Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland exit

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
    If they leave right away they will be putting the Summit into a very tough spot, especially for baseball.
    I think it's $250k if you don't give 2 years notice.

UND can be slotted into the Summit for baseball whenever the Summit sees fit to offer. I can't imagine there's any kind of steep buyout for an auxiliary member of the 72nd best conference in college athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      I think it's $250k if you don't give 2 years notice.

UND can be slotted into the Summit for baseball whenever the Summit sees fit to offer. I can't imagine there's any kind of steep buyout for an auxiliary member of the 72nd best conference in college athletics.
      The Summit doesn't need UND for baseball, it needs UND for every sport.

A six team baseball league is also unacceptable, if Oakland leaves the Summit will be on double secret probation because Omaha doesn't even count yet. I also don't think UND's admin likes Douple, I'm not sure they'll do him any favors. Even if it is better for their bottom line.

Douple has his work cut out for him. The only good thing is that this is anything but a secret, people at NDSU said Oakland was gone months ago.
      Last edited by FargoBison; 05-06-2013, 11:27 PM.

Comment

the Summit League needs UND (and UNC) in all sports, but if they can't leave right away for the other sports they could leave easily for baseball right away. I'm not sure why the Summit League didn't add them for baseball when they went to the WAC. Seemed odd

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          I'm not sure they'll do him any favors. Even if it is better for their bottom line.
          If that's their attitude then they have absolutely no business administering a public institution. If they would refuse to act in the best interests of their employers in order to avoid benefiting someone they don't like, then they are unfit for the responsibilities they have.

It's also overstating matters significantly to assert that the Summit "needs" UND. They could easily add Chicago State. Easily. Would that be a good idea? Heck no, but there are alternatives to UND.

Comment

article in grand forks herald states big sky should open doors for ndsu. columnist stated that ndsu's a.d. doesn't care for douple (und situation). also stated he didn't think ndsu would go now, but, if things with summit become more unstable..........

also in there---ndsu's first choice would be MVC, but, that looks highly unlikely. Horizon would cause travel headaches.

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
              article in grand forks herald states big sky should open doors for ndsu. columnist stated that ndsu's a.d. doesn't care for douple (und situation). also stated he didn't think ndsu would go now, but, if things with summit become more unstable..........

also in there---ndsu's first choice would be MVC, but, that looks highly unlikely. Horizon would cause travel headaches.
              The column said NDSU's President (not AD) was not fond of Douple.

"We also found out last summer that NDSU President Dean Bresciani may not be particularly fond of Douple. It was revealed in emails that Bresciani was critical of the commissioner in a job review for his bizarre handling of UND’s membership bid."

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post

If that was the piece published May 4 in the GF Hearald, it was an opinion piece -- not a news article -- by a sports reporter at the Herald. Keep in mind there's a lot of hostility in Grand Forks focused on a number of parties including SL's Douple. That hostility has a connection, in my opinion, with UND fans being generally out of sorts for several years relating to the NCAA's action on UND's logo and nickname. Personally, I was glad we've had nothing to do with that bunch but that's just my opinion.

Here I am checking the message board at about 1:30 -- no news out of Oakland U or the Horizon League that I have noted. Today is supposed to be the announcement according to some.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                  If that was the piece published May 4 in the GF Hearald, it was an opinion piece -- not a news article -- by a sports reporter at the Herald. Keep in mind there's a lot of hostility in Grand Forks focused on a number of parties including SL's Douple. That hostility has a connection, in my opinion, with UND fans being generally out of sorts for several years relating to the NCAA's action on UND's logo and nickname. Personally, I was glad we've had nothing to do with that bunch but that's just my opinion.

Here I am checking the message board at about 1:30 -- no news out of Oakland U or the Horizon League that I have noted. Today is supposed to be the announcement according to some.
                  The meeting is scheduled for 3 pm CT.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Davidson reportedly leaving SoCon for A-10. The merry-go-round continues spinning.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I think that that Summit is in dire straits, good institutions leave and I think that weakens the league and we keep adding new D1 schools, I am not sure why, but it was said a little while ago that SDSU was approached to join and turned it down, if true I never understood that.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                        I think that that Summit is in dire straits, good institutions leave and I think that weakens the league and we keep adding new D1 schools, I am not sure why, but it was said a little while ago that SDSU was approached to join and turned it down, if true I never understood that.
                        The Summit League is not in dire straits. The last school added was Denver. Denver is not a new D-I school. What league approached SDSU? Are you talking about the WAC? That is a league that is still on life support. The sky is not falling - stay calm

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyRabbitFoot View Post
                          I hope you aren't talking about the WAC. If so, do you really want to be involved with the likes of Grand Canyon? Chicago State? and the rest of mis-fits that will make up the new WAC starting next year?

Beside UNO which other new D1 school did the Summit add?

If, and I mean if OU goes I don't think anyone is thrilled. Yet it has been known for years that they wanted into the Horizon. If OU announces today the ball will be in Douple's court.

Comment

From Jeff Borzello of CBS Sports on Twitter: "@jeffborzello: Oakland is officially joining the Horizon League beginning in July. They were a member of the Summit League."

https://twitter.com/jeffborzello/sta...67481520091136

Comment

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/oa...e-in-july.html

Comment

http://www.oakland.edu/view_news.aspx?sid=34&nid=10102

Comment

Working...
                                X