Vandrovec Family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vandrovec Family

as of one hour ago Kailey was regressing on the intubation and they are seriously considering flying to Minneapolis for further treatment, her condition is not good.

Comment

They are on board a plane en route to Minneapolis. Ugh.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Terry's wife, Jess, just posted on the CaringBridge site that they are about to board the plane to the children's hospital in Minneapolis. So heartbreaking to read. God bless the Vandrovecs.

Comment

Just awful. I have never met Terry, but kinda feel like I know him through his work covering SDSU. I start every morning reading his blog.

I can't imagine what this is like for them. The financial burden has to be overwhelming. With that said would there be any interest in putting together a group monetary donation from all us as SDSUfans.com? This would all be with Filbert's blessing of course. I would be willing to help facilitate it. I'm thinking the easiest way may be by using Paypal. Probably wouldn't amount to much, but might buy them a tank of gas or something to get back and forth to the Cities.

Thoughts?

Comment

Great idea.

Comment

Most recent post said their flight was uneventful and that they are now headed to the hospital in Minneapolis.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                Just awful. I have never met Terry, but kinda feel like I know him through his work covering SDSU. I start every morning reading his blog.

I can't imagine what this is like for them. The financial burden has to be overwhelming. With that said would there be any interest in putting together a group monetary donation from all us as SDSUfans.com? This would all be with Filbert's blessing of course. I would be willing to help facilitate it. I'm thinking the easiest way may be by using Paypal. Probably wouldn't amount to much, but might buy them a tank of gas or something to get back and forth to the Cities.

Thoughts?
                PayPal takes a cut.

My suggestion would be:

to PM pledges to MontanaRabbit--say through this coming weekend--and we'll see what we can come up with.

MontanaRabbit will let me know how much gets pledged, I'll send a check to TV (probably via the Argus-Leader, I guess), and y'all can make good with MontanaRabbit and he can forward what he receives to me.

A bit more cumbersome, but avoids the PayPal fees that they'd extract. And I got my snowblower out today and blew out two neighbors' driveways, so I'm filled with the ol' Upper-Midwest "we're all in this together" spirit anyway.

I'm good for $100 (at least).

Let's be about it.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  PayPal takes a cut.

My suggestion would be:

to PM pledges to MontanaRabbit--say through this coming weekend--and we'll see what we can come up with.

MontanaRabbit will let me know how much gets pledged, I'll send a check to TV (probably via the Argus-Leader, I guess), and y'all can make good with MontanaRabbit and he can forward what he receives to me.

A bit more cumbersome, but avoids the PayPal fees that they'd extract. And I got my snowblower out today and blew out two neighbors' driveways, so I'm filled with the ol' Upper-Midwest "we're all in this together" spirit anyway.

I'm good for $100 (at least).

Let's be about it.
                  There are two ways to send money through Paypal. Goods and Gifts. If you send as a gift, they don't take a cut. Allows friends and family to send money with out getting charged.

I will give everyone the option on how they want to get me their donation. You can:

1) Send it snail mail.
                  2) Paypal.

Just PM me your pledge and how you would like to do it and I will get you the appropriate info. I will start a new thread and post everyone's pledges in that new thread next to their SDSUfans handle. If you would like to keep it anonymous, just let me know and I won't post your handle.

I will give $50 to keep the ball rolling.

Comment

There are two ways to send money through Paypal. Goods and Gifts. If you send as a gift, they don't take a cut.
                    Didn't know that. Cool. Consider my above pledge made. Let me know how to proceed from there.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Sounds like its getting worse again. might have to go to the cities and try ECMO. The good Doc could probably explain that a little better. Almost feel guilty i get to go home from work now and see my little guy. Can't imagine what they are feeling right now.
                      Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation is basically lung bypass. When a patients lungs (usual only neonates or children) aren't able to adequately provide the oxygen needed for the bodies metabolic functions ECMO can be employed. It is highly complex and reserved for only the most ill patients. As is obvious to everyone this girl is in serious, critical condition and her prognosis is guarded at best.

Other supportive modes of oxygenation include High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV) they may also be trying that.
                      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Extra Corporeal Membrane Oxygenation is basically lung bypass. When a patients lungs (usual only neonates or children) aren't able to adequately provide the oxygen needed for the bodies metabolic functions ECMO can be employed. It is highly complex and reserved for only the most ill patients. As is obvious to everyone this girl is in serious, critical condition and her prognosis is guarded at best.

Other supportive modes of oxygenation include High Frequency Oscillatory Ventilation (HFOV) they may also be trying that.
                        would hyperbaric treatment work or is that more for healing the lungs after. When I had an upper respiratory pneumonia bacteria and staph infection in my throat, leading to a tracheotomy, for the last week in PICU they would put me in the
                        hyperbaric chamber for two hours a day which worked.

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                          would hyperbaric treatment work or is that more for healing the lungs after. When I had an upper respiratory pneumonia bacteria and staph infection in my throat, leading to a tracheotomy, for the last week in PICU they would put me in the
                          hyperbaric chamber for two hours a day which worked.
                          Hyperbaric O2 has a role in treating certain conditions like infection due to organisms that do not like oxygen or poisoning with carbon monoxide but not for respiratory failure due to acute lung injury (ALI) or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) which is likely what Kailey is suffering from.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Thanks JackMD for providing that information. I am so impressed with the amazing strength Terry and Jessica are showing through all of this. What an awful situation and what amazing people they are.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              Hyperbaric O2 has a role in treating certain conditions like infection due to organisms that do not like oxygen or poisoning with carbon monoxide but not for respiratory failure due to acute lung injury (ALI) or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) which is likely what Kailey is suffering from.
                              From the little I know about medicine, which is about a thimble full of water in the ocean, I do know that ARDS is really bad news. I am really feeling for the Vandrovecs. They are most definitely in my thoughts.
                              "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
                              "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Jess just updated the CaringBridge site. Seems Kailey is stable and they have been able to reduce her oxygen. Certainly sounds like a small step in the right direction.

Comment

Working...
                                X