Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Possible Summit League Expansion

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    I'm sure there are prior threads about this, and its kinda taken over other threads in the past. but I couldn't find any recent, so I figured just start a new one.

I feel that to become stable 12 teams would be great, 14 wouldn't be terrible either. I would like to get to 20-22 conference games which means 11-12 team leagues. Geography has to be important, but so does quality of school, I would rather have a quality D-II school committed to going D-I then to take a Chicago State. Some of these schools have been rumored in the past. Some haven't. Some I'm sure would never happen.

#1A target for me would be Eastern Illinois. First I think the MVFC would take them, and then another team could be added to the MVFC to get to 12 teams (2 divisions)(Northern Colorado or North Dakota). If Youngstown leaves the MVFC which is possible with movement out east, then both could be added and now you have 3 more quality teams added to the both the MVFC and the Summit League. Eastern Illinois is an associate member of the Summit League in some Olympic Sports already. Dream Scenario
    Other option here would be to add Northern Colorado and North Dakota and have them keep football in the Big Sky, not sure if the Big Sky would do this or if they would do it.

#1B target would be New Mexico St. If you aren't going to make a move to add 3 quality teams, add 1 strong quality team. Travel isn't great, but its a school with some name recognition and would fit well with Denver as a travel partner. They are FBS for football, so the MVFC wouldn't need to be brought in and the WAC doesn't carry football anymore. My guess would be they would like to find a home for football.

#2 would be to get U of Arkansas-Little Rock, Northern Kentucky and Southern Illinois- Edwardsville. UALR would have to be kicked out of their conference, which seems less likely at least near term, however their AD has said the Summit League would be where they would move to if needed. SIU-Edwardsville and Northern Kentucky have both been mentioned and the Summit League probably could have had them if they wanted them.

#3 would be quality D-II schools committed to going up. Its been rumored the past 3-4 years that St. Cloud State and/or Mankato have seriously looked at dropping football and going D-I, one of the Missouri Schools has looked into it, but they have football. Oklahoma City who was a member of the Mid-Co back in the day has looked into it.

#4 would be to eventually let Oral Bob and UMKC back in, I'm willing to bet my car that UMKC will want back in within 5 years, if they show they are committed to basketball I'm open to it. Oral Bob I would let back in, some say they are happy, but IDK, they seem like the guy who thinks he can get a 10, so he is never happy with the solid 8's he gets.

Updates already. Idaho and New Mexico St. will move their football programs the Sun Belt and Idaho will move other sports to the Big Sky. Its another blow to the WAC. I'd be surprised if NMSU wants to stay in a even less stable WAC.
    Not trying to be difficult here, but if a league goes to 12 teams...don't they have divisions? you play your division twice...but the other half, only once? So if it was 12...you are looking at 16 conference games... not 22.

:shrug:

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
      Not trying to be difficult here, but if a league goes to 12 teams...don't they have divisions? you play your division twice...but the other half, only once? So if it was 12...you are looking at 16 conference games... not 22.

:shrug:
      It depends you can do it however, my guess is divisions would factor in. , but they would go more then 16 conference games, 22 is probably high but 18-20 is very realistic. They've had 10 teams which is 18 games. I just look at it in if the truth is they play Dakota State and SMSU is because they can't get home games, adding within the conference can help with that. My guess is most everyone in the conference is having similar issues as most still do play D-II games.

Comment

More speculation about Oakland leaving for the Horizon...this time I am pretty certain it will be a reality...

Multiple anonymous sources are confirming to PantherU that Oakland is indeed coming to the Horizon League, confirming what was reported in the Green Bay Press Gazette by Rob Demovsky on April 4th. The Horizon League will likely announce Oakland in the next couple weeks.

Oakland University, located just twenty miles away from the University of Detroit Mercy, brings the membership back to nine programs. No word on whether or not a tenth member was forthcoming, although none of PantherU's sources had any idea.
        http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/c...adding-Oakland

Comment

If this move is on the clock, Douple ought to have some reports as well to keep the Summit going forward. Everyone will need to work on schedules. Would Oakland want to schedule a couple of OOC games in the Dakotas??
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

The only good news for the Summit is that the Horizon appears to be pretty well set against adding IUPUI or IPFW. Obviously baseball is now a huge issue for the Summit. Why the league didn't add UND or UNC for that sport continues to bewilder me.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              The only good news for the Summit is that the Horizon appears to be pretty well set against adding IUPUI or IPFW. Obviously baseball is now a huge issue for the Summit. Why the league didn't add UND or UNC for that sport continues to bewilder me.
              UND I'm not sure, I still think the league is upset with them, a with the name and b with them turning down the SL visit after begging for one for years. With UNC from a couple articles I've read it sounded as if they wanted to join with all sports or that was the talk and the league was hesitant because of travel, but with Denver in the league it wouldn't be an issue. I do think they will be added in all sports (football will stay in BigSky), if not for next year the following year.

I'm still somewhat skeptical on them with Oakland, I think they know they can have Oakland at any time and would prefer to go after a new area (Pittsburgh, or Kentucky/Tennessee)

Comment

UND I'm not sure, I still think the league is upset with them, a with the name and b with them turning down the SL visit after begging for one for years. With UNC from a couple articles I've read it sounded as if they wanted to join with all sports or that was the talk and the league was hesitant because of travel, but with Denver in the league it wouldn't be an issue. I do think they will be added in all sports (football will stay in BigSky), if not for next year the following year.

