Jackrabbit Stampede

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Stampede

The Jackrabbit Stampede Rodeo is this weekend at the Swiftel Center. Performance times are 7pm Fri night and 1pm & 7pm on Sat. If you've never been to a rodeo, check it out, you won't be disappointed!
    "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Re: Jackrabbit Stampede

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    The Jackrabbit Stampede Rodeo is this weekend at the Swiftel Center. Performance times are 7pm Fri night and 1pm & 7pm on Sat. If you've never been to a rodeo, check it out, you won't be disappointed!
    I second this. Just a great time, especially if you have younger children. Take them to the rodeo, they will love it and you won't regret it.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm going. First rodeo since 1975!

Comment

It has been quite a few years since I've been to the Stampede. Or any rodeo, for that matter. From what I remember, it was a good time, I was young enough last time I went that I got to be part of a group of kids that got to chase after a sheep and try to tackle it. Whoever got it won $100 if I recall correctly. I was the second one and got zilch.

My girls are still a little young, but in a couple years we'll definitely go.
        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

This is one time the Jacks will out do the Bison from NDSU. We got the cowboys and cowgirls, they dont get much support. Buttfootball. The last few years even Dickenson State finish in front of the Bison. USD had a law student competing until about 2 years ago and the Argus did a story on how hard it was to get the proper endorsements from USD. He was a BHSU transfer btw.

Comment

The Jackrabbit Stampede was a great show! Constant action.

Rodeos have changed since I last attended...background music is no longer "traditional" country music (you know the joke: my dog died, ex-wife took my pickup etc.). I heard the likes of David Bowie and Queen, Lady Gaga, Loverboy, Foreigner, Psy's Gangnam Style. The entire show is well-scripted and fast paced.

Figured out that the goats from the goat tying must be talking to the bulls. There's no other explanation for how the bulls mistreat their riders: it's clear the bulls watched the goats, pleading and crying, get slammed on their sides and their legs tied up. In this evening's bull riding -- bulls 10, riders 0. The winner won because he managed to ride 8 seconds yesterday so his average ride time was best.

Attendance was about 90-95 % of capacity in the Swiftel Center. I'll go again.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              The Jackrabbit Stampede was a great show! Constant action.

Rodeos have changed since I last attended...background music is no longer "traditional" country music (you know the joke: my dog died, ex-wife took my pickup etc.). I heard the likes of David Bowie and Queen, Lady Gaga, Loverboy, Foreigner, Psy's Gangnam Style. The entire show is well-scripted and fast paced.

Figured out that the goats from the goat tying must be talking to the bulls. There's no other explanation for how the bulls mistreat their riders: it's clear the bulls watched the goats, pleading and crying, get slammed on their sides and their legs tied up. In this evening's bull riding -- bulls 10, riders 0. The winner won because he managed to ride 8 seconds yesterday so his average ride time was best.

Attendance was about 90-95 % of capacity in the Swiftel Center. I'll go again.
              How did the Bison do? I think I know the answer to that, butt football. I been to the Bison Stampede which is in the fall, and they do not host in a facility like Swiftel. Its held in a horse barn by the racing track.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                How did the Bison do? I think I know the answer to that, butt football. I been to the Bison Stampede which is in the fall, and they do not host in a facility like Swiftel. Its held in a horse barn by the racing track.
                Weak sauce. The Bison, along with the student athletes from the other dozen or so colleges in the Great Plains Region, rode their hearts out. I've been to the Bison Stampede, along with every other rodeo in the Great Plains Region. You are correct, the Bison Stampede is not held in a facility comparable to the Swiftel Center. But, if you are gonna charge $16.50 for adults and $8.50 for kids (per performance), it better be a damn nice facility.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  Weak sauce. The Bison, along with the student athletes from the other dozen or so colleges in the Great Plains Region, rode their hearts out. I've been to the Bison Stampede, along with every other rodeo in the Great Plains Region. You are correct, the Bison Stampede is not held in a facility comparable to the Swiftel Center. But, if you are gonna charge $16.50 for adults and $8.50 for kids (per performance), it better be a damn nice facility.
                  SDSU is fortunate to have supporters, not students, who work through the Foundation to raise the money needed for travel and expenses. In the program for the Jack Stampede, there is mention of a beef calve project, where people can buy the animal, pay for the feed and later it is sold for market value and the proceeds go to the rodeo club. This along with individual donations keep this club sport very visible in the Great Plains Region, and we seem to top all the other schools.

This sport is not cheap. My significant other's grandson did participate last year for Dickensen State, but his eligiblity is complete and did not this year. He has a calf roping horse that cost him about 20k. So to buy one first, you have to be very serious about the event, then its the transportation of his animals to Brookings and other places that comes out of the clubs or individual funds. There are scholarships which take care of school, but the rodeo travel costs, is as I understand up to the indivdual cowboy or cowgirl.

As far as NDSU, they are at a disadvantage in having their home event in the fall, plus the FargoDome is pretty much set up for football and for them hold at the FargoDome, like the PRCA rodeo that was held this past weekend, they too would have charge 25 bucks a head at least to pay the rent at the Dome. So they are probably doing the best they can given their circumstances.

You got to love the rodeo in order to be part of it. And my apologies to the Bison fans who frequent this board, like Jack1 said, they no doubt rode their hearts out. Rodeo is more individual than team so my comments in the prior posts are not fair to the NDSU individuals who participated this weekend in Brookings.

Comment

Working...
                  X