UNO baseball had a good first year in the league

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO baseball had a good first year in the league

Wow!! Wasn't expecting this type of reception?? Not sure what a mavbot is?? Why are you punishing me for what someone else has done?? South Dakota State is winning the 2nd game today 5-0. Is that more like it??

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    UNO Fan: It should appear obvious that "This is an independent, non-profit, hobby, fan-enthusiast site with the purpose of supporting South Dakota State University and SDSU Athletics through comment and discussion" (Quoting from the disclaimer language on SDSUFans.com.) So, when a UNO fan shows up and does a little gloating, I guess it was tolerated a little. Yesterday I thought I posted a gentle suggestion: "The exhuberance of our new Mav friend is cute...and certainly UNO is proving it is a welcome addition to the Summit League. But, sheesh, does UNO have a fan message board? UNO is officially public-enemy #1 as far as Jackrabbit baseball is concerned. I'm not sure I want too many pats on the back for the Mavericks on this board."

Let's be clear, UNO Fan, posting news on this board about other conference mates is generally okay but bragging repeatedly is over the line. You have to stop. Consider this a warning. Go to your own board to make such posts. (We'll even let you publish on this board the site address for the UNO Board if you wish.)

There's history of a couple of virulent Maverick fans (affectionally called the Mav Bots on this board) being such jerks that they've been banned on this board. Some of the oldtimers on this board know what I'm writing about.

Don't come back at me saying things like "poor sport", "freedom of speech" or any other similarly inane statement. I'm a busy guy and I don't want to waste time reading posts like you've been making in this thread. Play by the rules or stop visiting us. (Or go to the smack section -- but if you resort to smack, try to be funny.)

Comment

Yep. Good that the Mavs have a lil something to brag about in this first non-transitional year. Is baseball the one sport that UNO chose to make eligible a year ahead? If so, that would appear to be a good choice as Summit League could be up for grabs for a while, unlike when ORU was in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
        Yep. Good that the Mavs have a lil something to brag about in this first non-transitional year. Is baseball the one sport that UNO chose to make eligible a year ahead? If so, that would appear to be a good choice as Summit League could be up for grabs for a while, unlike when ORU was in the Summit.
        ++++++agree++++++

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Can't do that anymore. And it was either two or three years early for two sports(M/W; one each) back then. The loophole that let us do that was closed a couple years back. Too bad in this case.

Personally, I'm a little pissed NDSU didn't have a better showing this year. I was really hoping for next year's tournament to be in Fargo to showcase our field. We were in the hunt all the way to the end last year since ORU was on their way out, but let 2nd place slip out of our reach during the last week or two. Was really hoping this was our year. Oh well, guess the tourney's in Omaha next year.

Actually, will the tourney be in Omaha? It's supposed to go to the regular season champion, but Omaha won't be eligible for the NCAA tourney next year. With only 4 slots, I can't image the Summit letting UNO take one when they can't represent the conference even if they win it. And if UNO can't be in the conference tourney, why have it in Omaha. Looks like the tourney will either be in Brookings or Sioux Falls next year depending on what you guys want.
          Last edited by Hammersmith; 05-17-2013, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UNO Fan View Post
            Wow!! Wasn't expecting this type of reception?? Not sure what a mavbot is?? Why are you punishing me for what someone else has done?? South Dakota State is winning the 2nd game today 5-0. Is that more like it??
            It appears this guy may not get it. Oh well, we'll see what he does from this point.

For latecomers to this thread: I edited UNO Fan's post #13to take out the bragging and goading part.
            Last edited by JackJD; 05-17-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Does anyone know if UNO designated baseball for a 2 year transition? It took me a while to double-check, but I found the Boston Globe article on UMass-Lowell stepping up and they claimed that UML was able to designate 1 team for a 2 year transition. UML is apparently designating field hockey for the quick transition. If so maybe that resolves my personal questions as to why the Summit has no concerns about baseball membership dropping below 5.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2013/02/14/umass-lowell-joining-america-east/JvZl3l8QhA0A3CYPe6wShP/story.html

Part of me wishes DU would sponsor baseball and softball as there is market space for it in Denver. But to be honest DU doesn't have the resources to add another sport as they are putting lots of money to keep hockey, basketball, and lacrosse at a national level. And there is a distinct lack of land around the DU athletic fields to squeeze in a couple of diamonds and as such the entrance costs would be prohibitive.

Comment

Originally posted by cokolman View Post
                Does anyone know if UNO designated baseball for a 2 year transition? It took me a while to double-check, but I found the Boston Globe article on UMass-Lowell stepping up and they claimed that UML was able to designate 1 team for a 2 year transition. UML is apparently designating field hockey for the quick transition. If so maybe that resolves my personal questions as to why the Summit has no concerns about baseball membership dropping below 5.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2013/02/14/umass-lowell-joining-america-east/JvZl3l8QhA0A3CYPe6wShP/story.html

Part of me wishes DU would sponsor baseball and softball as there is market space for it in Denver. But to be honest DU doesn't have the resources to add another sport as they are putting lots of money to keep hockey, basketball, and lacrosse at a national level. And there is a distinct lack of land around the DU athletic fields to squeeze in a couple of diamonds and as such the entrance costs would be prohibitive.
                A couple thoughts:

- Since this is UNO's first full year in the transition, they would be tournament eligible if they designated baseball.