I'm still somewhat skeptical on them with Oakland, I think they know they can have Oakland at any time and would prefer to go after a new area (Pittsburgh, or Kentucky/Tennessee)
                The HL might want Murray State and Belmont but I don't think that feeling is mutual. Belmont is in the middle of the OVC footprint, lots of regional rivals and easy travel. The nearest HL school is a long ways away. Murray State also plays football in the OVC and RMU in the NEC, obviously the HL does nothing for football.

The HL doesn't have a lot of options. It is basically NKU or Summit League schools.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  The HL might want Murray State and Belmont but I don't think that feeling is mutual. Belmont is in the middle of the OVC footprint, lots of regional rivals and easy travel. The nearest HL school is a long ways away. Murray State also plays football in the OVC and RMU in the NEC, obviously the HL does nothing for football.

The HL doesn't have a lot of options. It is basically NKU or Summit League schools.
                  No doubt, but first I'm not sold on this source, he hasn't been too accurate this year with conference re alignment. And second I don't think they want Oakland, they will take Oakland if its the best choice, but they want someone else. Now I agree with you on the part that it has to be mutual and it probably isn't. But when I hear reports that say anonymous and announcement to come in following weeks I see more speculation then reporting.

Comment

I'm sure there are prior threads about this, and its kinda taken over other threads in the past. but I couldn't find any recent, so I figured just start a new one.

I feel that to become stable 12 teams would be great, 14 wouldn't be terrible either. I would like to get to 20-22 conference games which means 11-12 team leagues. Geography has to be important, but so does quality of school, I would rather have a quality D-II school committed to going D-I then to take a Chicago State. Some of these schools have been rumored in the past. Some haven't. Some I'm sure would never happen.

#1A target for me would be Eastern Illinois. First I think the MVFC would take them, and then another team could be added to the MVFC to get to 12 teams (2 divisions)(Northern Colorado or North Dakota). If Youngstown leaves the MVFC which is possible with movement out east, then both could be added and now you have 3 more quality teams added to the both the MVFC and the Summit League. Eastern Illinois is an associate member of the Summit League in some Olympic Sports already. Dream Scenario
                    Other option here would be to add Northern Colorado and North Dakota and have them keep football in the Big Sky, not sure if the Big Sky would do this or if they would do it.

#1B target would be New Mexico St. If you aren't going to make a move to add 3 quality teams, add 1 strong quality team. Travel isn't great, but its a school with some name recognition and would fit well with Denver as a travel partner. They are FBS for football, so the MVFC wouldn't need to be brought in and the WAC doesn't carry football anymore. My guess would be they would like to find a home for football.

#2 would be to get U of Arkansas-Little Rock, Northern Kentucky and Southern Illinois- Edwardsville. UALR would have to be kicked out of their conference, which seems less likely at least near term, however their AD has said the Summit League would be where they would move to if needed. SIU-Edwardsville and Northern Kentucky have both been mentioned and the Summit League probably could have had them if they wanted them.

#3 would be quality D-II schools committed to going up. Its been rumored the past 3-4 years that St. Cloud State and/or Mankato have seriously looked at dropping football and going D-I, one of the Missouri Schools has looked into it, but they have football. Oklahoma City who was a member of the Mid-Co back in the day has looked into it.

#4 would be to eventually let Oral Bob and UMKC back in, I'm willing to bet my car that UMKC will want back in within 5 years, if they show they are committed to basketball I'm open to it. Oral Bob I would let back in, some say they are happy, but IDK, they seem like the guy who thinks he can get a 10, so he is never happy with the solid 8's he gets.

Updates already. Idaho and New Mexico St. will move their football programs the Sun Belt and Idaho will move other sports to the Big Sky. Its another blow to the WAC. I'd be surprised if NMSU wants to stay in a even less stable WAC.
                    The whole idea that UALR is moving to the Summit League just goes to show how delusional and desperate this board is. Crap, the only reasons that UALR was ever mentioned years ago was because the Sun Belt had talked about going all-football (now the bylaws require 12 conference sports, which UALR meets) and that UMKC, Oral Roberts, and Centenary would have made a decent group. But those three abandoned the Summit League because of all the outback Dakota schools and where the conference tournament is played. Get a grip on the reality: nobody outside the northern plains wants a part of your precious league.

Comment

Originally posted by LRTrojan View Post
                      The whole idea that UALR is moving to the Summit League just goes to show how delusional and desperate this board is. Crap, the only reasons that UALR was ever mentioned years ago was because the Sun Belt had talked about going all-football (now the bylaws require 12 conference sports, which UALR meets) and that UMKC, Oral Roberts, and Centenary would have made a decent group. But those three abandoned the Summit League because of all the outback Dakota schools and where the conference tournament is played. Get a grip on the reality: nobody outside the northern plains wants a part of your precious league.
                      If you cant say anything complimentary, then maybe you should go back to your own message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Why dont you just go back to the hogs and take a dump, maybe the hogs will eat you alive.
                        "Cast not your pearls before swine." Guess I must be among the swine here.

Comment

Ha!...you think you're casting pearls....what an idiot!!!

Comment

UALR's Athletic Director is from South Dakota and has stated that though the Sun Belt is his preferred conference that the Summit League would be the #2 option if it had to leave.

Did I ever say that UALR wanted to leave? Did I say that they would leave? I think you just wanted to take a shot at a better conference so you took some of my words and then read them wrong to make your point.

Comment

My favorite part of UALR is how much of a national powerhouse their football program was when the school was known as Little Rock Junior College. Great times; especially when they destroyed Coffeyville Junior College 31-7 in the Coffee Bowl--just phenomenal.

I hope I never see UALR in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by LRTrojan View Post
                                Hey
                                u-mad-bro.jpg
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X