD women's team.

Go Yotes!

Re: USD's National Pole Vault Champion!

Well done, Ms. Buell and Grove and the rest of the T&F Coyotes, and congratulations to USD!
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That is a fantastic accomplishment! Great for USD! Great for South Dakota! Great for the Summit League!

SUPEBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

In recent years the Summit League has been one of the top conferences in pole vault. Oral Roberts had one of the top men's pole vaulters a few years ago in Jack Whitt, the 2012 NCAA outdoor men's champ. NDSU's Leslie Brost has been a top competitor for several years. And now USD has several top women's pole vaulters including the national champ. Congrats to USD! I agree with Superbunny: the entire League can take pride in Buell's and the Coyotes' accomplishment.
        Last edited by JackJD; 06-08-2013, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Congrats to the U pole vaulters! It is a place with a world class vaulter for a coach. They will continue to attract high performing vaulters.

Comment

http://www.ksdk.com/video/default.as...=2472714471001

Glad she was dressed for the occasion because there was nary a mention of USD other than the blurb under the video.

Comment

Winning AND playing hurt. Some pro athletes could take a cue

Comment

Here is the ESPN video of the winning vault http://t.co/2DLCIpbiGJ Has to be a huge thrill to win a national title in front of great crowd in the track mecca of the US
                USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                  Here is the ESPN video of the winning vault http://t.co/2DLCIpbiGJ Has to be a huge thrill to win a national title in front of great crowd in the track mecca of the US
                  She is excited! What an accomplishment and only a junior. Good for her.

Read an article that said USD has signed the top girls pole vaulter in the country for next year. Having Miles as the pole vaulting coach is paying dividends for USD.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                    What I love about the video is how you can see the Kansas and Eastern Illinois vaulters who finished 2nd/3rd were clapping along with the crowd to help build excitement for the winning vault. That is the beauty of sports, you can have a winner and have other competitors supporting your efforts.

Comment

Working...
                    X