- I believe that baseball (along with basketball, football and--probably--hockey) is one of the "revenue sports" that can't be fast tracked (SDSU opted for wrestling & volleyball during transition)

Comment

Originally posted by cokolman View Post

I don't think that article is correct. If I had to guess, I think they are misreading a section of the NCAA bylaws. This appears to be what they are referring to:
                  20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year. (Revised: 8/9/07, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)
                  The key here is that the sport already had to be DI in 2010-11 for it to still be allowed. The following section talks about the process of reclassifying a sport, but it's a very limited case. The added section allows you to move up a sport only if it has the opposite gender and that gender was already DI in 2010-11. More plainly, say a DII school had moved up women's soccer back in 2000. As long as women's soccer stayed DI, that school would be allowed to also move up men's soccer. But that's as far as it goes.

There used to be a rule that allowed a school to move up one sport from each gender with some exceptions(that's why we have some DII & DIII schools playing DI baseball and lacrosse), but that option was removed sometime around 2011.

If someone could show me where I'm wrong in the NCAA DI manual, please say something. I've looked through it a bunch of times, but I'm not saying I couldn't have missed something.

Comment

My guess would be that the move-a-sport-up-early rule got removed at the same time that the D-I reclassification rules in general got changed (i.e. the change to the current situation, where schools must secure a conference sponsor before being allowed to move up to D-I). As Hammersmith notes, that was ca. 2011.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I found the loophole UMass Lowell is using. I was wrong in my interpretation about the opposite gender sport needing to be the same as the existing DI sport(i.e. soccer to soccer or baseball to softball). Because UMass Lowell only has DI men's ice hockey, they can move up any single women's sport with the exception of basketball. If they also had DI women's ice hockey this wouldn't have worked. I think UNO could do the same thing since they already had DI men's ice hockey before 2011, but baseball would not be an option; only a women's sport.

Comment

20.4.1 Multidivision Classification. A member of Division II or Division III may have a sport classified in Division I, provided the sport was so classified during the 2010-11 academic year. Such a classification shall continue until the institution fails to conduct the sport in Division I in any following academic year. (Revised: 8/9/07, 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

Doesn't this mean they had to have the sport classified a Div 1 sport during the 2010-11 acedemic year,and furthermore,must play Div one in that sport all years thereafter,if they don't the classification is recinded?If i read this right , this rule would be null and void after the time period runs out.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post

Doesn't this mean they had to have the sport classified a Div 1 sport during the 2010-11 acedemic year,and furthermore,must play Div one in that sport all years thereafter,if they don't the classification is recinded?If i read this right , this rule would be null and void after the time period runs out.
                          I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. This rule was a way to grandfather in all the DII & DIII schools that previously had moved one or more sports to DI. The procedure to move sports up was removed around 2011. The way it stands now, DII or DIII schools without any DI sports are not allowed to move any single sports up. If a DII or DIII school with a single DI sport drops that sport or moves it down to their regular level, they will be unable to move it back up in the future. Also, DII & DIII schools with a single DI sport will be allowed to move up a sport in the opposite gender except for football or basketball. The most complicated version would be the following: Say No Name U had a men's DI sport in 2011. In 2014 they add a women's sport as allowed. In 2016 they drop the men's DI sport. What happens next could be up for debate. The strict reading of the rule would suggest the DI women's sport must be dropped as well. At the very least, a new men's sport would not be allowed to take its place.

Comment

Thanks for clarification on the UML loop-hole... Sounds like a Title IX interpretation where a team can rearrange its scholarship equalization in advance of full D-1 classification. Colorado College for example added D-1 women’s soccer team in the 80s due to Title IX equalization. Not sure how UNO was compliant to Title IX prior to the D-1 move, but could have taken advantage of this for softball, soccer, or volleyball but it appears they didn’t.

Also, I didn’t catch that there was a new prohibition preventing more schools from “playing up”. I am familiar with the rules that allows the 7 grandfathered D-III schools to provide full D-1 scholarships in their chosen sports because they remained D-1/university after to the 1971 university/college division split (including Clarkson, Colorado College, Johns Hopkins, RPI, and St. Lawrence). Leaving the other schools that are “playing up” in a grey area playing D-1 competition, but under D-III limitations (including Hobart, RIT, and Union). I think the prohibition doesn’t apply to D-II schools playing hockey which is a little different in that there doesn’t exist NCAA D-II hockey championship. D-II hockey schools are allowed to “play up” due to the no championship at their level loop-hole (same applies for men’s volleyball). Interestingly in researching the schools “playing up” I took note of Bellarmine in Louisville and Lindenwood outside St. Louis as potential D-II invitees.

Comment

Working...
                            X