X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Oakland Leaving

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    What do you mean about the Butler NCAA credits??
    The NCAA basketball money from when Butler went to the Final Four...that stays with the Horizon League. Conferences get more money based on the performance of its member schools.

Comment

The scary part is there is most likely a few moves left to happen in the next couple of years.....

Will the Big Ten expand to 16 and pilfer the ACC?
      Will the SEC expand to 16 and pilfer the ACC?
      Will the ACC implode?
      What if Kansas goes to the Big Ten?
      Will West Virginia realize its on the EAst Coast?
      What if the PAC 10 decides they need to keep up with the SEC and Big 10?
      What if the PAC 10 raids the Big 12, will they survive?
      Is the new Big East done expanding?
      Will the old Big East members start rebuilding their conference?

......take all of that crap and factor in the trickle down effect. The next couple of years is going to be a wild ride!!

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        The NCAA basketball money from when Butler went to the Final Four...that stays with the Horizon League. Conferences get more money based on the performance of its member schools.
        Does that continiue for a finite time at a predetermined amount? E.g. $250,000 for 5 years or $250,000 for year 1 and a diminished amount for next 4 years.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Me and my $600 worth of summit league tournament tickets for next year just collectively vomited.

Is the Horizon a shinking ship and the rats are bailing? Or is it the Summit league that we should all be worried about? We've now lost 2 quality basketball programs in the last 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            Me and my $600 worth of summit league tournament tickets for next year just collectively vomited.

Is the Horizon a shinking ship and the rats are bailing? Or is it the Summit league that we should all be worried about? We've now lost 2 quality basketball programs in the last 2 years.
            If what's being reported is true (so far nothing official has been announced) we need to get this figured out. I get the impression that the Horizon is going to get hammered. If they take Oakland and steal Denver the Summit is not worth staying in unless Douple can get UND and/or UNC on board. Both would need a invite into the MVFC and Patty and the "we don't want to spend any money" eastern President's better be in agreement on getting it done.

I know some on here hate the idea, but going west is beginning to look better and better. Fullerton once had a dream of putting together a two division Big Sky. It would give us a home for all our sports, keep us out of the WAC. Plus, as an added bonus; it would hang the MVC FB playing schools out to dry.

Comment

Hey, long-time forum lurker and Oakland alum just jumping in....

The fact that Denver gets mentioned as a possible add for the Horizon makes me doubt the entire report a little. The main reason Oakland kept getting tied in to the Horizon talk despite Detroit being afraid of sharing a conference with us is because we were the only high-quality mid-major that fit inside their tight geographic footprint. Denver is so far removed from that footprint that I have to wonder why they would even be in the discussion (unless the Horizon really is going to turn into the Summit with a couple new teams and a TV deal, which would be OK too).

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird View Post
                Hey, long-time forum lurker and Oakland alum just jumping in....

The fact that Denver gets mentioned as a possible add for the Horizon makes me doubt the entire report a little. The main reason Oakland kept getting tied in to the Horizon talk despite Detroit being afraid of sharing a conference with us is because we were the only high-quality mid-major that fit inside their tight geographic footprint. Denver is so far removed from that footprint that I have to wonder why they would even be in the discussion (unless the Horizon really is going to turn into the Summit with a couple new teams and a TV deal, which would be OK too).
                UMKC also makes me wonder about the report...they are not close to any Horizon school plus they are terrible. At least geographically the MVC makes sense for them.

Comment

Oakland AD to reporter Paul Kampe: We have not been contacted by the #HorizonLeague."
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

News report that Oakland hasn't been contacted by the Horizon

http://www.fox11online.com/dpp/sport...horizon-league

Comment

A poster on MVCfans.com mentioned that all the news reports that came out earlier were based upon the same blog out of Milwaukee. A blog in Oklahoma stated it was down to UMKC and ORU just days before.

Additionally according to another poster on that same forum:

According to a tweet from the UE beat writer for the Evansville Courier &
                      Press Litner, the same website that is reporting UIC to the Valley is the same
                      one that reported UE was headed to the Horizon last year so keep that in mind.

My thoughts - I think we need to take all this nonsense well-salted.
                      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Whether these reports are true, partially true, or out in right field, the fact remains the Summit should be proactive. We have dumped a lot of the dead weight and essentially traded Oral Roberts for Denver. We all know Oakland will bolt at the first invite to the Horizon. I think we should be trying to keep Denver happy with their situation in the Summit. Adding UNC will help that out by providing them with a partner. The other logical choice is to bring UND back into the fold. I would think that the Big Sky would stand to lose UND as they are way outside their relm and keep them for only football for the time being since Idaho will be coming in 2014. UNC would be the same. I would prefer to keep flying the Summit flag instead of being absorbed into another league on the same level. Maybe some day we can bring them into the MVFC. I think Summit League football should be a last ditch effort.

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          Whether these reports are true, partially true, or out in right field, the fact remains the Summit should be proactive. We have dumped a lot of the dead weight and essentially traded Oral Roberts for Denver. We all know Oakland will bolt at the first invite to the Horizon. I think we should be trying to keep Denver happy with their situation in the Summit. Adding UNC will help that out by providing them with a partner. The other logical choice is to bring UND back into the fold. I would think that the Big Sky would stand to lose UND as they are way outside their relm and keep them for only football for the time being since Idaho will be coming in 2014. UNC would be the same. I would prefer to keep flying the Summit flag instead of being absorbed into another league on the same level. Maybe some day we can bring them into the MVFC. I think Summit League football should be a last ditch effort.
                          I am not sure how getting UNC into the Summit will make Denver happy? It is more likely to make everyone but Denver happy. If SDSU has to travel to Denver for a non-revenue sport and then can travel to UNC that is good for SDSU, but does nothing for Denver. Is all that adding UNC does for Denver is it makes one bus trip to UNC a year for each sport. Not sure that is enough to make them happy however.

I also don't understand why I read a lot of posts about adding UNC and UND. They both have football and neither school is leaving the Big Sky if they have no home for football. I know that people think the Big Sky will allow them to leave the conference and stay as a football only member. But the Big Sky has never let a member leave the conference and remain as a football only member. Not sure what the advantage of that would be for the Big Sky. The Big Sky is not a bus league anymore and travel just part of doing business in the Big Sky.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)
                          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Metro State is facility poor but would have a basketball program that could be instantly competitive. Plus, no football to worry about. I assume that DU would bitch, but maybe not. Do they have a fan base to go with the team? Didn't follow SDSU until they went DI so I don't know.

Comment

Wild thought--which I'll probably regret--

What if Oakland is being perfectly transparent in saying that they've not been contacted by the Horizon League. What if the A-10 is looking at them, instead?

Hey, if you want to throw out wild, unsubstantiated rumors, they might as well be GOOD wild, unsubstantiated rumors!
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Panic is the only logical response to this.

Gather all your clothing and apparel with a Summit League logo on it, throw it in a pile, pour gasoline on it, light it on fire, and dance around the flames until the Gods Of College Sports make it rain a new conference for SDSU!
                                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                                - Steven Wright

Comment

Working...
                                X