UMKC to the WAC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMKC to the WAC?

Increasing rumblings that such a move is being contemplated.

Although I live in metro KC, this winds up being a good move for the Summit, as UMKC men's basketball is, and pretty much always has been, truly dreadful. Hate to see another team leave the league, and hope that won't have an affect on Denver's move into the Summit.

Trading UMKC for Denver is nothing but win in men's basketball, as it makes the Summit MUCH stronger.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: UMKC to the WAC?

Radio reaction here in KC so far is pretty much "oh, gee, isn't that nice," followed by a brief and totally uninformed discussion of the relative merits of Summit League and WAC basketball, and then go back to talking about the KU loss to TCU and/or football recruiting. Such is life as UMKC in the KC media market.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well asked Dom Izzo about it on twitter, I'm guessing we'll find out some real answers soon.

Comment

A preemptive move to a major Summit, Horizon, MVC shake-up??
        USD Fan

Comment

Maybe this would be more appropriate here.

Originally posted by Evolution Prime
          I can't understand this move or people thinking this is a step up. Maybe 10 years ago it would be a step up. Heck taking a snapshot now it would appear to be a step up. Like FargoBison said, all the good long standing teams have bolted due to FBS realignment after this year. Now it is a later move AT BEST and one could argue it is a significant step down. If that is what they want, fine. I believe the Summit is not going anywhere. The addition of the former NCC teams is helping that. SDSU and NDSU along with Oakland have elevated the Summit from what it once was. I believe the Summit is transitioning from a stepping stone league to a more stable one. Oakland may still have their desire to move to the Horizon, but that is nothing new. Even with the addition of Denver, we have shrunk the Summit footprint down by quite a bit in recent years. This is easily remedied as Denver is a major hub and easy to get to. They will be an outlier in an already huge conference. I think they would be better served staying put. Whether they will do better athletically, will remain to be seen.

If this does happen, I believe the Summit may look at UND once again. They are already an outlier in the Big Sky and with the return of Idaho from the WAC, makes them a little more expendable there. Of course, it will all depend on football.

Comment

Well I don't think I've ever seen a school make a preemptive move before. But if this is a major shake up I hope it involves NDSU and SDSU to the MVC because I want nothing to do with the WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              A preemptive move to a major Summit, Horizon, MVC shake-up??
              When one unnecessary poorly supported and generally subpar program leaves for a conference that is arguably the worst in the as yet explored universe, you're probably not going to see major repercussions anywhere else.

Comment

I just don't get why UMKC would feel the need to be preemptive if a shake up might be coming, nobody is breaking down the WAC's door trying to get in. In fact if NMSU leaves people were saying they might have to add New Jersey Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  I just don't get why UMKC would feel the need to be preemptive if a shake up might be coming, nobody is breaking down the WAC's door trying to get in. In fact if NMSU leaves people were saying they might have to add New Jersey Tech.
                  The new Great West? Would they even keep the WAC's auto-bid?

Comment

Do you suppose they are getting kicked out of the Summit for some reason, but the League is letting them save face - kinda like what happened to Chicago State before we joined the conference?

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                      The new Great West? Would they even keep the WAC's auto-bid?
                      Right now their autobid is secure but if NMSU leaves they would need to add somebody. DI changed the rules, now all you need is seven fully DI members with a pulse and even if you go below seven there is still a two year waiver.

Comment

Blair Kirkhoff (KC Star sportswriter) on WHB Radio right now - - he says he's heard UMKC has received an invitation from the WAC, but hasn't heard if they have accepted it.

Update:
                        He's also speculating that NDSU and SDSU may wind up in the Valley, Evansville might go to the OVC (all this predicated on the assumption that Creighton goes to the Catholic Conference).
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

TV said this is the third round of rumors of UMKC joining the WAC.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                            Blair Kirkhoff (KC Star sportswriter) on WHB Radio right now - - he says he's heard UMKC has received an invitation from the WAC, but hasn't heard if they have accepted it.

Hasn't the WAC sent an invitation to everyone?

Comment

After Centenary, UMKC is the bottom of the Summit. They rarely perform well, they have no following, how does the Summit benefit by having UMKC as a member. Joining the 2014 and after WAC is wacky. Their footprint of games will stretch from KC, Chicago St (man, this is a championship school )on the east, to Seattle and Cal St Bakersfield on west. Idaho and NMSU have to be searching for options to get the H away from this sinking ship. Actually, UMKC may be a top dog in the 30th/31st rank conference if they joined.

Hope that Summit looks to entice both Northern Colo, and UND from the Big Sky to Summit. Bringing both means that Summit could, of push comes to shove, create a separate football league. But I would prefer to see a Summit/MVFC 12 member conference, ala the CAA of 2008. Very beneficial to the Summit, stablizes baseball, creates a Summit football, and generally supports most sports. Even would add UNO/UND/Denver as a base to build a Summit Hockey league.

Comment

Working...
                              X