Jackrabbit Gameday Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit Gameday Experience

Post your ideas, suggestions and thoughts to improve or what you like about the gameday experience Jackrabbit Nation.

1. I just love all the SDSU flags flying in the tailgate area. Wish we had hundreds of flags flying. Something about the flags gets me excited. With they would fly flags on westside grandstand again.

2. Chain Gang ..... there setup rocks

3. Pride .... wish they could play more during the game.

4. Wish the cheer teams would go over to the eastside bleachers to help get that side of the stadium excited.
    We...ARE...STATE!
    SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Re: Jackrabbit Gameday Experience

Great question GoJacks. I am a little surprised you have not had numerous responses! Tailgating is improving every year even though the conditions for tailgating are not. Someone has posted concerns about concession that is drawing significant interest and is answering some of the questions you are asking. You may want to check that post out.

I had a great time last Saturday and look forward to the BEEF bowl game. Good win Jacks

GBGBGJ

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
    Post your ideas, suggestions and thoughts to improve or what you like about the gameday experience Jackrabbit Nation.

1. I just love all the SDSU flags flying in the tailgate area. Wish we had hundreds of flags flying. Something about the flags gets me excited. With they would fly flags on westside grandstand again.

3. Pride .... wish they could play more during the game.

4. Wish the cheer teams would go over to the eastside bleachers to help get that side of the stadium excited.

Comment

1. Backyard sure looked different without the trees to the north of the main area.
      2. Our spot is along the west tree line. It was nice to see that tree line cleaned up. Used to be overgrown and had small branches, etc. on the ground and was kind of a hazard to walk through. Trees had been pruned too.
      3. Speaking of trees, sure wish they could get some new trees going throughout the Backyard or at least around the perimeters. Campus/CAS provides a decent windbreak early in the season when the winds are mostly from the south. Come October/November, whoa Nellie!
      4. I wish UPD could relax a bit. Post-game, we were taking our time packing up, chatting about the game. After all, there was nowhere to go with traffic backed up. Set a time -- 30 minutes, 60 minutes -- to pack up and get out. Then they can release the hounds. Seemed to work pretty well at Kansas.
      5. I like the new look of the season tickets. Definitely a step up in the Classy Dept.
      6. I realize The Pride now does a pre-game, on-field show, but it was cool when they had time to march through the Backyard on their way to the stadium.
      7. Any word on the return of the Rooter King? We need some tradition.

That's all I got.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

I think tailgating restrictions could be loosened somewhat. I understand wanting to close the lots in order to maintain some semblence of order. Due to the lines at the concession stands, we simply went out to our spot and had refreshments and snacks there at half time before going back in for the second half. Worked great, no one bothered us, but I have a feeling that may not always be the case in the future.

Also, if the game is an afternoon game, why not allow people to tailgate some after the game? Its 6PM and beautiful outside. I think we should be allowed to tailgate after the game for a period of time following afternoon games, just set a couple hour time limit. Fire the grill back up and have dinner before heading out. This rush to force people out is not very enjoyable. We were at Illinois last year and the tailgating after the game was great. This would be a huge improvement.

Also, our crowd needs to learn to be louder and to stand and cheer more. That's kind of frustrating.

Also, I'd like it if our own band did not play while we were in the huddle. They also stop before the other team breaks the huddle. Need to play all the way through. Just an observation.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
          1. Backyard sure looked different without the trees to the north of the main area.
          2. Our spot is along the west tree line. It was nice to see that tree line cleaned up. Used to be overgrown and had small branches, etc. on the ground and was kind of a hazard to walk through. Trees had been pruned too.
          3. Speaking of trees, sure wish they could get some new trees going throughout the Backyard or at least around the perimeters. Campus/CAS provides a decent windbreak early in the season when the winds are mostly from the south. Come October/November, whoa Nellie!
          4. I wish UPD could relax a bit. Post-game, we were taking our time packing up, chatting about the game. After all, there was nowhere to go with traffic backed up. Set a time -- 30 minutes, 60 minutes -- to pack up and get out. Then they can release the hounds. Seemed to work pretty well at Kansas.
          5. I like the new look of the season tickets. Definitely a step up in the Classy Dept.
          6. I realize The Pride now does a pre-game, on-field show, but it was cool when they had time to march through the Backyard on their way to the stadium.
          7. Any word on the return of the Rooter King? We need some tradition.

