NDSU/SDSU common opponents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU/SDSU common opponents

NDSU did not dominate SDSU in any part of that game. Dominating is a game that is never even in question, a game that is over before the 4th qtr even starts. This was anybodys game right down to the end. All that game did was give SDSU confidence that they can win this game and gave underclassmen, Zenner, Cam Jones, Lally, Sumner, etc., a look at the Fargodome before the playoffs. They will have no more pregame jitters about playing in the fargodome anymore. No player will ever admit it, but I'm sure there were a few who weren't sure if SDSU would win or not when that game started a couple weeks ago. After playing that game, every single player knows that they can not only compete with the Bison but they can beat them. Its going to be a heck of a game, whoever wins is going a long ways.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      There is no doubt that NDSU's defense held SDSU's offense in check for most of the Dakota Marker game. At the same time, SDSU's defense held NDSU's offense in check for most of the game, too. Both defenses were great. NDSU's was slightly better. I expect that both offenses will have some new tricks up their sleeves and whichever defense does a better job of adjusting to those will probably win. The Bison have some huge advantages: They are defending national champions. They almost never lose in the FargoDome in front of their enthusiastic fans. They have more playoff experience. They have the best defense in the country. I think SDSU's offense has improved a good bit since the last meeting. If they line up and try to stop Zenner, Sumner will make some plays. Will it be enough? Who knows. It's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

One thing is for certain: These are two of the best teams left in the tournament. It's a shame they aren't playing in a later round.
      I am curious to see if SDSU's offense has improved or if it it has just been a reflection of the opponent. EIU did not look very good(though they gave ISU-R all they could handle and did pound on SIU), and USD sucks.
      North Dakota State University
      11 Time National Champions
      '65, '68, '69, '83, '85, '86, '88, '90, '11, '12, '13

http://i.imgur.com/LwCVRnd.gif

Comment

I threw these stats up on BV the other day because frankly I have a lot of time on my hands and I'm willing to do about anything to make Saturday get here faster! I know it's just stats and you can skew them anyway you want, so I tried to grab the same stats for both sides of the ball. Most of these were a lot closer than I wanted to believe, credit the Jacks. Anyway, kill some time, flame on me for meaningless stats, or appreciate the effort. Doesn't matter to me because either way I've already done the legwork.

Team Statistic
        ............................NDSU 11 Games------------------------------SDSU 12 Games
        Total Defense...........................1st----------------------------------------------8th
        3rd Down Conversion % Def.......1st (25.95%)----------------------------------23rd (33.68%)
        1st Downs Allowed....................1st (11/g)--------------------------------------15th (17/g)
        Passing Defense........................1st (1415 yards, 5.44 yards/att)-------------30th (2247 yards, 5.23/att)
        Red Zone Defense.....................95th (11 scores in 13 drives, 8 TD)----------2nd (21 scores in 36 drives, 13 TD)
        Rushing Defense.......................1st (67.09 yds/game)-------------------------13th (116.17 yds/game)
        Scoring Defense........................1st (11.82 points/game)----------------------4th (15.42 points/game)
        Tackles For Loss.......................32nd (73 TFL, 307 TFL yards)----------------67th (67 TFL, 321 TFL yards)

3rd Down Comp. %...................2nd (53.13%)----------------------------------63rd (38.86%)
        First Downs..............................39th (21/game)--------------------------------81st (18.83/game)
        Passing Offense........................77th (189 yards/game)-----------------------76th (189.92 yards/game)
        Red Zone Offense.....................16th (52 scores in 58 drives, 38 TD)---------60th (32 scores in 40 drives, 19 TD)
        Rushing Offense.......................25th (197 yards/game)------------------------28th (190.25 yards/game)
        Scoring Offense........................13th (35.55 pts/game)------------------------67th (25.08 pts/game)
        Tackles For Loss Allowed...........6th (3.73 TFL allowed/game)----------------62nd (5.83 TFL allowed/game)
        Total Offense...........................50th (386 yards/game)------------------------57th (380.17 yards/game)

Comment

Originally posted by mnjackrbt View Post
          NDSU did not dominate SDSU in any part of that game. Dominating is a game that is never even in question, a game that is over before the 4th qtr even starts. This was anybodys game right down to the end. All that game did was give SDSU confidence that they can win this game and gave underclassmen, Zenner, Cam Jones, Lally, Sumner, etc., a look at the Fargodome before the playoffs. They will have no more pregame jitters about playing in the fargodome anymore. No player will ever admit it, but I'm sure there were a few who weren't sure if SDSU would win or not when that game started a couple weeks ago. After playing that game, every single player knows that they can not only compete with the Bison but they can beat them. Its going to be a heck of a game, whoever wins is going a long ways.
          Excuse my ignorance, but you'll have to explain to me how losing a game can make you think you can beat a team? Should SDSU's player have confidence they can play with NDSU? Absolutely.

