Former USD Athletes arrested in tax fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Former USD Athletes arrested in tax fraud

Update: The Associated Press is reported yesterday (7/21/14) the two latest sentences imposed in the tax scam including 3 1/2 years imposed for former USD cornerback Dametrius Turner. Turner had pleaded guilty to defrauding the federal government and aggravated identity theft. The story indicates he was a little less culpable than others involved in the crimes.

Here's the story from the Argus Leader: http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...yers/12967875/

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Update: The Associated Press is reported yesterday (7/21/14) the two latest sentences imposed in the tax scam including 3 1/2 years imposed for former USD cornerback Dametrius Turner. Turner had pleaded guilty to defrauding the federal government and aggravated identity theft. The story indicates he was a little less culpable than others involved in the crimes.

Here's the story from the Argus Leader: http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...yers/12967875/
      Word is that Burt Reynolds is willing to make a comeback for a "Longest Yard" sequel.

Comment

Here is a somewhat related article from the Argus Leader on 7/8/14: http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...uly8/12277817/
        USD Fan

Comment

LOL. I figured someone from the branch campus would provide the example of why, when reporting the followup to a significant local story, you may as well just put it in smack.
          Last edited by JackJD; 07-22-2014, 06:30 PM.

Comment

I read the thread title as "Former USD Athletes arrested in taxi fraud" and wondered what clown college circumstances led to those charges.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
              Here is a somewhat related article from the Argus Leader on 7/8/14: http://www.argusleader.com/story/ter...uly8/12277817/
              Reaching. Recruiting criminals to play at your university is quite different from a former player committing a criminal act. When the coach that recruited the players has also been accused of improper management of funds it suggests a lack of proper oversight by the university. Accept it or deflect it facts are facts.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Former USD football player pleads guilty to identify theft:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...heft/14584261/

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  Former USD football player pleads guilty to identify theft:

http://www.argusleader.com/story/new...heft/14584261/
                  I hope this is the end to this nightmare at USD. I know I am suppose to chuckle and jump for joy when something bad happens down that way, but none the less there are a number of good people who have attended, graduated and made names for themselves and they have degrees from USD. Am I proud of Chuck Loewen and his mistakes? No I am not, but very proud of a future Surgeon General Zack Zenner who got the great coverage from Fox News.

Comment

This story just won't stop bringing bad pub to the Yotes. Been mentioned last night and all day today on KELO news

Comment

I would assume this was a Coach Ed recruit

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                        Reaching. Recruiting criminals to play at your university is quite different from a former player committing a criminal act. When the coach that recruited the players has also been accused of improper management of funds it suggests a lack of proper oversight by the university. Accept it or deflect it facts are facts.
                        Its your board and you can safely say whatever you want to about USD, but I would challenge you on your very bold statement. First of all, the players involved were not criminals when they were recruited to play. Like any other young person that comes from nothing, athlete or not, the temptation to get something they've never had will always be there, and there will be some, athlete or not, that will succumb to that temptation. Secondly, USD isn't the first institution in the state to have trouble, and my guess is your turn is coming, although I do hope not. It's always been my position that both schools represent the people of South Dakota proudly.

Then your comment regarding Meierkort being accused of improper management of funds. Excuse me? That was a rumor fueled by those that wanted Ed gone. There was never a formal accusation made, and certainly the weren't charges filed. You think you know what you're talking about on this, but I guaranty you don't, and you have no facts to support what you said. Quite frankly, it's borderline slanderous.

Then you refer to lack of institutional control, which is a direct shot at Jim Abbott. I'm pretty certain if you have time to think about it, you wouldn't want to go down that road. President Abbott is as upstanding person as there is. For you to even remotely think your president, or any president has the capability to have "proper oversight" all the time to prevent things like what happened, I have to assume you are naive, but knowing who you are and the level of education you have, that can't be the case.....so it must be contempt.

i think you have forgotten about a certain AD that wasn't a nice person at home to his spouse, and yet for 5 years held that same position with basically no reprimands on his job. Want to have a debate on oversight? Five years of turning your head on something that was as politically incorrect as that situation was?

Whether you believe this or not, I no longer come to your board to have so called a fights, I do come earnestly to debate and talk about sports at our schools, because for the most part, our board is fairly dead, and I love sports. But your post inflamed me because not only do you have contempt for USD, you see patients that are athletes at our school. And if you no longer do, you did. That doesn't sit well with me at all. Usually you are factually based,even if I don't like the comments,but this time you aren't.

Comment

No slander, he was accused of improper management of funds.

http://espn991.com/former-south-dako...ierkort-fired/

The SA president at USD and a football player was impeached over being accused of misuse of funds and abuse of power and privileges.

http://volanteonline.com/2012/11/lig...sga-in-reform/

These are things that happened. Slander involves false statements. In addition, I did not suggest that President Abbott had anything to do with it. I stated that it suggests that individuals at the institutional level with knowledge of improper behavior may not have acted in a timely fashion.

As for contempt, that's coming from you toward me.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Some good press for USD on foxnews.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/11...e-netted-400k/

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                              Some good press for USD on foxnews.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/11...e-netted-400k/
                              Other than Valdez, the other football players have not been named much in the press. Did Ed Mierkort recruit these guys and is the reason he is no longer coach? An on going investigation would be justification for giving him his walking papers, and I suspect details of the investigation were revealed to Abbott which would be enough to draw up walking papers. Just my take.

Comment

Yotefornever... you realize this is the SMACK section, right?

It's no different than your T-Shirts that said "Beat State, Not Your Wife". Where was your righteous anger then?

Motto: If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
                                I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Working...
                                X