This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Schedules

Dumb question, but why don't we play a true round robin in the conference? We can't be the only team with scheduling challenges
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
      Dumb question, but why don't we play a true round robin in the conference? We can't be the only team with scheduling challenges
      The reason was to cut travel costs for eastern members of MVFC, and likewise for the Dakota schools by not playing ISU red this past season it might have saved SDSU a few dolloars. USD gets a free ride this coming season in that they dont have to travel to Bloomington or is Normal, I believe. I really think we should go back to full or true round robin. Competition in my books outweighs travel expense.

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
        Yea! It isn't about attendance it is about playoff eligibility. You need 7 D-I wins to be considered for the FCS playoffs - the more D-I wins the better - and home games are statistically easier to win then road games and wins against cupcake are statistically easier to win then games against quality opponents. So since they all count the same, why not a cupcake at home. Now it is kinda about attendance, because you need strong attendance so that you can pay a cupcake to come in. It works for NDSU I would like us to get there too.
        Stig says it won't work for SDSU right now. Again, that is what the head coach said when asked about a "buying" a 6th home DI game. My guess is that Stig would LOVE to have 6 home games. In the past he has commented time and again about how tough the schedule has been for SDSU OOC and how much easier NDSU has had it. Someone pony up the 200,000K and get Wagner U. to Brookings the last weekend in August.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Sounds like NDSU might have their 12th game, as they have sent a contract to Deleware State

Comment

I still don't undestand advocating for a 6th home game against a cupcake. Since playoff participants are selected by a committee rather than qualifying by record, wouldn't a win against a cupcake carry less weight in the selection committee's eyes?

NDSU gets in on past history alone (which they have earned), but we do not have that luxury.

I'll take a 6th home game, but it needs to be against a quality opponent. If we can't beat one at home, do we really deserve to be in the playoffs anyway? None of this "buying our way into the playoffs" garbage.

Not that we can trust the selection process anyways.........

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              Sounds like NDSU might have their 12th game, as they have sent a contract to Deleware State
              Or did they confirm their 11th game, as they had to reschedule a game for next year (West Carolina game moved to 2016).

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                Or did they confirm their 11th game, as they had to reschedule a game for next year (West Carolina game moved to 2016).
                I believe this is correct. Last I had heard they were still looking for game 11 not 12. I may have missed something though.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                  I believe this is correct. Last I had heard they were still looking for game 11 not 12. I may have missed something though.
                  Yep, NDSU's 11 game schedule is confirmed w/ Delaware State. http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.d...CLID=206416264

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    I still don't undestand advocating for a 6th home game against a cupcake. Since playoff participants are selected by a committee rather than qualifying by record, wouldn't a win against a cupcake carry less weight in the selection committee's eyes?

NDSU gets in on past history alone (which they have earned), but we do not have that luxury.

I'll take a 6th home game, but it needs to be against a quality opponent. If we can't beat one at home, do we really deserve to be in the playoffs anyway? None of this "buying our way into the playoffs" garbage.

Not that we can trust the selection process anyways.........
                    Because the grind of the confrence can be a lot to deal with and adding more tough road games doesnt do much if we dont win those games. If we have the chance at a easy home game or tough road game we should take the home game. Work out the kinks and get the guys good reps and prepare for a tough confrence, not play another tough game that if we lose doesnt really help us make the playoffs. We play most of the games on the road, we have a hard time trying to bring in other good teams, so if that means we make some deals with a bottom feeder one year to get an extra home game, I think we have too. I would like to see us get into some 2fer1 deals with some teams that are maybe struggling to fill its schedule. Im not talking about going for a team who was dead last in the worst confrence to bring in but their are avg teams in a middle of the pack confrence that I feel we need to find ways to get to Brookings.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

My bad yes that is only their 11th game and that is all they will play

Comment

My bad yes that is only their 11th game and that is all they will play
                        $200,000 will be the payday for Delaware St. NDSU setting a precedent that SDSU can't follow. Hope we can continue to negotiate for home and home games with similar quality programs. Don't want to have to "buy" a 5th home game much less a 6th.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          . . .NDSU setting a precedent that SDSU can't follow. . .
                          Until and unless (in no special order)
                          1) the stadium re-build project is completed, and
                          2) SDSU's attendance starts brushing up against 20,000 a game, and
                          3) SDSU starts having sustained, repeated success in the post-season, up to and including a national championship or two of our own.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

$200K for a football program is ridiculous, however I see what their mind set it. home game, we'll sell it out, and at worse break even, we will probably win, and that should help guarantee a playoff appearance, in which we will get home games for and intern make more money if not from gate from economic impact in Fargo itself.

Comment

$200K for a football program is ridiculous, however I see what their mind set it. home game, we'll sell it out, and at worse break even, we will probably win, and that should help guarantee a playoff appearance, in which we will get home games for and intern make more money if not from gate from economic impact in Fargo itself.
                              Which would not be the case in Brookings at this time. I was at the playoff game this year, wasn't sold out. As Stig said, doesn't make sense for SDSU to"buy" home games at this time.

Comment

Put me in the camp that is very frustrated with the lack of a sixth home game. I just find it hard to believe we can't find anyone to have a home and home with. Maybe an occasional year of one less game but to do it several in a row is really bad.

filbert has it right in his post two above. joeboo22 also has it right. So which comes first? The chicken or the egg? Or, in this case, the stadiu, or the crowds?

If SDSU is really serious about being a football power then the stadium, six games (minimum) at home, and the indoor facility are all must have items. The fans have been coming out more and more every year. I think if they schedule it they will come. Does it take $200,000? Maybe if you don't want to have a return game. Finding a rotation of schools (Georgia Southern, Cal Poly, Cal Davis, etc.) to fill those dates is the key.

After too many years of five home games its time to change it. Schedule the game and the fans will show up. I don't care how, just get it done!

SUPERBUNNY
                                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X