That's all I got.
          We should create an intro video for The Pride for their performances. Trees for a wind break is must. I hope the master plan includes plenty of them.
          We...ARE...STATE!
          SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks View Post
            It does, but I'm not wasting part of my 4 or 5 hours setting up all that crap.
            For the record, they wouldn't let you in the lot area even 15 minutes before 10 am on Saturday. Stupid.
            Can't spell Stupid without UPD in it somewhere. Eyeballing people in and out before and after. Harassed people in my spot at halftime and after. Ridiculous. Then the idiots don't even pull off to the side in their little ATV's to allow people to get by and get out of the lots at the end of the game as they sat and BS'ed with their foot patrols. Dumbassery.
            Best part of the day out of 12000 fans at the game and lack of water, there were 20 UPD cops huddled around one of their own with an IV in his arm. What an idiot. Sorry, but Darwin was right. I'm sure he ended up being fine. But it made the Darker side of me smile.
            SO yes I would be all for UPD finding something more constructive to do.

The Pride: Can the whole thing and put the money towards a better speaker system and play more G'n'R and Ozzy and a jumbo for the other side(which I assume is part of the Fieldhouse construction) I don't care about the Pride, I don't want to see the Pride...I find it embarrassing people stand and cheer for a fricking band more than the football team. F the Pride(sorry Goon). Best thing is when the Pride is done playing usually some of the seating loosens up a bit as the Pride Parents leave.
            Less clothes on the cheerleaders, except the dudes, make them wear sweaters, like Will Ferrell.

I don't think I'm being very constructive right now.......
            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

When it comes to this topic I know my opinion is about as welcome as AIDS but I'll share with you my friends take on the game Saturday. He is a first time season ticket holder and was pumped to head to Brookings and have a day of fun. He bought 2 extra tickets and took a Coyote grad with him and his wife. The Coyote grad that went goes to about half of the games in Vermillion so he can compare fairly.My Rabbit friend came home totally bummed he bought season tickets. Hecsaidvfrom the time he setup his tailgate he thought he was surrounded by The Gestapo. In his words, it ruined the day. Then they went inside CAS, and he thought the seats were so tight he wasn't comfortable at all. Then his last words were, and I quote..."I thought USDs crowd was quiet at times, holy $hit, this crowd is dead"The Coyote guy that went with him said there is night and day difference in the tailgates between State and the U. According to him fans have a much better time in Vermillion, there is no harassment, and people have a great time. And lastly he said there was far more room to sit in the Dome and was far more comfortable.I say this not to harass you but validate what you are saying, and this new ticket holder is one and done. In fact, the next time he is heading back is for the game with USD. Those of you that have the AD's ear need to pressure him to get things changed. Heck, I am looking forward to the November game and tailgating with you. I know I won't take the harassment passively, but then again, wearing red I'll end up in jail. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                When it comes to this topic I know my opinion is about as welcome as AIDS but I'll share with you my friends take on the game Saturday. He is a first time season ticket holder and was pumped to head to Brookings and have a day of fun. He bought 2 extra tickets and took a Coyote grad with him and his wife. The Coyote grad that went goes to about half of the games in Vermillion so he can compare fairly.My Rabbit friend came home totally bummed he bought season tickets. Hecsaidvfrom the time he setup his tailgate he thought he was surrounded by The Gestapo. In his words, it ruined the day. Then they went inside CAS, and he thought the seats were so tight he wasn't comfortable at all. Then his last words were, and I quote..."I thought USDs crowd was quiet at times, holy $hit, this crowd is dead"The Coyote guy that went with him said there is night and day difference in the tailgates between State and the U. According to him fans have a much better time in Vermillion, there is no harassment, and people have a great time. And lastly he said there was far more room to sit in the Dome and was far more comfortable.I say this not to harass you but validate what you are saying, and this new ticket holder is one and done. In fact, the next time he is heading back is for the game with USD. Those of you that have the AD's ear need to pressure him to get things changed. Heck, I am looking forward to the November game and tailgating with you. I know I won't take the harassment passively, but then again, wearing red I'll end up in jail. Haha
                Good luck to your friends. You have not told me anything new. In fact I hardly see this post as constructive, but a rub it in post. Thanks anyway.

Comment

I'm sure the dome is more comfortable when your sitting next to an empty seat.

Comment

The tailgating experience is what you make of it. Complaining about the rules is a waste of time, follow them and you can have a great experience. The seats are tight and the west grandstand is steep. No tighter or steeper than places like Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, NE. The crowd isn't as loud is it could be but its plenty loud when it needs to be.

