Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland exit

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
    Not me. Give me a D-II move up over a school that has shown itself to be incompetent over a long period of time. With that said no need to jump at anything, we ok right now. If something more happens - and we haven't found a better option - then and only then do you look at a Chicago St.Chicago St. and New Mexico St. would leave the WAC in a heartbeat no need to be jumpy.
    I agree except for the NMSU. They are like 10 miles from Mexico. It's a hell of a long ways away.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
      I agree except for the NMSU. They are like 10 miles from Mexico. It's a hell of a long ways away.
      Worth reflecting that NMSU-style travel would be the norm if SDSU joined the Big Sky.

Comment

If something more happens you make a choice. New Mexico St. is out of the footprint but is a pretty good school vs. Chicago St. in the footprint but way worse then UMKC ever was. I don't think I would add either unless survival was on the line.

Comment

I don't know what to think. My gut tells me that the Summit will be OK in the near term. I suppose one goal would be to continue to grow and improve in the Summit with an eye on someday being ready to join the MVC.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            I think there will be SERIOUS pushback from CBS et al if the big football schools try to create a Division Double-Plus-One featuring just the Big Five/Six/Whatever conferences. A HUMONGOUS attraction of the current NCAA men's basketball tournament is the David vs. Goliath upset possibilities. Wichita State. George Mason. VCU. Etc., Etc.

Football is one thing. I think the "big schools" will succeed in essentially separating themselves from the NCAA there. But basketball is an entirely different animal.

I think eventually you'll see "BCS" and "FBS" football categories merge together. NCAA D-I-FBS schools that are not lucky enough to be in BCS conferences will be squeezed out into NCAA D-I-FCS.

The NCAA may put some restrictions around Division I membership at the margins, but they're not about to kill the goose that's laying big golden eggs every year--the NCAA men's basketball tournament. The NCAA is already pretty much completely frozen out of the equation as far as big-time football is concerned. But there's a LOT of people with a vested interest in not screwing up the basketball thing too much.
            This has already been considered by the big conference members and they will find a way to appease CBC, ESPN, MidCo SportsNet and whomever else they need to. I'm not saying its going to happen but there is definitely an undercurrent of movement amongst the "power" conferences to form a separate post-season tourney that would include significantly more teams from the "power" conferences and significantly fewer teams from all other conferences. It won't be exclusive to the "power" conferences but it will be much different than it is now.

Look at the budgets, look at what is at stake for these "power" conference teams, there aren't going to be 30 plus non-power conference teams forever.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
              Worth reflecting that NMSU-style travel would be the norm if SDSU joined the Big Sky.
              Agreed. With NMSU you get NMSU (rpi 56) and play in front of 6,000+ at Pan Am Center.

In BSC the same travel gets you, Sac State (rpi 283) at Hornets Nest (1200 cap.) , ISU (rpi 338) in a dome that makes the Dakota Dome look like Valhalla, Portland State (rpi 337) at Stotts Center (2000 cap), UNA (rpi 330) in a dome and EWU (rpi 321) Reece Court isn't too bad.
              Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I don't get what the big thing against D-II schools jumping is. SDSU, NDSU and Northern Colorado all made the tournament within 5 years of being fully eligible. UNO looks as if they will be a good addition within time. UND and USD are making large strides. Florida Gulf Coast was a D-II team not too long ago as well. If a D-II school is willing to go 100% at being D-I (and if they are willing to drop football), its dumb not to say that they won't be an addition to the conference.

Chicago St. has been D-I, but they have been a joke both in terms of athletics and as a University. New Mexico St. isn't a bad addition but travel wouldn't be great, if you could add a Texas school as a travel partner it wouldn't be terrible.

Baseball could be saved if they added UNC, UND and SUU, I'm not sure why they want to be in the WAC, but with baseball who knows the travel is so bad no matter what conference your in it could all even out.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                  I'm not sure why they want to be in the WAC
                  The Summit didn't invite UNC or UND.

I don't know what happened with SUU. Possibly they didn't ask to keep baseball in the Summit, possibly the Summit turned down the request...

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    This has already been considered by the big conference members and they will find a way to appease CBC, ESPN, MidCo SportsNet and whomever else they need to. I'm not saying its going to happen but there is definitely an undercurrent of movement amongst the "power" conferences to form a separate post-season tourney that would include significantly more teams from the "power" conferences and significantly fewer teams from all other conferences. It won't be exclusive to the "power" conferences but it will be much different than it is now.

Look at the budgets, look at what is at stake for these "power" conference teams, there aren't going to be 30 plus non-power conference teams forever.
                    CBS,NBC,ABC make their money from advertising revenue,not subscription fees,why wouldn't they fight a proposal from the power conferences that would decrease their market?In the long run,any form of appeasment would only likely be short term,and could be cut off at any time in the future.Would you really trust these guys?I wouldn't.

Comment

• Re: Oakland exit

As a follower of the Pioneers I’ve been lurking since Denver made its announcement to join the Summit. And for its worth I don’t think the Oakland announcement is a turning point… Based on what has come out Oakland was all but gone as of last year except for concerns over lack of time to arrange scheduling. By only inviting Oakland after examining the playing field for a year it seems that no other schools were either attractive or interested in the Horizon. Continuing that thought with the risk of a Horizon raid minimized the Summit shouldn’t be at risk of collapse. This is not to say the Summit isn’t in need to react itself, clearly for in baseball, but this isn’t a time for panic.

Speaking for the Pioneers I think they are happy to be joining the Summit. The WAC in panic mode invited a schools that Denver doesn’t want to be associated with, in particular Grand Canyon and Chicago State. Denver is first and foremost a hockey school, with an unusual arrangement of athletic priorities, particularly for the west, that places lacrosse as high as basketball. And with their long hockey associations they are happy and comfortable being in a northern plains conference. Sure Denver would prefer the higher visibility and prestige of the MWC, MVC, or WCC, but those conferences either didn't want them or required them to compromise their athletic priorities and contribute travel subsidies. Unless something dramatic happens the Summit is the best place for Denver.

And the Summit they are joining seems to have options… Adding football sponsorship is an option if they add a combination of North Dakota, Northern Colorado, and/or Eastern Illinois. Summit can be attractive to all three as there is a history to leverage and would be able to place all their teams into a single conference. As a multi-sport conference the Summit would get an AQ immediately (i.e. Big Ten Hockey or Atlantic Sun Lacrosse). Another as said would involve trying to find another promising DII school like UNO in St. Cloud, Minnesota State, Lindenwood, or others. The former has the potential to bring long term stability, but it could be argued football is an element a chaos and should be avoided. Not to say bringing up a DII school isn't full of risk.

Comment

Nice, reasoned assessment. Welcome to the board
                        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Thanks... Looking forward to seeing DU play the Summit next year... Home games against the Dakota schools and UNO seem a step up to the string of obscure southeastern teams or what is in the WAC. Personally as a DU supporter I have some reservations about football, but the overall benefits seem to outweigh this somewhat irrational fear. DU could use a local travel partner and as such could benefit from Northern Colorado. While it would be a benefit if the North Dakota hockey rivalry expanded to other sports.

Comment

Working...
                          X