But, don't try and tell me they have the confidence they can beat them after they LOST.

Comment

Originally posted by Bison06 View Post
            Excuse my ignorance, but you'll have to explain to me how losing a game can make you think you can beat a team? Should SDSU's player have confidence they can play with NDSU? Absolutely.

But, don't try and tell me they have the confidence they can beat them after they LOST.
            Idk 06, haven't you ever been in a game of any variety(video games, sports, or anything) where you end up keeping it closer than anticipated and leave thinking that if you get another crack at them, you really think you can win?
            North Dakota State University
            11 Time National Champions
            '65, '68, '69, '83, '85, '86, '88, '90, '11, '12, '13

http://i.imgur.com/LwCVRnd.gif

Comment

Originally posted by 344Johnson View Post
              Idk 06, haven't you ever been in a game of any variety(video games, sports, or anything) where you end up keeping it closer than anticipated and leave thinking that if you get another crack at them, you really think you can win?
              Exactly, keep it close, gain confidence, realize you can hang with the big boys. EIU wasn't as bad as they looked (they definitely weren't too good though), our guys were making damn sure they were going to get another crack at NDSU and get that bad taste out of their mouth. I doubt any player is upset about this matchup like fans are, they are probably pretty ecstatic about it. A close loss on the road at the #1 team just gives you confidence and makes you hungrier for that next match with them.

Comment

When I get frustrating close to beating a tough video game, I like to take a step back, play a couple other video games, then come back to it. The result: I dominate the formerly challenging video game, then I throw it in a drawer for a year, and continue to dominate the rest of the video games left in my room.

Being that my gaming life is a microcosm of the SDSU football team, I have little doubt about the result on Saturday.
                If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                - Steven Wright

Comment

If I did it was a false sense. Sometimes when you are close, you find out later that you were much further away from winning than you originally thought.

What Jacks fans seem to be forgetting is NDSU played in that game too. We learned some things as well and we actually WON the game, think of the confidence we gained.

Comment

If I did it was a false sense. Sometimes when you are close, you find out later that you were much further away from winning than you originally thought.

What Jacks fans seem to be forgetting is NDSU played in that game too. We learned some things as well and we actually WON the game, think of the confidence we gained.
                    There seem to be two items the Bison faithful fall back on in regards to the upcoming SDSU game. They suddenly see their first win as being a dominant win in which SDSU wasn't even on the field. Then there is the 2nd half performance against ISUR. We shall see, but I watched the NDSU v SDSU 1 matchup and wasn't impressed at all with the lackluster NDSU offense. Their defense is another story, very typical hard nosed fast and very disciplined NDSU defense.

We will need to be able to throw the ball this time. Not an easy task, but it can be done. That is the only way we will be able to open up the run and get Zenner to 100 yards. If he gets to 100 or close to 100 we win. If he is around 50 as last game we lose. As for the Bison faithful's assertion that the 2nd half of the ISUR game is an indicator that the Bison offense is suddenly on track. I'm one who thinks ISUR is a bit over rated. Take a look at their resume and you wonder how they ended up with a 1st round bye over us. OK, they beat a MAC team. Woo Hoo, they also got taken into OT with a very bad OVC school and were on the ropes against USD.

http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

It should be a fun game. I like most of the Bison faithful and if they win I think almost all SDSU fans can say that we will be cheering for the Bison to win another championship. They first need to get past us. It likely will not be an easy task.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                      There seem to be two items the Bison faithful fall back on in regards to the upcoming SDSU game. They suddenly see their first win as being a dominant win in which SDSU wasn't even on the field. Then there is the 2nd half performance against ISUR. We shall see, but I watched the NDSU v SDSU 1 matchup and wasn't impressed at all with the lackluster NDSU offense. Their defense is another story, very typical hard nosed fast and very disciplined NDSU defense.