There is a lot of room for improvement and until those improvements occur the gameday experience will be less than ideal. Even when those improvements occur there will still be those that will complain, especially those that are not true Jackrabbit fans.

I am not a coyote fan and have no intention of attending a game in Vermillion if the Jackrabbits are not playing there. Zero interest on my part. I think its flattering that a coyote fan even considered attending a game at CAS not involving USD. Criticism accepted, I hope they work on making it better. I suggest coyote fans go ahead and stay out of CAS from this point further. Stick to the beloved dome.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I am writing to comment generally on yoteforever's post. I've had similar comparative reports (more than one) from USD fans who attended SDSU's tailgate: they were much more impressed with the SDSU experience than what was going on at USD. Now, the reports I received were prior to this year. I understand USD has some new excitement going and the tailgating experience continues to grow.

While one person's one-game experience is important, it usually is not an accurate overall picture. I think nearly all of the comments made on this message board have been constructive criticisms -- what we do not know is whether the same comments are getting to Aramark or whoever is making decisions.

I've been to both SDSU and USD games and I'll take the SDSU experience any day. Am I biased? Sure (but probably much less so than some USD fans may think).

I thought the tailgate area was a lot of fun prior to Saturday's game. I don't recall seeing UPD guys around (no, my eyesight wasn't impaired: I wasn't drinking alcoholic beverages-- so, who's experience is more accurate?

And Catrabbit: distrust of the police -- that's a strong American tradition. But, criticizing the Pride? Blasphemy! Personally, I thought the Pride was just about right throughout the day.

Comment

Two additional comments:

1. Seating at Coughlin.
                        I've had the same four seats for a few years. My wife and I try to make sure the other two are always filled. We bring skinny friends.

Apparently some of you have not been to Notre Dame's and many other great old stadiums. You want to talk about getting squeezed in? When we have a new stadium, we'll have some more room. Until then, just remember you're watching OUTDOOR football in a place where some legends have played.

2. Fans at CAS.
                        Saturday's crowd was dead. No question about it. People are remarking on that because it was not the usual crowd. The usual crowd will return.
                        There's no comparison to a raucus CAS crowd and a raucus DakotaDome crowd. I've been in both. SDSU wins hands down.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                          It does, but I'm not wasting part of my 4 or 5 hours setting up all that crap.
                          For the record, they wouldn't let you in the lot area even 15 minutes before 10 am on Saturday. Stupid.
                          Can't spell Stupid without UPD in it somewhere. Eyeballing people in and out before and after. Harassed people in my spot at halftime and after. Ridiculous. Then the idiots don't even pull off to the side in their little ATV's to allow people to get by and get out of the lots at the end of the game as they sat and BS'ed with their foot patrols. Dumbassery.
                          Best part of the day out of 12000 fans at the game and lack of water, there were 20 UPD cops huddled around one of their own with an IV in his arm. What an idiot. Sorry, but Darwin was right. I'm sure he ended up being fine. But it made the Darker side of me smile.
                          SO yes I would be all for UPD finding something more constructive to do.

The Pride: Can the whole thing and put the money towards a better speaker system and play more G'n'R and Ozzy and a jumbo for the other side(which I assume is part of the Fieldhouse construction) I don't care about the Pride, I don't want to see the Pride...I find it embarrassing people stand and cheer for a fricking band more than the football team. F the Pride(sorry Goon). Best thing is when the Pride is done playing usually some of the seating loosens up a bit as the Pride Parents leave.
                          Less clothes on the cheerleaders, except the dudes, make them wear sweaters, like Will Ferrell.

