Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1-3-13 - Is NDSU the Summit team to beat?

Default Re: 1-3-13 - Is NDSU the Summit team to beat?

Say what you want but the conference championship goes through Brookings (via Sioux Falls).

Nagy started the season by saying that this team needs to stay hungry and humble. They lost to NDSU and are trailing in the conference standings. There should be no more impetus to remain hungry and humble needed.

Time to roll!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    Say what you want but the conference championship goes through Brookings (via Sioux Falls).

Nagy started the season by saying that this team needs to stay hungry and humble. They lost to NDSU and are trailing in the conference standings. There should be no more impetus to remain hungry and humble needed.

Time to roll!

SUPERBUNNY
    Damn right........roll rabbits

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Pretty sure NDSU"s significantly higher RPI (explained in some detail) would've trumped a narrow win by SDSU. And an SDSU win would not have rocketed them past NDSU in the RPI. Or KenPom. Or Sagarin.
    No, but if we would have beat NDSU at NDSU, I think it would have been hard to argue that we would be considered SL favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Quote Originally Posted by jack power View Post
    Damn right........roll rabbits
    Roll rabbits.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done. Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    No, but if we would have beat NDSU at NDSU, I think it would have been hard to argue that we would be considered SL favorites.
    Assuming you meant 'wouldn't be', and given that there would still be a sizable gap in RPI had the Jacks beat NDSU (the only thing that would've changed would be the 25% weight assigned to individual W/L, and that wouldn't have moved much), I think the average guy looking at conference standings rated by RPI (or whatever) would've still seen a significant gap, and would've still picked NDSU.

I am looking forward to the first rematch on Jan 26 at Frost. I am guessing that the RPI and the kenpom and a few other statistical analysis will favor the bison. However, I am expecting a healthy Jackrabbit team ready to play the game and I will be there with my blinders on anticipating a Jack win. Meanwhile, there are a few games for each team to play against some other teams that have a dismal RPI having intent to "upset" the bison or Jacks. The Jacks lost a few road games in conference last year and it would not surprise me to lose another on the way this year. The loss to the bison was not a crippling or season ending event regardless of the aftertaste of the game. Last year the ORU eagles flew high and mighty into the tournament with a single loss and I do not recall them in the final game. I am hoping that I will see a steady improvement in this Jackrabbit team during the conference schedule. I may be surprised and there will be no more conference losses for the Jacks, but I do not think I am ready for the Summit outcome to be the forecast daily by the RPI standings. I am hoping that we are still undefeated at home Jan 27. Go Jacks!

Quote Originally Posted by zooropa View Post
    Assuming you meant 'wouldn't be', and given that there would still be a sizable gap in RPI had the Jacks beat NDSU (the only thing that would've changed would be the 25% weight assigned to individual W/L, and that wouldn't have moved much), I think the average guy looking at conference standings rated by RPI (or whatever) would've still seen a significant gap, and would've still picked NDSU.
    I did mean wouldn't be, my bad.

And I think you are plain wrong. "Hmm, let's look at conference standings by RPI and ignore that Team X beat Team Y at Team Y's home gym. Well, I have more confidence in RPI than an actual basketball game, because as an average guy, I know the point of basketball isn't to beat a team, but to have a higher RPI," said average guy.

Okay.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackFan96 View Post
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
    I did mean wouldn't be, my bad.

And I think you are plain wrong. "Hmm, let's look at conference standings by RPI and ignore that Team X beat Team Y at Team Y's home gym. Well, I have more confidence in RPI than an actual basketball game, because as an average guy, I know the point of basketball isn't to beat a team, but to have a higher RPI," said average guy. Okay.
    Except, you give no rational look in your summary as to where the game was played. Sagarin assigns a 4.5 point advantage to the home team, i.e. the Jacks won the matchup by 1.5 in that loss (theoretically of course). Anyway, RPI, Sagarin, KenPom, etc. are statistical predictors that might balance out in the long run, but have little significance for any particular game. And that is, indeed, why we play the games. We will await the Bison's performance in Frost before any more comparisons need to be discussed IMO.