Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Investigate the Big Sky?

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
    I just don't know how UNC factors in. Would they save much in travel costs? If they don't would they gain anything?
    I don't either. Back in D2 days and the NCC, there was a fund used subsidize UNC travel to places such as St Cloud and Mankato. The eastern NCC members contributed to this fund.

So I would not be surprised if UNC would not want to go down that path again, but traveling to Davis Ca and San Luis Obispo can not be cheap either. I use to be envious of UNC when Joe Glenn ran the show and they picked up two NC's, but not now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I don't either. Back in D2 days and the NCC, there was a fund used subsidize UNC travel to places such as St Cloud and Mankato. The eastern NCC members contributed to this fund.

So I would not be surprised if UNC would not want to go down that path again, but traveling to Davis Ca and San Luis Obispo can not be cheap either. I use to be envious of UNC when Joe Glenn ran the show and they picked up two NC's but not now.
      bus travel wouldn't be too much different for those sports, might be a little further but as someone who lived in the black hills I can only imagine what travel is like by bus to some of those outpost in the middle of winter. Air travel is probably easier as Sioux Falls, Fargo, Omaha, Indianapolis are easier then some of the Big Sky opponents. Most schools prefer to go East then West when traveling. With Denver being close and baseball be part of the league I don't think they would be dead against it.

Comment

I have to be honest, I'm not a real big fan of NCC 2.0. I do get some of the arguments and it probably makes sense since our geograhpical location will pose a problem until we can convince other schools/conferences that we will be a consistent power.

My biggest issue with the NCC revisited would be this......7ish years ago the only DI basketball schools in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska were SDSU, NDSU, Minnesota, Nebraska and Creighton....or else 5 schools and 4 states. Now if we try to bring up a Duluth/Mankato or worse yet, both, we will be looking at the previous 5 plus USD, UND, UNO, Duluth and Mankato. We will have effectively doubled the amount of DI schools and just made recruiting that much more difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post
          I have to be honest, I'm not a real big fan of NCC 2.0. I do get some of the arguments and it probably makes sense since our geograhpical location will pose a problem until we can convince other schools/conferences that we will be a consistent power.

My biggest issue with the NCC revisited would be this......7ish years ago the only DI basketball schools in North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska were SDSU, NDSU, Minnesota, Nebraska and Creighton....or else 5 schools and 4 states. Now if we try to bring up a Duluth/Mankato or worse yet, both, we will be looking at the previous 5 plus USD, UND, UNO, Duluth and Mankato. We will have effectively doubled the amount of DI schools and just made recruiting that much more difficult.
          I hate the thought of NCC 2.0. The problem is we're running out/are out of options.

Comment

Originally posted by NebraskaJack View Post

Or it could be that the D1 recruits have more choices to stay! Iowa has lost more than 1 good recruit to the Kansas Jayhawks over the years. So it might be something else that takes recruits. Why did Mike Miller go to Florida instead of any of the closer schools between Mitchell and there? Why did Eric Piatowski(sp) go to the Huskers rather than Colorado? Competition for players is great and I would guess that the Jacks are recruiting or looking to recruit all over the country with the different high school player tourneys going on from now until late summer. Although it is nice to field more local talent for holding that regional identity. I would hope that the NCC 2.0 might be an improved product with Augie and Morningside not in the mix. Something will evolve-I just wish it was quicker and an improvement.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

NCC 2.0>>>>Adding NJIT as a full member just to survive.

We can not let the league to become far flung again.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                NCC 2.0>>>>Adding NJIT as a full member just to survive.

We can not let the league to become far flung again.
                I had hoped that they had begun to turn things around at Chicago State (after all, UNO was a basket case 8 years ago).

Sadly, no: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...-plans-faculty

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  I was wondering if anyone would call him out on that. The Big Sky is a terrible BB conference. Take UM and Weber away and the entire conference is IUPUI circa 2012/13. And yes that inclues the Whioux.As for the OP, living in Colorado I would love to see SDSU come this way. However, when I think logically the Big Sky isn't an option unless the western schools split from the Montana/Utah/Colorado schools. There is no way I see that happening so lets see what Douple has in mind. To you Yote fans, how would you propose that USD pay for a move to the Big Sky? From everything I have read and heard USD has no money. That seems to be the biggest reason they took the MVFC/Summit membership over the Big Sky.
                  I'm not saying the summit is way better, but I laugh at any Big Sky Fan bashing the Summit, we may be unstable but the summit is far enough east nd in the central US that our RPI is higher. the argument that the big fluffy is better that the summit / MVFC jut isn't there.
                  BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                  X