X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland Leaving

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
    Panic is the only logical response to this.

Gather all your clothing and apparel with a Summit League logo on it, throw it in a pile, pour gasoline on it, light it on fire, and dance around the flame buck-naked and clapping two empty coconut-halves together while humming "Nearer, My God To Thee" until the Gods Of College Sports make it rain a new conference for SDSU!
    FIFY.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
      Metro State is facility poor but would have a basketball program that could be instantly competitive. Plus, no football to worry about. I assume that DU would bitch, but maybe not. Do they have a fan base to go with the team? Didn't follow SDSU until they went DI so I don't know.
      That would probably drive Denver out of the Summit...I think the only DII schools to look at are the MN schools, Bellermine and maybe GVSU and Wayne State(Michigan).

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Wild thought--which I'll probably regret--

What if Oakland is being perfectly transparent in saying that they've not been contacted by the Horizon League. What if the A-10 is looking at them, instead?

Hey, if you want to throw out wild, unsubstantiated rumors, they might as well be GOOD wild, unsubstantiated rumors!
        Why not? It's not like Detroit Mercy brings much to the table for A10. Take a look at their attendance numbers since 2008. Their best year average is just a touch over 2500. The rest around 2000. That is with Ray jr and some decent product on the court.
        Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

FIFY.
          I figured nudity, coconuts, and song were implied
          If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
          - Steven Wright

Comment

USD fan here but the best thing (in context of money for the short term)for sdsu is the implosion of the summit league and invite to horizon. You would get all of your credits for both ncaa appearances (500k per year for next 6 years) plus some gravy from the butler credits owed to the horizon league.
            Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

I would love to see the Rabbits land in a more stable conference than the Summit. The main reason is the stability for the non-revenue sports. I just hope that conference isn't a DI North Central Conference. Personally I've really enjoyed being in a conference with NDSU & different teams. Stability will be key. The next couple of years will be interesting.

Go Rabbits!

Comment

More proof that the sky currently isn't falling MVC is weeks away from picking anyone new according to MO State Prez.

http://www.courierpressblogs.com/sports/ue/?p=4185

Comment

Originally posted by 6-4-3 Jackrabbit View Post
                  I would love to see the Rabbits land in a more stable conference than the Summit. The main reason is the stability for the non-revenue sports. I just hope that conference isn't a DI North Central Conference. Personally I've really enjoyed being in a conference with NDSU & different teams. Stability will be key. The next couple of years will be interesting.

Go Rabbits!
                  The dirty little secret is that there are few conferences that are more stable than the Summit League. The only ones that are are the ones at the very top of the food chain--Big 10, SEC, Pac-12, and then the second tier of the Big 12 and ACC. They're the ones most likely to be 'winners' than 'losers' in the conference shuffle game--they've got all the trump cards to play.

After you get past those conferences it gets messy real fast.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

The dirty little secret is that there are few conferences that are more stable than the Summit League. The only ones that are are the ones at the very top of the food chain--Big 10, SEC, Pac-12, and then the second tier of the Big 12 and ACC. They're the ones most likely to be 'winners' than 'losers' in the conference shuffle game--they've got all the trump cards to play.

After you get past those conferences it gets messy real fast.
                    Couldn't agree more. I was looking at it from the non-revenue producing sports. Take baseball for example. If your conference drops below 5 teams the conference loses it's automatic NCAA bid. As you look at the Valley or even the WAC they have much greater stability because of larger numbers. We'll see what happens. Couldn't agree more that things are going to be messy for everyone else.

Comment

Loyola University Chicago just accepted an invitation to the Valley. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2427164.story

Now its the Horizon League's move.

Comment

Originally posted by mmiller_34 View Post
                        Loyola University Chicago just accepted an invitation to the Valley. http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2427164.story

Now its the Horizon League's move.
                        MVC did go with a private rather than public. Loyola has 15,000 enrollment with sturdy academic background. I am not certain about the athletic department, but they will more than likely suffer attendance overall for the MVC numbers.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          MVC did go with a private rather than public. Loyola has 15,000 enrollment with sturdy academic background. I am not certain about the athletic department, but they will more than likely suffer attendance overall for the MVC numbers.
                          Their record this past season was 15 wins 16 loses, and average attendence 2200 for home games. Not too impressive for a Chicago market, but like Chicago State , so many things going on, people do not come out for a 500 team. I suspect the central location was big in choosing Loyola. Travel costs will no doubt be a savings to SIU and ISU red and others. SDSU used to play them a lot in the late 1950's and 1960's but never gave them a close game as I recall. Now I think we could handle them.

Comment

It is now to expected the conference hopping season will open. Hopefully Douple has some good teams on his speed-dial. Recently it ws reported some teams that were showing interest in the Summit were not good fits. Regardless if Oakland would be invited to the Horizon, there is room for some good schools to be invited to the Summit. It would be most encouraging to see Douple's name in the news sooner rather than later.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Everyone thinks Oakland will be invited, they might, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go East, possibly a Pittsburgh (Robbert Morris, Duequense?)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                                Everyone thinks Oakland will be invited, they might, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't go East, possibly a Pittsburgh (Robbert Morris, Duequense?)
                                The Horizon doesn't have much to offer a Pittsburgh school.

I wonder about UALR. The Sun Belt will have 11 all-sports schools and 11 FB schools when all's said and done.

And the Sun Belt is neither more prestigious nor more stable than the Summit these days---if UALR gets none of the conference's FBS money, then there's little incentive to say other than travel costs, and I don't know that the travel costs are going to be that much better as the new Sun Belt is going to stretch from Statesboro, Georgia and Boone, North Carolina to San Marcos, Texas.

Comment

Working...
                                X