Nw quad bill deadlocked in committee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nw quad bill deadlocked in committee

I suppose I risk being political in starting this thread, but its one of interest to all of the SDSU family. SDSU and BOR have plans for developing a poor piece of property in the NW quad of the campus. It is the area where the Old Rodeo grounds are now located. The ground is very low, and will no doubt require a great amount of fill before anything can be constructed on this property. This movement has all the local developers up in arms, one in particular is Dennis Biefelt, a former Religion and Philosphy professor who has resources and is involved in development. A bill in question would prohibit the Board of Regents from "erecting any building or structors or leasing land for student housing development by private parties or making any lease or lease-purchase payments for any purpose" without first getting the approval of the Legislature.

Also in The Register on op page is a speak out by Professor Dennis Bielfelt. This column is not available unless one purchases the digital copy of the Register or purchases an old fashioned print copy.

Basically Biefelt made three points in opposition to BOR position and also took a shot at the Brookings County Commision for not being opposed to the plan:

First he cited declining enrollements due to on line courses, also declining residenial populations. Basically there seems to be good reason to argue against future building since the residental population will not be there to occupy these proposed facitlies.
    Second he mentioned given the housing project would go on state land, any improvements would become state property when the leases are terminated. So there would be no property tax when that happens, whereas before the privately own building on state land would be assessed property tax.

Third, he raised the issue of impact on the local construction industry and also the tax consequences on for Brookings County.

These are interesting issues of which I personally dont have a position on. I do know that Rev Biefelt does offer on line courses in Lutheran Theology through a seminary that acts as alternative to training received at the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. So this gentleman is not afraid of controversy. In fact he purchased, the former Sancturary of St Thomas More Roman Catholic Church which is now home to his online seminary. I wonder if the SF Diocese would have sold him this building knowing what was intended for future use.

Here is the link to the Register article;

http://www.brookingsregister.com/v2_...story_id=16798
    Last edited by Nidaros; 02-01-2013, 12:05 PM.

Re: Nw quad bill deadlocked in committee

The basic question that anyone can answer to make the broad stroke on this matter involves the notion of government doing things that are normally done by private entities. If you believe that it is a good idea to have housing and retail done by the state, then it is acceptable. If you believe that it is a good idea for private business to take the risk, then it is unacceptable. There is more on the drawing board than student housing. If you go through the history of this project and the scope of senior housing and retail that is being approved, then it may change your viewpoint. If they had bought the land east of I 29 a cheese plant could have been part of the plan.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
      The basic question that anyone can answer to make the broad stroke on this matter involves the notion of government doing things that are normally done by private entities. If you believe that it is a good idea to have housing and retail done by the state, then it is acceptable. If you believe that it is a good idea for private business to take the risk, then it is unacceptable. There is more on the drawing board than student housing. If you go through the history of this project and the scope of senior housing and retail that is being approved, then it may change your viewpoint. If they had bought the land east of I 29 a cheese plant could have been part of the plan.
      Personally, I think the NW quadarant would make an excellent park, or some sort of outdoor facilty. Building on this propery is what I would call a nutty idea. Someone is not thinking in proposing this idea. How they got the BOR to sign on is beyond me and its really gotten to be a politcal football to kick around town. If we want town/gown ideas, this is not it. As far as risk taking, I dont think we will have a mad rush for bidding. Mr. Biefelt may be right about being overbuilt right now. Why then go forward with a big project like this? The more I think about this I starting to come down on Mr./Rev Bielfelt's side.

Comment

On another not totally related matter, I read that the Sioux Falls people that were interested in the annex for the Swiftel have pulled any money and support for this project. A study had less than enough activity to support the project. At least one of the companies had been involved recently in some building projects for apartments near the SDSU campus.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

On another not totally related matter, I read that the Sioux Falls people that were interested in the annex for the Swiftel have pulled any money and support for this project. A study had less than enough activity to support the project. At least one of the companies had been involved recently in some building projects for apartments near the SDSU campus.
          Thats an interesting developement. Making Dennis Bielfelt more correct in his views. Brookings is just not growing in leaps and bounds and that is a big part of the problem. The Sons of Norway of which I am a member had to relocate because the cost of rent was prohibited by this new developement that was on the drawing board. Now what?

Comment

You guys are kidding right? On one side we have the University, students, Brookings Chamber of Commerce, Brookings Economic Development Corp. even people from Northern State and Aberdeen testified against the Bill and on the other side we have a few big landlords in the city of Brookings getting rich off the students.

Talk about a special interest trying to protect its own self interests at the cost of everybody else.

Comment

http://sdstate.edu/campus/housingdin...an-3-29-11.pdf

Comment

To summarize the report, SDSU provides an excellent education at a bargain price resulting in continuing and significant student body growth. And so, as has been the case for a couple of decades, does not have capacity to meet demand for housing and food service on campus. Therefore SDSU must continue to build or allow more underclassmen to live off-campus. That with all research showing underclass retention is greater when housed on campus.
                You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I had no idea this report was out there, but its a thorough report and explains why they are going forward with this plan. The location is still questionable in my mind considering its not the greatest place to build anything. A creek runs through this property and it makes you wonder with high water tables and the creek you are going to have water problems. Of course its just may opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                    You guys are kidding right? On one side we have the University, students, Brookings Chamber of Commerce, Brookings Economic Development Corp. even people from Northern State and Aberdeen testified against the Bill and on the other side we have a few big landlords in the city of Brookings getting rich off the students.

Talk about a special interest trying to protect its own self interests at the cost of everybody else.
                    Yeah no doubt about this. One of the more silent people wagging the dog is Mills Property Management. They seem to be threaten too by this project.

Comment

Nice report. It does not give any specs about NW Quadrant. Devil is always in details which is why many are a bit concerned. If it were a simple build dorms or pods, the local opposition would be whining.. It has more than student housing in the current plan with local people locked out.

Comment

As some one who's professional life has evolved around safely building vs flooding, any structure out there should be well elevated, in fact, the ground level should be garage, not living space.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                          I had no idea this report was out there, but its a thorough report and explains why they are going forward with this plan. The location is still questionable in my mind considering its not the greatest place to build anything. A creek runs through this property and it makes you wonder with high water tables and the creek you are going to have water problems. Of course its just may opinion.
                          You have the location wrong. It would go in the parking lot behind the Ag heritage museum.

Comment

Nice report. It does not give any specs about NW Quadrant. Devil is always in details which is why many are a bit concerned. If it were a simple build dorms or pods, the local opposition would be whining.. It has more than student housing in the current plan with local people locked out.
                            Of course it has no specs. The Board of Regents has asked for a RFP so private companies are putting together proposals with their own specs. I hear that over 25 companies have taken part in the process that the special interest group is trying to derail with the change in law that they are trying to push threw. The special interest group had every opportunity to compete in the process but chose not to and instead are trying to use their power to maintain their hold on the student housing market.

The RFP is only a housing project. The University and Board of Regents testified on that exact point on Monday in Pierre. The special interest group has known this for a long time but is still telling everyone that there is more to it to scare people even though it is not true.

In the end, all you really need to know is who is on which side. On one side you have a very broad group from all over the state on the other just a very few big landloards in Brookings.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              The RFP is only a housing project. The University and Board of Regents testified on that exact point on Monday in Pierre. The special interest group has known this for a long time but is still telling everyone that there is more to it to scare people even though it is not true.
                              Exactly. Lots of misinformation about the scope and nature of the project out there. I'm disappointed that there is an effort to deal with this local issue through legislative action. Seems like a bad precedent to me
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                              X