Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Senate Bill 11 - Indoor practice facility

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
    Passed on Senate floor 32-3. Next up is House Appropriations and onto the House floor (no date as of now).

http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...aspx?Vote=1313
    Added later: My post is wrong...read the following post. JackJD

Passed the House 2/14/13 and now goes to the Gov for signing (probably will be signed today). Here are the 10 "Nays" on the house side:
    Campbell
    Greenfield
    Hickey
    Nelson
    Russell
    Kaiser
    Kopp
    Latterell
    May
    Olson (Betty)
    Last edited by JackJD; 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Passed the House 2/14/13 and now goes to the Gov for signing (probably will be signed today). Here are the 10 "Nays" on the house side:
      Campbell
      Greenfield
      Hickey
      Nelson
      Russell
      Kaiser
      Kopp
      Latterell
      May
      Olson (Betty)
      SB 11 (SDSU) hasn't gone to the House yet. The "nays" and date (2/14/13) you are referring too is SB 8 (USD's Construction).

It (SB11) did pass the Appropriations Committee yesterday (9-0). http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...l.aspx?Bill=11
      Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 02-20-2013, 04:07 PM.

Comment

SB 11 (SDSU) hasn't gone to the House yet. The "nays" and date (2/14/13) you are referring too is SB 8 (USD's Construction).

It did pass the Appropriations Committee yesterday (9-0). http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...l.aspx?Bill=11
        Something tells me we may see a few of those names pop up on the House vote for SB 11.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It (SB11) did pass the Appropriations Committee yesterday (9-0). http://legis.state.sd.us/sessions/20...l.aspx?Bill=11
          You're correct...apparently I couldn't read. Now, I'm starting to get concerned because the House keeps deferring action four days in a row including today. Anyone have any insight into what's going on?

Comment

I'm not worried yet. They just had cross-over day and all of the senate bills are in the house now. It is the 26th bill on the Agenda today and will likely get deferred again today and tomorrow and will hopefully be up by Thursday. They sometimes do make large changes to the agenda but that would be my best guess for now.

On a side note, I worry mildly that our bill could get tied up in politics temporarily because it needs a 2/3 vote. I won't get into the politics of why but that is more what we need to watch out for.

Comment

Looks like SB 10 (swine teaching & research facility) and SB 11 (indoor practice & human performance facility) are mired down with a number of other bills due to the work load in the House...does not mean there are problems. Both facilities will be constructed using donated funds.

Comment

I just wanted to point out:

For every 10 people who dislike a politician, there likely about 10 or more who support them and their positions. At least in their home district.

Same goes for "special interests" (otherwise known as interests when it happens to align with a person's beliefs).

I would be more disappointed if there weren't at least a few nay votes on any issue. Once you get to that point, you have to really start wondering about things.
                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

Once you get to that point, you have to really start wondering about things.
                  What things? Like is this a bunch of foolishness?
                  I believe this might be why the Republican Party has been branded the Stupid Party by none other than Gov Bobbie Jingle or what his name is from Louisana.

Comment

Panties seem bunched.

About a legislature.

Situation normal.

(No, I wasn't trying for haiku. Almost got the 5-7-5 anyway.)
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                      What things? Like is this a bunch of foolishness?
                      I believe this might be why the Republican Party has been branded the Stupid Party by none other than Gov Bobbie Jingle or what his name is from Louisana.
                      I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking... I don't believe I was talking party politics. On any issue, there are citizens with varying opinions, and their opinions deserve to be represented.

Anybody who disagrees with ME is an idiot. I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but that doesn't seem to be a great approach to getting things done.

At the end of the day, SDSU is going to get their facility. There is disagreement, and IMO that is good.

I'm fairly certain you know exactly who Bobby Jindal is. Maybe if we call each other enough names, the state/country/world will change in a positive fashion.
                      “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For every 10 people who dislike a politician, there likely about 10 or more who support them and their positions. At least in their home district.

Same goes for "special interests" (otherwise known as interests when it happens to align with a person's beliefs).

I would be more disappointed if there weren't at least a few nay votes on any issue. Once you get to that point, you have to really start wondering about things.
                        Thank you for the lesson. My special interest in this matter is a donor supported student athlete performance center. The explanation provided by those not supporting in is not satisfactory to justify a nay vote in my opinion. I don't wonder, I know, because I asked.

We can carry on a long discussion about what it means to represent those whom elected you and how a democracy works. The idea behind it all certainly wasn't career politicians motivated by keeping their elected position for as long as possible. I am done, not worth it.
                        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          Thank you for the lesson. My special interest in this matter is a donor supported student athlete performance center. The explanation provided by those not supporting in is not satisfactory to justify a nay vote in my opinion. I don't wonder, I know, because I asked.

We can carry on a long discussion about what it means to represent those whom elected you and how a democracy works. The idea behind it all certainly wasn't career politicians motivated by keeping their elected position for as long as possible. I am done, not worth it.
                          The explanation provided wasn't satisfactory to you.

OK, I'm kidding now.

Comment

The explanation provided wasn't satisfactory to you.

OK, I'm kidding now.
                            Heavy on the sarcasm with my reply to you as well. Written word delivered in a public forum is just about my favorite venue for using sarcasm.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I'm not quite sure I understand what you are asking... I don't believe I was talking party politics. On any issue, there are citizens with varying opinions, and their opinions deserve to be represented.

Anybody who disagrees with ME is an idiot. I don't know if anybody else has noticed, but that doesn't seem to be a great approach to getting things done.

At the end of the day, SDSU is going to get their facility. There is disagreement, and IMO that is good.

I'm fairly certain you know exactly who Bobby Jindal is. Maybe if we call each other enough names, the state/country/world will change in a positive fashion.
                              I dont consider you an idiot although I disagree with your way of thinking. I would appreciate that you don't put words in my mouth. Yes if you watch CNN and Fox you do know who Gov Jindal is and I agree with his stupid reference to the GOP, of which I once was a member. And the there is no shortage of GOP representation on such matters as property taxes, less government and more guns in SD Legislature. So what is the problem or disagreement that you were speaking of? Please tell us. Or are you saying that nay votes on this issue are a good thing? Jackmd has taken time to try and find out why the nay response on a lightweight issue and has gotten no answers. Guys like Greenfield love to rub our noses in his poop to make him feel good. Now thats what I call real representation. Boy the guys down in gas station/bar must feel real good about their represenative. He really showed them big shots in Brookings by voting nay on a the Indoor facilty.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 02-26-2013, 11:47 PM.

Comment

This is why I'm a Libertarian. Both sides are idiots.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X