We will need to be able to throw the ball this time. Not an easy task, but it can be done. That is the only way we will be able to open up the run and get Zenner to 100 yards. If he gets to 100 or close to 100 we win. If he is around 50 as last game we lose. As for the Bison faithful's assertion that the 2nd half of the ISUR game is an indicator that the Bison offense is suddenly on track. I'm one who thinks ISUR is a bit over rated. Take a look at their resume and you wonder how they ended up with a 1st round bye over us. OK, they beat a MAC team. Woo Hoo, they also got taken into OT with a very bad OVC school and were on the ropes against USD.

http://www.goredbirds.com/sports/m-f...tbl-sched.html

It should be a fun game. I like most of the Bison faithful and if they win I think almost all SDSU fans can say that we will be cheering for the Bison to win another championship. They first need to get past us. It likely will not be an easy task.
                      Fair assessment. I will say though if you are referencing my post, I am not in the camp that feels we dominated the first matchup. I will go as far as to say up until the very end I never had a feeling that the game was in doubt. I think the score was closer than it should have been, but that's the way it played out.

I still say Bison by 14-17.

Comment

B06, you and SoCalledFan need to go off into a corner and hash this out and come up with an official Bison Stance (BS).
                        Here, with bold and italics added, is an excerpt of SoCalledFan's very creative rationalization that originated this string: "1. It is clear NDSU really "played down" to Indiana St.'s level. They should have never lost that game and I am sure they would not have if not for the 2 pick 6's and the last interception."

So one of you says it's possible to think that losing a game makes you can believe you are better than the other team. The other says once beaten, always beaten. What would the official BS be on this?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          B06, you and SoCalledFan need to go off into a corner and hash this out and come up with an official Bison Stance (BS).
                          Here, with bold and italics added, is an excerpt of SoCalledFan's very creative rationalization that originated this string: "1. It is clear NDSU really "played down" to Indiana St.'s level. They should have never lost that game and I am sure they would not have if not for the 2 pick 6's and the last interception."

So one of you says it's possible to think that losing a game makes you can believe you are better than the other team. The other says once beaten, always beaten. What would the official BS be on this?

Well, for one, I don't speak for all Bison fans nor do any one of them speak for me. Two, you are taking my words and changing them. I am not saying "once beaten, always beaten". What I am saying is how is SDSU coming away from the first match up with NDSU with more confidence than NDSU has since they won the game?

It comes off as a homer analysis when Jack fans say "our guys have confidence from the first game that they should win the next time we match up". Well so does NDSU, so that seems like a wash to me.

It will all play out on the field I suppose so all analysis is just for fun, so maybe I shouldn't read so much into other people's comments. I just found that one in particular interesting so I commented on it.

Edit: Also, in defense of Socalled, regardless of whether or not it was the Bison involved, if someone had told me a team throws two pick sixes and is still driving to win the game with a few minutes left, I would probably conclude the same thing he did.

Comment

Well, for one, I don't speak for all Bison fans nor do any one of them speak for me. Two, you are taking my words and changing them. I am not saying "once beaten, always beaten". What I am saying is how is SDSU coming away from the first match up with NDSU with more confidence than NDSU has since they won the game?

It comes off as a homer analysis when Jack fans say "our guys have confidence from the first game that they should win the next time we match up". Well so does NDSU, so that seems like a wash to me.
                            Never said SDSU has more confidence than NDSU does, just that the last game gave the players enough confidence that they know they can beat them, if there was doubt before. They were so close and let it slip at the end due to a few bonehead penalties. Also don't expect Brock to run all over the Jacks D like he did before either, Bohl even said something along the lines of "his runs were on plays that we had saved all year for SDSU." You have good coaches, I am sure they have something else up their sleave for this game as well. I doubt either team comes in with the same game plan. Its going to be a heck of a game, whoever wins is a great team.

Comment

If the Jacks players aren't confident they can beat bison they shouldn't be on the field come Saturday.

Even if they would have lost 73-0 the first game I would still expect them to be confident they could play a better game and win.

Saying the Jacks should go in thinking, man.....I'm confident we can play with them, but I don't know if we can beat them is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                                If the Jacks players aren't confident they can beat bison they shouldn't be on the field come Saturday.

Even if they would have lost 73-0 the first game I would still expect them to be confident they could play a better game and win.

Saying the Jacks should go in thinking, man.....I'm confident we can play with them, but I don't know if we can beat them is insane.
                                What you are saying is a competitor's mentality, what the other poster is talking about is gaining that confidence from the first game with NDSU which was a loss for SDSU. Sure they have confidence coming in, but it shouldn't be based on losing the first game. Especially since nothing really fluky happened and SDSU actually won the turnover margin.

If anything, because the turnover margin went against NDSU and it is usually in their favor, NDSU should have confidence that they can win by a wider margin this time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X