2014 Recruits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014 Recruits

Nate's school was an AAAA school in Mn meaning they had around 1500 kids in 10-12th grade. Take a kid like Andres goes in the end he should have redshirted. The competition level was too much this year. Next year, I absolutely believe he'll be ready. In fact, I overestimated his readiness early in the year cuz I watched him compete game after game in AAU and get it done. I hope I'm wrong about Daum but AAU is just such a poor indicator of whether a kid is ready to play. I'm sure he's a great shooter, so was Andres in his school but the physicality and quickness got to him and it affected his confidence. The kid from Augustana (I believe) that quit basketball this year was solid in AAU but not ready for D2. It's just a bigger jump from small school to d1 than people think. Regardless of whether you played for Howard Pulley or NE's top AAU program.

Comment

Originally posted by GopherHole View Post
      No doubt Nate was a diamond in the rough, but he did cut his teeth against "large schools". During his senior year, their only loss was in the semi finals of the 4A State Tournament. Hopkins beat them that year and many thought at the time that it was one of the best high school teams ever in Minnesota. Gophers recruit, Royce White was the star for Hopkins, but they also had other high profile recruits that had commitments from Notre Dame, Santa Clara, and Arizona State.

I believe Daum has potential based on his AAU experience, unfortunately he did not face significant competition on a regular basis. Most schools in the western half of Nebraska have difficulties when they make it to the state tourney because they lack depth in quality teams with high caliber players. They routinely played games against competition with class enrollment a of 25 to 50 kids per graduating class. Nate cut his teeth routinely against high school competition from the highest level in Minnesota.
      You are exactly right. It wasn't the best comparison. Nate had a nice pedigree just not much for offers. He had some excellent teammates on that St. Cloud team as well. Did any of them have college success? Sorry for the thread drift, thinking out loud.
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ptJackrabbit View Post
        Nate's school was an AAAA school in Mn meaning they had around 1500 kids in 10-12th grade. Take a kid like Andres goes in the end he should have redshirted. The competition level was too much this year. Next year, I absolutely believe he'll be ready. In fact, I overestimated his readiness early in the year cuz I watched him compete game after game in AAU and get it done. I hope I'm wrong about Daum but AAU is just such a poor indicator of whether a kid is ready to play. I'm sure he's a great shooter, so was Andres in his school but the physicality and quickness got to him and it affected his confidence. The kid from Augustana (I believe) that quit basketball this year was solid in AAU but not ready for D2. It's just a bigger jump from small school to d1 than people think. Regardless of whether you played for Howard Pulley or NE's top AAU program.
        I don't disagree with this, but I'm not sure it was that he wasn't ready for D2 ball, it was more personal issues. He actually started 21 of 31 games and averaged 7 ppg and 4 rpg as a true freshman at Augie. Not earth-shattering by any means, but you can tell the talent and potential are/were there, and he played hard all season long. He left at the beginning of this past season for personal reasons, as mentioned, but it's been announced that he'll be returning next season, which is good for us Augie fans. Just wanted to clarify on that front.

That being said, yes, there are definitely kids who aren't ready to make that jump, regardless of how well the play in high school or AAU. Especially when the summer AAU circuit is strictly playing games all day (not having to worry about academics, social events, etc.). Once you throw in the adjustments you have to make in college as far as academics, moving away from home, adjusting to new social situations, etc., it can be tricky for anyone, whether they're an AAU stud or simply a small town hero.

Comment

I think what we are getting at here is there are no guaratees when it comes to recruiting.....especially at our level. The coaches recruit kids they think they can develop into D1 players.

Ive said this several times, but we wont see many freshman that are going to have a major impact. Most of our kids need to be developed into D1 players. Brayden Carlson is a perfect example.

Comment

Interesting discussion on Mike Daum.

The funny thing is, I think he may end up being our biggest contributor next year out of the true freshman.

Throw the high school competition out the the window, he has the skill set that'll allow him to find a niche early in his career to warrant minutes even if he isn't physically ready to bang down low against the veteran posts in the league. At 6'9"/6'10", he'll be one of the tallest players in the league regardless of position and his shooting ability will either force teams to defend him with a smaller player who he can physically match up with or force the opposing big man away from the basket and chase him around the perimeter.

We could very well see something similar to Dykstra's freshman year where he didn't score a ton around the hoop, but still manage to put up solid freshman numbers because he is a tough match up.

