X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former USD Athletes arrested in tax fraud

Perfect timing for this news to break:

Nine arrested for tax fraud include several former USD athletes

Nine people, including several former University of South Dakota football players, are facing fraud charges in relation to a scheme to defraud the federal government by filing phony tax returns.

Alphonso Rico Valdez, 21, Charlie Frank Adams, 21, Raunta Stanislaus Ellison, 23, Jeremy Jamar Blount, 24, Melissa Dinataly, 22, Terry Daron Liggins, 27, Marquis Butler, 22 and Christopher Jamel Lundy, 20 are each charged with conspiracy to defraud the United States and Aggravated Identity Theft in the U.S. District Court of South Dakota.

Christopher Duane Frierson, 21, is charged only with conspiracy.

The charges stem from alleged criminal behavior between June 2011 through May 2012, whereby the participants would use identities of others to file tax returns and collect refunds. The investigation prompted USD officials to publicly ask students to check their records and secure their identities.

The fraudulent payments added up to more than $500,000, according to a new release by U.S. Attorney Brendan Johnson.
    Valdez, identified by prosecutors in his hometown of Tampa, Fla. as a ringleader for the operation, once played for the Coyotes.

MORE - CLICK HERE

Re: Former USD Athletes arrested in tax fraud

I'm sure Lundy will be playing. It's only identity fraud right? Heck, they probably teach it in Business classes down there!!Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      I'm sure Lundy will be playing. It's only identity fraud right? Heck, they probably teach it in Business classes down there!!Go Jacks!!
      I choose business ethics!

If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

According to the P&D's Jeremy Hoeck Lundy will not play

Though I thought NDSU should have suspended their players, its hard for me not to notice the difference between forging a few signatures on a petition and steeling someones identity to obtain a tax return.

Comment

Current and former USD players among those charged with tax fraud

The first point to make: This is a handful of student athletes and others and doesn't necessarily say anything about USD's football program as a whole, especially now that the guy who recruited those players is long gone. There are, no doubt, a lot of fine, honest young men on USD's roster who have nothing to do with all of this. I think it is fair to say, though, that these charges do call into question some of the recruiting decisions that were made by USD's former coach.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...|topnews|text|
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I didn't expect to see this in smack. I posted a similar thread in the MVFC forum. Perhaps the admins could combine the threads there.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Turns out the USD football players are even less law-abiding than NDSU football players.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                Turns out the USD football players are even less law-abiding than NDSU football players.
                I only wished they had intercepted as many passes as they did government checks. It's basically what Obamas gonna do soon anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  I only wished they had intercepted as many passes as they did government checks. It's basically what Obamas gonna do soon anyway.
                  Sorry that your candidate did not win. Tax the rich and save the poor. And may the Jacks be win tomorrow.

Comment

Nidaros, you thinking about Ten Years After? The lyric is, "Tax the rich, feed the poor/till there are no rich no more."
                    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                      Nidaros, you thinking about Ten Years After? The lyric is, "Tax the rich, feed the poor/till there are no rich no more."
                      Good red state thinking.

Comment

Since we aren't using it much anymore,the Yotes might want to borrow the "You Can Go Anywhere from Here" slogan !

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Since we aren't using it much anymore,the Yotes might want to borrow the "You Can Go Anywhere from Here" slogan !
                          605 605

Comment

No politics please! The message board may be the only refuge to keep away from politics!

On the subject of this thread: I agree with JimmyJack and his comments about not indicting the whole team for the bad acts of a few. The connection seems to be more Florida than USD. Bunch of young guys really messed up their lives!

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              Can I put in an early request for personal plates? Maybe put the score of Saturdays game on it? Jacks 30 -- Yotes 10.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Working...
                              X