This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Future Schedules

Some insight on Tarleton State University. Located in Stephenville, TX. A town about the size of Brookings. Nearly identical in terms of undergraduate numbers. An hour and a half from the DFW metroplex. Part of the Texas A&M system, and noted for their strong agricultural/nursing programs, among others. Memorial Stadium seats 10K. They were a DII powerhouse, for the most part. Went undefeated in the regular season last year, and fielded an NFL draft pick.

I know a lot of TSU folks, since I used to live near "the ville", as it is called. I'm hoping to get together a group of traveling Texans, for the trip to Brookings. It will be a great opportunity, to bring Texas and Dakota folks together, as they tend to be like minded, for the most part. I was in The Pride, when we played Texas State and Stephen F Austin, those few years. They were fun games. Looking forward to a quality lone star opponent. TSU has beaten FCS programs, before. All I can say is we had better not take them for granted. Tarleton is probably better than the likes of Drake, Duquesne, Long Island, etc...
    "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

• Originally posted by wr54 View Post
      Re: Future Schedules

Some insight on Tarleton State University. Located in Stephenville, TX. A town about the size of Brookings. Nearly identical in terms of undergraduate numbers. An hour and a half from the DFW metroplex. Part of the Texas A&M system, and noted for their strong agricultural/nursing programs, among others. Memorial Stadium seats 10K. They were a DII powerhouse, for the most part. Went undefeated in the regular season last year, and fielded an NFL draft pick.

I know a lot of TSU folks, since I used to live near "the ville", as it is called. I'm hoping to get together a group of traveling Texans, for the trip to Brookings. It will be a great opportunity, to bring Texas and Dakota folks together, as they tend to be like minded, for the most part. I was in The Pride, when we played Texas State and Stephen F Austin, those few years. They were fun games. Looking forward to a quality lone star opponent. TSU has beaten FCS programs, before. All I can say is we had better not take them for granted. Tarleton is probably better than the likes of Drake, Duquesne, Long Island, etc...
      They had a SID who was very vocal on D2Football board and was very certain that Josh Rankin would never play in the NFL. I suppose he was correct on that point. Tarleton is a very good program and probably in the middle of very good recruiting. I for one look for tough game.

Comment

• Here is an interesting thread regarding Tarleton's transition to FCS. It even garners discussion about off the wall topics, such as Summit League football?! What I find interesting is the fact that many of these posters didn't see TSU joining the WAC. There they are, in 2020.

https://www.csnbbs.com/thread-846977-page-4.html
        "Cheer the team from South Dakota with loyal hearts so true!"

Comment

• *Nevermind.
          Last edited by UWMandSDSU; 07-07-2020, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• We were not scheduled to play Drake in 2020. We open on September 5 with Butler at home.

Comment

• Thanks. My bad.
              #BeatTheBulldogs, whichever one it is.
              Carry on.

Comment

• Big Ten is discussing dropping all non-conference games which would take SDSU off schedule (Sept 19th) if it goes through. Illinois State plays Illinois on Sept 4.
                https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/ten...ikely-for-2020

Comment

• Big Ten reportedly will announce today they will only play conference games this year. Sept 19th game would be off the table. Unfortunately, I see this just as the beginning of these types of announcements. This also would have significant implications for our budget for the year losing that game on the schedule. https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...dule-this-fall

Comment

• The Ivy League has cancelled all sports until January 1st. That means no Ivy League football this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post
                      Big Ten reportedly will announce today they will only play conference games this year. Sept 19th game would be off the table. Unfortunately, I see this just as the beginning of these types of announcements. This also would have significant implications for our budget for the year losing that game on the schedule. https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/...dule-this-fall
                      I especially feel bad for the Nebraska Jacks, who I'm sure have had this date circled on their calendars for a long time.

Comment

• Per Stig from Argus: "The cancellation of the Nebraska game leaves South Dakota State with back-to-back open dates on its schedule (Sept. 5, Sept. 12). Stiegelmeier said there is 'no doubt' they will try to replace the Huskers, be it with an FBS or FCS opponent. 'At this point, you'd try to get whoever you could,' he said."

Central Michigan was also slated to play Nebraska on Sept. 12th, which was an open date for SDSU. So Central Michigan would be a possibility (all speculation on my part).

Comment

• I think we have to be prepared for no season or a start and suspension if a team gets inundated with infections.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                            I think we have to be prepared for no season or a start and suspension if a team gets inundated with infections.
                            Better safe than sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Nidaros View Post

Better safe than sorry.
                              I don't know. Starting to believe the emotional and financial toll might be worse then continuing to try and dodge this thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post

I don't know. Starting to believe the emotional and financial toll might be worse then continuing to try and dodge this thing.
                                I don't disagree. However, I can only imagine how the media will react if a football player dies while having Covid19. I don't think schools or the NCAA want to even chance that kind of press.

In my opinion, FCS probably won't have much of a season (testing will just be too expensive). Power5 teams will play the most games. If there is a champion crowned, it will just be via the AP poll.
                                Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
                                -Ben Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack 1738

Comment

Working...
                                X