Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Layne Somsen's future

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
    Must have "scattered" the 6 hits nicely.
    That's no kidding!

Comment

Layne had a solid outing tonight going 2.2IP giving up 3H 0R 0ER 0BB 2SO

I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved up to Dayton (Low-A) in the next couple of weeks, not sure what the plan on for an innings limit is on him.

Comment

Layne picked up another win in relief last night. Pitch 2 1/3 innings, no runs, hits, or walks and three K's.

For the season he is 3-0 with a 1.33 ERA in 20 1/3 innings, 14 hits 7 runs 3 earned runs 9 walks and 19 K's.

Talking to him, they have him on a fairly strict innings limits. He only pitches every three or four days and gets only a couple innings each outing. I would be surprised if he was promoted just because of that fact. He has pitched extremely well though and is proving he belongs.

Comment

Layne likely made his final appearance last night pitching four scoreless innings giving up one hit and striking out five. With only three games left, it's unlikely he will pitch again.

Layne pitched very well. His season stats:

17 Games 4W 1L 1SV 1.66ERA 43.1IP 37H 13R 8ER 15BB 40SO

Very very good start to his professional career.

Comment

Thanks for the update Montana!! Really pumped about Layne's chances and will look forward to following him next season.

Comment

I think the thing to watch for with Layne next year is whether or not he gets sent to High A out of Spring Training. His age, would put him in line with starting the season at High A. I was surprised he didn't get called up to Low A during the year, however I feel with his innings and situation might have lead to him staying in Montana.

When it comes to prospects its as much as age as it is anything else, and with his age should send him to high A or even Double A next year

Comment

Certainly controlling his innings had something to do with his not getting moved up. That is also the reason that he is not at instructional league this fall. 2 straight years of playing called for some time off. Good or bad the Reds have an excellent group of pitchers throughout their farm system. They can't just move someone up unless there is a spot for them. That being said, I believe Layne will start next season in either Dayton or Bakersfield, hopefully Bakersfield.

Comment

Originally posted by 76Rabbit View Post
                  Certainly controlling his innings had something to do with his not getting moved up. That is also the reason that he is not at instructional league this fall. 2 straight years of playing called for some time off. Good or bad the Reds have an excellent group of pitchers throughout their farm system. They can't just move someone up unless there is a spot for them. That being said, I believe Layne will start next season in either Dayton or Bakersfield, hopefully Bakersfield.
                  I talked to Layne a handful of times and he echoed this post. He was on a very strict innings limit. He put up what were probably the 2nd best numbers on the staff and was only getting 3 innings or so every four or five games. I'm confident he won't be back in Billings next year.

He did walk a few more guys certain night then you would like, but they also asked him to tweak his delivery slightly to be quicker to the plate. That may have something to do with his command issues at times.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                    I talked to Layne a handful of times and he echoed this post.
                    Good thing. I would expect 76Rabbit to know what is going on.

Comment

Right you are Montana. Tweaked the delivery as well as improving his change up. That certainly led to a few more walks than he'd like but he issued only one free base in his last 5 outings so I'm guessing it was all starting to click.

Comment

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp..._t459&sid=t459

Comment

Right you are Montana. Tweaked the delivery as well as improving his change up. That certainly led to a few more walks than he'd like but he issued only one free base in his last 5 outings so I'm guessing it was all starting to click.
                          76 any updates on where Layne is going to pitch this year?

Comment

Nothing definitive yet. Should know for sure by the end of this week as they fly out on the 30th to wherever they are assigned.

Comment

Dayton Dragons it is MontanaRabbit.

Comment

Dayton Dragons it is MontanaRabbit.
                                Hoping for Bakersfield correct?

Comment

Working...
                                X