I don't think I'm being very constructive right now.......
                          I couldn't resist. When it comes to the band they need to play more not less. They use to play more but once the score board went up they acrtually have a guy who says when they can and can't play. Playing stupid advertisements and cheer videos on the score board are first. I feel it should go the other way. Cut the scorebaord speakers out just let the pa guy talk and let the band play between qtrs and time outs and such. Marching bands are what can make a game day expericne better and more unique then any other sporting event. If I was in charge thinks would be different. They would march to the stadium and threw the tailgating area under the stands and play and half time to go get lined up on the field for the intro. Highlight the band not marginalize them. Probably wouldn't go well marching threw the tailgaiting area but the gestapo I mean the stUPiD would get in the eay with their 4 wheelers. I understand the concern with college kids drinking but frankly upd making a pass in the backyard every hour shoulf be more then suffice. They just need a watching eye in the student areas. If anything maybe give a ticket for littering. It was embassersing and disgusting going threw their last year with the beer cans and red solo cups everywhere. I will say that makes it tought to have a family fun area when I can't let me kid walk around because he will try to pick up all that nasty garbage and if I had any grandmas still alive they probably wouldn't be very impressed either who ofthen came to watch me while in was in the band who would enjoy being here.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                            I couldn't resist. When it comes to the band they need to play more not less. They use to play more but once the score board went up they acrtually have a guy who says when they can and can't play. Playing stupid advertisements and cheer videos on the score board are first. I feel it should go the other way. Cut the scorebaord speakers out just let the pa guy talk and let the band play between qtrs and time outs and such. Marching bands are what can make a game day expericne better and more unique then any other sporting event. If I was in charge thinks would be different. They would march to the stadium and threw the tailgating area under the stands and play and half time to go get lined up on the field for the intro. Highlight the band not marginalize them. Probably wouldn't go well marching threw the tailgaiting area but the gestapo I mean the stUPiD would get in the eay with their 4 wheelers. I understand the concern with college kids drinking but frankly upd making a pass in the backyard every hour shoulf be more then suffice. They just need a watching eye in the student areas. If anything maybe give a ticket for littering. It was embassersing and disgusting going threw their last year with the beer cans and red solo cups everywhere. I will say that makes it tought to have a family fun area when I can't let me kid walk around because he will try to pick up all that nasty garbage and if I had any grandmas still alive they probably wouldn't be very impressed either who ofthen came to watch me while in was in the band who would enjoy being here.
                            We do a good job of policing our area and they put garbage cans at every other lot or so in the Backyard. That was a success and much appreciated. I'm sure the Aramark guys are getting an earful about the lack of water. Pretty silly considering you could look at your last year order #'s copy that then tack on a dozen or so more cases. If you don't sell it all, guess what? You have a game in two weeks. Once again they could have just sold water cups for $.50, if someone had been thinking on their feet.

I think the band should be reduced to about the size of the basketball pep band, just hook them all up electric with mikes. Think of the $ savings. Not to mention the additional seating for students! At least the band has stopped playing Beach Boys tunes. But nothing sounds as tragically unhip as when the announcer says "And now the Pride will play Po-ker Face by Lady(Big Space) Gahh(Big Space)Gahh." He is Rod Roddy-whitey white.........

With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                              It does, but I'm not wasting part of my 4 or 5 hours setting up all that crap.For the record, they wouldn't let you in the lot area even 15 minutes before 10 am on Saturday. Stupid.Can't spell Stupid without UPD in it somewhere. Eyeballing people in and out before and after. Harassed people in my spot at halftime and after. Ridiculous. Then the idiots don't even pull off to the side in their little ATV's to allow people to get by and get out of the lots at the end of the game as they sat and BS'ed with their foot patrols. Dumbassery.Best part of the day out of 12000 fans at the game and lack of water, there were 20 UPD cops huddled around one of their own with an IV in his arm. What an idiot. Sorry, but Darwin was right. I'm sure he ended up being fine. But it made the Darker side of me smile.SO yes I would be all for UPD finding something more constructive to do.The Pride: Can the whole thing and put the money towards a better speaker system and play more G'n'R and Ozzy and a jumbo for the other side(which I assume is part of the Fieldhouse construction) I don't care about the Pride, I don't want to see the Pride...I find it embarrassing people stand and cheer for a fricking band more than the football team. F the Pride(sorry Goon). Best thing is when the Pride is done playing usually some of the seating loosens up a bit as the Pride Parents leave. Less clothes on the cheerleaders, except the dudes, make them wear sweaters, like Will Ferrell.I don't think I'm being very constructive right now.......
                              This is awesome.

As for the UPD, they're in their own world a lot of the time. I've seen them numerous times go out of their way to get people in trouble. If anyone wants stories PM me. I won't go about it here.

The crowd would have been better if State wouldn't have played so pathetic on Saturday. I was bored. I had a bunch of friends on the east side who were all bored too and were attending their first game. You're not going to get people back with 1) Poor tailgate experiences with/without UPD, 2) Pathetic and boring play by State, and 3) Poor concessions and atmosphere at the game. Even the Jackrabbit Store at the stadium didn't have anything in it but knockoff price stuff.

I say that was a poor performance by our athletic department. This has to turn into an event to become successful. Right now it's not.

As for me, I'll be back in two weeks with my four season tickets and will continue next year. See you then!
                              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                              X