Possible Summit League Expansion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible Summit League Expansion

I'm sure there are prior threads about this, and its kinda taken over other threads in the past. but I couldn't find any recent, so I figured just start a new one.

I feel that to become stable 12 teams would be great, 14 wouldn't be terrible either. I would like to get to 20-22 conference games which means 11-12 team leagues. Geography has to be important, but so does quality of school, I would rather have a quality D-II school committed to going D-I then to take a Chicago State. Some of these schools have been rumored in the past. Some haven't. Some I'm sure would never happen.

#1A target for me would be Eastern Illinois. First I think the MVFC would take them, and then another team could be added to the MVFC to get to 12 teams (2 divisions)(Northern Colorado or North Dakota). If Youngstown leaves the MVFC which is possible with movement out east, then both could be added and now you have 3 more quality teams added to the both the MVFC and the Summit League. Eastern Illinois is an associate member of the Summit League in some Olympic Sports already. Dream Scenario
    Other option here would be to add Northern Colorado and North Dakota and have them keep football in the Big Sky, not sure if the Big Sky would do this or if they would do it.

#1B target would be New Mexico St. If you aren't going to make a move to add 3 quality teams, add 1 strong quality team. Travel isn't great, but its a school with some name recognition and would fit well with Denver as a travel partner. They are FBS for football, so the MVFC wouldn't need to be brought in and the WAC doesn't carry football anymore. My guess would be they would like to find a home for football.

#2 would be to get U of Arkansas-Little Rock, Northern Kentucky and Southern Illinois- Edwardsville. UALR would have to be kicked out of their conference, which seems less likely at least near term, however their AD has said the Summit League would be where they would move to if needed. SIU-Edwardsville and Northern Kentucky have both been mentioned and the Summit League probably could have had them if they wanted them.

#3 would be quality D-II schools committed to going up. Its been rumored the past 3-4 years that St. Cloud State and/or Mankato have seriously looked at dropping football and going D-I, one of the Missouri Schools has looked into it, but they have football. Oklahoma City who was a member of the Mid-Co back in the day has looked into it.

#4 would be to eventually let Oral Bob and UMKC back in, I'm willing to bet my car that UMKC will want back in within 5 years, if they show they are committed to basketball I'm open to it. Oral Bob I would let back in, some say they are happy, but IDK, they seem like the guy who thinks he can get a 10, so he is never happy with the solid 8's he gets.

Updates already. Idaho and New Mexico St. will move their football programs the Sun Belt and Idaho will move other sports to the Big Sky. Its another blow to the WAC. I'd be surprised if NMSU wants to stay in a even less stable WAC.
    Last edited by joeboo22; 03-25-2013, 07:02 PM.

Re: Possible Summit League Expansion

A somewhat related topic; is the MVFC a help or hindrance to the future of the SL?
    USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
      A somewhat related topic; is the MVFC a help or hindrance to the future of the SL?
      It is not a great help, its why the conference has looked at being the sponsor in the past.

Comment

Was the logical move at the time, but have to wonder how things would be today had SDSU & NDSU stayed in the Great West football conference?
        USD Fan

Comment

The MVFC is THE PREMIER mid-west FCS football conference. Unfortunately the Dakota schools are the western limit of the mid-west. The eastern schools of the conference think that Dakotas are TOO far to go 2x a year (hence the schedules shift so the eastern Schools only come west 1x a year). If Summit can pick up 2 (not 1) so that Summit has 6 members to MV's 5 (Youngstown is in Horizon), could reorganize into the Summit/MV play a 5-3 and let the MV/Horizon mostly avoid the 2 trips west.

Comment

The MVFC is neither a help or a hinderance but Summit League football will be the death of the Summit League.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              The MVFC is neither a help or a hinderance but Summit League football will be the death of the Summit League.
              It probably is, hence the reason that The Summit League didn't chose to sponsor it after they evaluated it a few years ago.

Comment

I think the Summit could add a football playing member to the MVFC if say the MVC decides to add Murray State. That said it seems like the MVC is set on adding a private school...I do think at some point that conference is going to blow up. Having two factions of schools is just a ticking time bomb.

NMSU is interesting since it appears they will get a football only bid to join the Sun Belt....I'd imagine they would want to be in a better Olympic sports conference but adding them would really stretch the footprint.

Comment

Summit football right now would appear to be the old NCC core. That would potentially scare off the non-football schools. But those non-football schools need to start actually winning (Oakland, you're good), IPFW, IUPUI looking at you.

Comment

I do think we might have reasonable shot of going after NKU again....it sounds like the ASun might be about to get raided.

As for MN schools I still like the idea of Mankato...all the other hockey schools left them behind so maybe DI mid-major hoops could be their niche. I only want one MN school though...there is only so much DI talent in the area to go around.

Comment

I do think we might have reasonable shot of going after NKU again....it sounds like the ASun might be about to get raided.

As for MN schools I still like the idea of Mankato...all the other hockey schools left them behind so maybe DI mid-major hoops could be their niche. I only want one MN school though...there is only so much DI talent in the area to go around.
                      Adding "Minnesota State" rather than "St. Cloud State" passes the name-check test, as well.

Maybe we can talk Mankato into joining the WAC until they've gone through their D-II to D-I transition. I really think the Summit needs to get out of the D-II uplift business if at all possible.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                        Adding "Minnesota State" rather than "St. Cloud State" passes the name-check test, as well.

Maybe we can talk Mankato into joining the WAC until they've gone through their D-II to D-I transition. I really think the Summit needs to get out of the D-II uplift business if at all possible.
                        Sadly I'm not sure we can get out of that business. We do however need to add the right DII schools...Omaha in my opinion will prove to be a great addition. If we can get an MN school to focus more on basketball it could also be a great addition. I think it would also help make the league more relevant in MN...perhaps leading to a small FSN TV contract.

Comment

Sadly I'm not sure we can get out of that business. We do however need to add the right DII schools...Omaha in my opinion will prove to be a great addition. If we can get an MN school to focus more on basketball it could also be a great addition. I think it would also help make the league more relevant in MN...perhaps leading to a small FSN TV contract.
                          Yeah. But after Mankato, no more.

We can stop at any time.

OK, maybe Grand Valley State, but after that, forget it.

OK, fine, maybe Southern Indiana.

OK, we'll stop after . . .
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Would UND be a good fit for our league now that they are clearing up their mascot problem. I think reignited another rivalry between state schools would be good for overall attendance and like USD will beable to make it to Sioux Falls to help fill the new arena.

Comment

Originally posted by sdsu_drake View Post
                              Would UND be a good fit for our league now that they are clearing up their mascot problem. I think reignited another rivalry between state schools would be good for overall attendance and like USD will beable to make it to Sioux Falls to help fill the new arena.
                              My guess is the money would be better for them as would travel. I just don't know though if they would consider it, even if football could be worked out. Maybe if Northern Colorado came with them. The UND fan base is very stubborn, they claim that the geography is better for recruiting and they have more alum in the Big Sky foot print.

While I honestly believe Northern Colorado would jump to the Summit if football could join the MVFC, I don't know if I can say the same about UND. I do think they would be a great add, both geographically and sport wise, and they have baseball which needs to be added to maintain the auto-bid

Comment

Working...
                              X