UMKC to the WAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UMKC to the WAC?

Provided there are no other defections, this is a win for the league. Dump one of the lowest RPI teams in UMKC and add a solid program in Denver. Only problem is that the league is back to 9 teams, making conference scheduling a little more difficult, but nothing that can't be worked around.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
      Not sure what to make of this, but I just received an invite to the WAC.
      Meh. You can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        So what does everyone think the chances of NDSU and SDSU in the Valley?

If that does how many people would have predicted that in 2004?

Kinda fun to sit back and look at where we've been and what the future holds. Can't help but think it's very bright for both schools.

Both have shown to be competitive in football and men's basketball.
        I think the fact that TV reports "some kind of release" rather than a press conference is . . . interesting.

I have no doubt that the UMKC AD has an offer on his desk for UMKC to join the WAC.

The question is: would this be a good move for UMKC? I just don't see it, myself. Sure, you're traveling to the west and the south, rather than to the east and the north, but overall you're traveling more, and you're leaving a floating, pretty-well-patched up boat for one that's barely above water and which the next wave of conference realignments might completely swamp.

To be honest, I'd rather make the Summit League stronger than succumb to the "grass is always greener" syndrome. If I were Tom Douple, the AD's from Northern Colorado and UND would have at this point on their desks a standing invitation to join the Summit League. And I'd have invitation letters prepared and in the file for St. Cloud State and Minnesota State-Mankato, and maybe even for Northern Iowa, UWGB, Milwaukee, Loyola-Chicago, Illinois-Chicago, and Valparaiso, too, along with Eastern Illinois and perhaps one or two other football-playing members of the Ohio Valley.

But if I were Justin Sell, I'd also likely have MVC Commissioner Doug Elgin--if not on speed-dial, at least in my Contacts list.

Because chance favors the prepared mind.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You would think if they were staying they'd flat out deny the rumors right now, why wait?

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
            You would think if they were staying they'd flat out deny the rumors right now, why wait?
            They might be getting Matt Brown to agree to a 6 year extension on the transition.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              Boy this move would make no sense to me. The only thing I can think of that would benefit UMKC is the BB tourney money. NCAA pays out based on bids and wins over a 6 year period. The conference should still get a good chunk of change from this, I think. Not sure if this is what is driving this decision or not. But if UMKC wants to leave, I would be all for it.
              I agree, this move is a mystery to me, but I don't know all the politics involved. I hate to see the continual change in the Summit but I would think that there are options out there that would be a decent upgrade over KC. A team with some actual interest from their home market would be nice.

Comment

You'd think if they were leaving, it would be a press conference, not a release. Of course, the release could be the announcement of the press conference.

Could be that this is a trial balloon they're floating for donors/potential donors.

Could be that they're still negotiating their way out of whatever buyout the Summit requires.

Who knows, at this point?
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  the AD's from Northern Colorado and UND would have at this point on their desks a standing invitation to join the Summit League
                  If they required a site visit before admitting the impeccably credentialed University of Denver, I'm pretty sure UNs C & D would require same.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    If they required a site visit before admitting the impeccably credentialed University of Denver, I'm pretty sure UNs C & D would require same.
                    Well, yeah, the letter would have somewhere in it "subject to the blah blah blah . . ." standard cruft.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

They are disparately trying, problem is the Sun Belt doesn't want their football team. Plus New Mexico doesn't want them in the MWC and UTEP doesn't want them in the CUSA.
                      This line of thought (while reality) always confuses me. Why wouldn't New Mexico or UTEP want a close, regional, rival in their athletic conference?

It seems that much of conference movement/stagnation is due to spite.

There are some pretty nice and relatively compatable conference combinations if people/schools would let go of their issues (We're better than you etc).

Frankly, a great example is that Oakland should be in the Horizon by every imaginable metric. Detroit just has it in for them (for somewhat understandable reasons).
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        When one unnecessary poorly supported and generally subpar program leaves for a conference that is arguably the worst in the as yet explored universe, you're probably not going to see major repercussions anywhere else.
                        ^^^ this ^^^
                        Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                          Not sure what to make of this, but I just received an invite to the WAC.
                          haha ^^^^ rep points given ^^^^
                          Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            To be honest, I'd rather make the Summit League stronger than succumb to the "grass is always greener" syndrome. If I were Tom Douple, the AD's from Northern Colorado and UND would have at this point on their desks a standing invitation to join the Summit League. And I'd have invitation letters prepared and in the file for St. Cloud State and Minnesota State-Mankato, and maybe even for Northern Iowa, UWGB, Milwaukee, Loyola-Chicago, Illinois-Chicago, and Valparaiso, too, along with Eastern Illinois and perhaps one or two other football-playing members of the Ohio Valley.

But if I were Justin Sell, I'd also likely have MVC Commissioner Doug Elgin--if not on speed-dial, at least in my Contacts list.

Because chance favors the prepared mind.
                            I am totally onboard with solidifying the Summit rather than hopping ship to the MVC. Jumping to the MVC should only be a back-up plan if things start to fall apart. I will agree that the MVC is a step up and a probably big one at that. However, a move to the MVC would require a lot of effort just to be on par with the rest of the schools in terms of facilities and coaches pay. I would like to see the Dakota schools (including UND) make the Summit their league, i.e. we are at or near the top of the league in pretty much everything. Solidify it down the I-29 corridor. Something like it was in the NCC (not saying we should bring the gang back together, though). I think if we do that, the Summit could somewhat be seen as a settling point and not a stepping stone. Another thing, a jump to the MVC means no conference championship in our backyard anymore. I, for one, am for keeping that advantage for SDSU, for the State of South Dakota, and for the city of Sioux Falls. I only say jump ship if things start falling apart where the Summit is now the poor man's WAC.

Comment

IF the Bluejays leave the MVC, how much does that bring that level down? The Summit has been on an improving plane. The paranoid with UMKC leaving and Denver coming is not logical. If I were to access the change, I say it must be positive. At this point, it is a bit illogical to keep looking over the fence and thinking it must be better over there. Compare the WAC to Summit in one year. It appears that we are healthy at this time.
                              Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                                I am totally onboard with solidifying the Summit rather than hopping ship to the MVC. Jumping to the MVC should only be a back-up plan if things start to fall apart. I will agree that the MVC is a step up and a probably big one at that. However, a move to the MVC would require a lot of effort just to be on par with the rest of the schools in terms of facilities and coaches pay. I would like to see the Dakota schools (including UND) make the Summit their league, i.e. we are at or near the top of the league in pretty much everything. Solidify it down the I-29 corridor. Something like it was in the NCC (not saying we should bring the gang back together, though). I think if we do that, the Summit could somewhat be seen as a settling point and not a stepping stone. Another thing, a jump to the MVC means no conference championship in our backyard anymore. I, for one, am for keeping that advantage for SDSU, for the State of South Dakota, and for the city of Sioux Falls. I only say jump ship if things start falling apart where the Summit is now the poor man's WAC.
                                No offense but if Oakland leaves, I'm all for the MVC. Tired of building and everyone else just leaving. NDSU is almost where it needs to be, just need to bring the BSA 2.0 online. Plus I like the idea of almost all of our sports in one league.

For me a jump to the MVC means better recruits, better scheduling, more respect and a chance to earn an at-large bid in the dance and perhaps get a seed that would make wining a game likely. Plus other sports would have better opportunities as well. I do think we could get the Summit there but it seems like every time we take one step forward we immediately take two steps back.

Comment

Working...
                                X