Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Performance center deadline

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    What a great looking facility! One question....I realize it's a practice facility only, as far as football is concerned, but why an 80 yard field instead of 100? Does it have to do with the track?
    Yes, the dimensions of the 300 m track.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
      Yes, the dimensions of the 300 m track.
      I just looked at renderings of UND's soon to be facility they're building and they put a 100 yard field in theirs with a 300 meter track. However, they lose significant portions of each back corner on both endzones, which seems obvious when looking at the photos from our building.
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by KUlawJack View Post
        I just looked at renderings of UND's soon to be facility they're building and they put a 100 yard field in theirs with a 300 meter track. However, they lose significant portions of each back corner on both endzones, which seems obvious when looking at the photos from our building.
        I stand corrected then. Not sure why they didn't go with 100 yds. (Cost).

Photos of the UND facility. http://www.iconarchitects.com/projec...-facility.html

Comment

I believe, based on what many coaches have told me, that its much more important that the width of the field be regulation than the length be 100 yards. There are virtually no plays that require a 100 yard field for their execution. Kickoffs can be practiced outside.

Don't fret about the fact the field is 80 yards.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by i_got_a_fever
            I believe there is also something along the lines of indoor track competitions. There are probably specific dimensions to a 300 m indoor track that must be met to host NCAA Championship events (Summit League Championships). If you cram a 100 yard field inside of a 300 m track, even though the corners of the endzones appear to more rounded off, you would have to think that the track itself is elongated. UND may be able to host University sponsored competitions, but not NCAA Championships. That's my theory.
            I don't quite understand how UND can fit a "full-sized" football field inside a regulation size 300 meter track. If you look at the SDSU rendering compared to the UND rendering something doesn't quite add up. I think more of the end zone will be cutoff than what the UND rendering shows.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Thanks for all of the answers! Can't wait to see it.
              "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

I'd rather have ours for a practice facility.With a full sized end zone,you can practice your red zone plays the same as you would outdoors.UND's facility,you can't.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                  I don't quite understand how UND can fit a "full-sized" football field inside a regulation size 300 meter track. If you look at the SDSU rendering compared to the UND rendering something doesn't quite add up. I think more of the end zone will be cutoff than what the UND rendering shows.
                  Here's the deal:

All of UND's materials say that they're putting in a 300M track, but the rendering on the ICON website shows a 307M track.

I don't believe that UND is going to install a 307M track: The NCAA, as of 2004, will not certify any results from a 307M track.

This is what a 307M track looks like with a 100 yard FB field:

This is the UND rendering:

This is what a 300M track looks like with a 100 yard FB field:

Also, the S-JAC will have a front straight long enough to practice the 110M hurdles, an extra jump pit and more seats than the UND center.

Why didn't SDSU put in a clipped 100 yard field? I can think of two reasons:

- It makes for an awkward environment to practice goal-line situations

- Reportedly, SDSU is interested in hosting the 9 man championships. I doubt they would be a good candidate if corners of the playing field were on track surface.

Comment

https://twitter.com/LukeSchleusner
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      I believe, based on what many coaches have told me, that its much more important that the width of the field be regulation than the length be 100 yards. There are virtually no plays that require a 100 yard field for their execution. Kickoffs can be practiced outside.

Don't fret about the fact the field is 80 yards.
                      Why can't you practice kickoffs on a 80 yd. field?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                        Here's the deal:

All of UND's materials say that they're putting in a 300M track, but the rendering on the ICON website shows a 307M track.

I don't believe that UND is going to install a 307M track: The NCAA, as of 2004, will not certify any results from a 307M track.

This is what a 307M track looks like with a 100 yard FB field:

This is the UND rendering:

This is what a 300M track looks like with a 100 yard FB field:

Also, the S-JAC will have a front straight long enough to practice the 110M hurdles, an extra jump pit and more seats than the UND center.

Why didn't SDSU put in a clipped 100 yard field? I can think of two reasons:

- It makes for an awkward environment to practice goal-line situations

- Reportedly, SDSU is interested in hosting the 9 man championships. I doubt they would be a good candidate if corners of the playing field were on track surface.

Great info! How much seating is there gonna be in the practice facility?
                        "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                          Great info! How much seating is there gonna be in the practice facility?
                          Up to 1000.
                          http://sdsudevelopingchampions.com/facility

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            On the second pick down, I see:
                            Renovated Spaces @ Dykhouse Student-Athlete Center
                            Offices
                            Strength Coaches
                            Grad Assistants
                            Football Team Room
                            Kind of disappointing they have to renovate the Dykhouse already...
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                              ...Kind of disappointing they have to renovate the Dykhouse already...
                              The Dykhouse connects with the new indoor facility. That presented an opportunity to utilize some new or reconfigured space. Disappointing? You're kidding, aren't you?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                                The Dykhouse connects with the new indoor facility. That presented an opportunity to utilize some new or reconfigured space. Disappointing? You're kidding, aren't you?
                                I'm not outraged or anything, but you seriously don't raise eyebrows at renovating a brand new building?

I don't have a problem with it as you describe, as long as its not "now that we're in the building, we realize it really should have been done this way and we can bundle it with the big new facility" renovations. Renovating "offices" seems like it it could fit that scenario.

Renovating a brand new building seems like something an affluent and bored housewife would do. Not something a financially responsible state institution would do.
                                “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                                X