I've mentioned this before, but it needs to be reiterated. 99% of incoming freshman big men aren't physically ready to compete down low night in and night out at the college level, and the 1% that are aren't coming to SDSU. Most of the time it takes a couple years of a college weight lifting program and adjusting one's game to deal with the physicality while still playing with control. Traditionally, the biggest jump in improvement of a college post is between his 2nd and 3rd year in the program, which is why I'm very optimistic about Connor Devine next year. He has actually looked pretty good in the limited minutes he's played this year, and would have probably played a lot more had it not been for him getting sick mid year and being behind 3 upper classman.
            If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
            - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
              Interesting discussion on Mike Daum.

The funny thing is, I think he may end up being our biggest contributor next year out of the true freshman.

Throw the high school competition out the the window, he has the skill set that'll allow him to find a niche early in his career to warrant minutes even if he isn't physically ready to bang down low against the veteran posts in the league. At 6'9"/6'10", he'll be one of the tallest players in the league regardless of position and his shooting ability will either force teams to defend him with a smaller player who he can physically match up with or force the opposing big man away from the basket and chase him around the perimeter.

We could very well see something similar to Dykstra's freshman year where he didn't score a ton around the hoop, but still manage to put up solid freshman numbers because he is a tough match up.

I've mentioned this before, but it needs to be reiterated. 99% of incoming freshman big men aren't physically ready to compete down low night in and night out at the college level, and the 1% that are aren't coming to SDSU. Most of the time it takes a couple years of a college weight lifting program and adjusting one's game to deal with the physicality while still playing with control. Traditionally, the biggest jump in improvement of a college post is between his 2nd and 3rd year in the program, which is why I'm very optimistic about Connor Devine next year. He has actually looked pretty good in the limited minutes he's played this year, and would have probably played a lot more had it not been for him getting sick mid year and being behind 3 upper classman.
              Several good points here and rep pts. given. I often wondered if any of the Hoosiers players went on to play college ball, that is the real team on which the movie and story was written. Any comparisons to modern day players is a real reach when we consider all the changes made of the game. Another reaching fact is the recruitment of Don Jacobsen from little Lake Norden High school. Lake Norden high school was not too large before the consolidation into Hamlin County. The fact that he set a total scoring record in SD might have made him attractive, but no doubt Coach Iverson seen him play more than once and thought, we better get this guy before Clodfleter from USD does. The same applys to Daum. Its a long way to Kimball Nebraska, darn near the Wyoming boarder, but some of the staff have no doubt seen him play and know how dominating he is at the C-2 level. I trust the coaching staff this choice. The size of the high school and level of competition really do not matter much, but the competitive spirit inside the player counts a whole bunch.

Comment

[QUOTE=Nidaros;250620I often wondered if any of the Hoosiers players went on to play college ball, that is the real team on which the movie and story was written.[/QUOTE]

Yes. Look up Milan, Indiana and Bobby Plump on the internet...start with Wikipedia.

Okay, back to the subject of this thread. Connor DeVine put on 17-20 lbs but then lost it when he got sick mid-season. I think KEMO is right in his optimism on Connor for the next two seasons.

Comment

Next 3 seasons for Connor- he is a redshirt freshman currently
                  Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                      Yes. Look up Milan, Indiana and Bobby Plump on the internet...start with Wikipedia.

Okay, back to the subject of this thread. Connor DeVine put on 17-20 lbs but then lost it when he got sick mid-season. I think KEMO is right in his optimism on Connor for the next two seasons.
                      Thanks googled Bobby Plumb and is still remembered with more than one hall of fame induction. He had a great career at Butler. Hmm could that have influenced the film and the state tourney being filmed at Butler. Of course the domes in Indy did not exist at the time and Bulter might have had the largest seating capacity at the time. But I digress. The point is that small school kids with skills and desire can rise to the top.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                        Thanks googled Bobby Plumb and is still remembered with more than one hall of fame induction. He had a great career at Butler. Hmm could that have influenced the film and the state tourney being filmed at Butler. Of course the domes in Indy did not exist at the time and Bulter might have had the largest seating capacity at the time. But I digress. The point is that small school kids with skills and desire can rise to the top.
                        The original game depicted in the film was played at the Butler gym. Only makes sense to film the movie in the same gym that the original game was played. Just FYI.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Deondre Parks named JUCO All-American. https://njcaa.org/sports_awards.cfm?...divid=2&slid=2

Comment

Deondre Parks was selected to play in the JUCO all star game in Las Vegas....http://www.mlive.com/sports/flint/in...ints_deon.html

Comment

Working...
                            X