This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Future Schedules

NDSU, with its fan base and sure sellouts, can afford to bring in an Austin Peay or other cupcake for a home game. Does anybody know what kind of guarantee they pay for those games?
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
      NDSU, with its fan base and sure sellouts, can afford to bring in an Austin Peay or other cupcake for a home game. Does anybody know what kind of guarantee they pay for those games?
      I believe NDSU is paying $200,000 + to bring in teams for 1 and done's. I know they've had to start paying more since they started winning Nat'l Championships because Fargo is a long way to travel for almost a guaranteed loss.
      If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
      - Steven Wright

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        Stig said this is not an option for SDSU, not financially feasible, can't do it. I don't know the details.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Isn't NDSU having problems finding a 12th opponent anyways for next season?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            Isn't NDSU having problems finding a 12th opponent anyways for next season?
            Yes, but they have also said they may not want an 12th game based on them playing so many games the past few seasons. They have essentially played another full season because of all of the playoff games.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              Stig said this is not an option for SDSU, not financially feasible, can't do it. I don't know the details.
              Another reason State has trouble is because you can't fly directly into Brookings like, for instance, you can in Fargo.

Also, I ran across this today. It's a short interview with Stig from the Star Tribune: http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/191247471.html
              Last edited by SDSUAlum08; 02-14-2013, 03:00 PM.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                I dont care if we have to get cupcakes to come in or some bottom FCS in a 2fer1 deal, but we need more home games...................Im gonna get on my soap box again but if we want to make a new stadium worth building and profitting from having larger attendances, when we can, we need 6 home games.
                Goon - Do you really want a game against a bottom feeder just to have a 6th home game? To a certain extent, we already struggle with attendance (maxing out each game) and I don't see how watering down the schedule will help that. Now if we add a top-tier FCS opponent, that's a different story.

Keep in mind that we are only 2 years removed from not packing the house against Northern Iowa. If I recall correctly, that was a night game, in October, vs. the #2 team in the country. I recall very distincly how Stig chided us fans on the radio broadcast after the game for the sparse attendance.

I am of the opinion that if we build a new stadium "they will come", but nothing is going to drive up attendance more than success on the football field. The shine of a new stadium will wear off very quickly if we don't put a good product on the field - See Target Field.

From the outside looking in, I would agree that it does not make financial sense to add a 6th game.

Comment

Yea! It isn't about attendance it is about playoff eligibility. You need 7 D-I wins to be considered for the FCS playoffs - the more D-I wins the better - and home games are statistically easier to win then road games and wins against cupcake are statistically easier to win then games against quality opponents. So since they all count the same, why not a cupcake at home. Now it is kinda about attendance, because you need strong attendance so that you can pay a cupcake to come in. It works for NDSU I would like us to get there too.
                  Last edited by LakeJack; 02-14-2013, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                    Keep in mind that we are only 2 years removed from not packing the house against Northern Iowa. If I recall correctly, that was a night game, in October, vs. the #2 team in the country. I recall very distinctly how Stig. chided us fans on the radio broadcast after the game for the sparse attendance.
                    I remember that game as the Chant game. I think the TOB chant won out that day and I distinctly remember a FAT Pat chant as well. I could be mistaken, but it's funny the things a guy takes away from any certain game.

Comment

Originally posted by slosho View Post
                      I remember that game as the Chant game. I think the TOB chant won out that day and I distinctly remember a FAT Pat chant as well. I could be mistaken, but it's funny the things a guy takes away from any certain game.
                      I'm pretty sure that was Southern Illinois

Its difficult, Sioux Falls can be very expensive to fly into. Still have to travel up to Brookings on top of it. I think you have to play the 12th game, whether its on the road or not. But I would be against playing a guarantee road game at a FCS opponent. If you can get a later return game (possibly when stadium improvements are finished). Then its not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I'm pretty sure that was Southern IllinoisIts difficult, Sioux Falls can be very expensive to fly into. Still have to travel up to Brookings on top of it.
                        FB teams aren't flying commercial! Not accounting for mileage, does it cost more to fly a charter plane into Sioux Falls vs other airports? I don't buy the "up to Brookings" excuse either. No matter where a team plays, they are chartering busses to take them from airport to hotel to stadium. Whether that's 35 minutes across city traffic somewhere or 50 minutes from SF to Brookings, it's not that different.
                        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                          FB teams aren't flying commercial! Not accounting for mileage, does it cost more to fly a charter plane into Sioux Falls vs other airports? I don't buy the "up to Brookings" excuse either. No matter where a team plays, they are chartering busses to take them from airport to hotel to stadium. Whether that's 35 minutes across city traffic somewhere or 50 minutes from SF to Brookings, it's not that different.
                          Shoot Assoc. AD Rob Petersen an e-mail in regards to fb scheduling and a 6th home game in a 12 game season. IMO he's been screwing the fb programs schedule for years now. He'll have all kinds of excuses for ya...guaranteed!!
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            Goon - Do you really want a game against a bottom feeder just to have a 6th home game? To a certain extent, we already struggle with attendance (maxing out each game) and I don't see how watering down the schedule will help that. Now if we add a top-tier FCS opponent, that's a different story.

Keep in mind that we are only 2 years removed from not packing the house against Northern Iowa. If I recall correctly, that was a night game, in October, vs. the #2 team in the country. I recall very distincly how Stig chided us fans on the radio broadcast after the game for the sparse attendance.

I am of the opinion that if we build a new stadium "they will come", but nothing is going to drive up attendance more than success on the football field. The shine of a new stadium will wear off very quickly if we don't put a good product on the field - See Target Field.

From the outside looking in, I would agree that it does not make financial sense to add a 6th game.
                            Yeah I do. A win would be huge for playoff possibility and we are avg more fans per game every year. Just because we don't avg 16K every game I think we are deserving to get an extra home game compared to being on the road.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              Shoot Assoc. AD Rob Petersen an e-mail in regards to fb scheduling and a 6th home game in a 12 game season. IMO he's been screwing the fb programs schedule for years now. He'll have all kinds of excuses for ya...guaranteed!!
                              Serious or sarcasm?
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                                Serious or sarcasm?
                                Good question. Rob is dead serious when you talk schedules with him. I suppose propar80 could do better, that is sarcasm.

Comment

Working...
                                X