Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MSU-Mankato FB Coach Arrested

Originally posted by goon View Post
    I think that would be hard to go back. not sure i would make the same choice. I would perfer a settlement and backpay etc and move on. Then i think if he doesnt have a good season couldnt they just fire him next year then like had a losing record etc? What happens to the current head coach, or do they have 2 head coaches now?
    Good for him. It will be hard to go back, but he probably has some of the best job security of any DII coach in the country. If MSU fires Hoffner anytime in the next 5 years, they had better have EXTREMELY good cause. A .500 season or 5 probably isn't good cause if they care to avoid another lawsuit or arbitration.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

If he was un-employed I'd understand this, I do understand his wife/family are still in Mankato but when you get hired at a new job, after all of this I feel you are obligated to stay at that job, unless he had negotiated this prior to it.

If I'm Mankato State, I cut the football program and go D-I. I don't think they were wrong from removing him from the program, where they screwed up was firing him once they transferred him somewhere else. Who was at the most fault here was the prosecutors.

Comment

Here's a link to the story in the StarTribune: http://www.startribune.com/local/255284851.html

Mankato State wouldn't dare cut the football program now, joeboo.

Personally, I hope Hoffner picks up right where he left off and Mankato is very successful on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          If he was un-employed I'd understand this, I do understand his wife/family are still in Mankato but when you get hired at a new job, after all of this I feel you are obligated to stay at that job, unless he had negotiated this prior to it.

If I'm Mankato State, I cut the football program and go D-I. I don't think they were wrong from removing him from the program, where they screwed up was firing him once they transferred him somewhere else. Who was at the most fault here was the prosecutors.
          Curious. Have you read detailed stories on what Mankato St did and when they did it? I don't know how anyone could say something like that after knowing the details and the timeline. And don't say it was because he used the phone to take personal photos/videos; apparently MSU doesn't have a policy against that.

From the Mankato Free Press article I linked to above:
          Hoffner didn’t even deserve an oral reprimand in that case because he hadn’t violated any university policies, Wallin said. There were no rules against taking pictures with the phone, unless it was for illegal purposes.

Comment

http://www.startribune.com/local/255...tml?page=2&c=y
            Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

Westside since you are or where on campus, will the President status be affected by the wrongful action? Such as firing the coach without cause. Do we say opps!! and move on? Seems like there is a price to pay here.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                Curious. Have you read detailed stories on what Mankato St did and when they did it? I don't know how anyone could say something like that after knowing the details and the timeline. And don't say it was because he used the phone to take personal photos/videos; apparently MSU doesn't have a policy against that.

From the Mankato Free Press article I linked to above:
                I am with Hammer on this one. Really Joe?????? Seems like the man had a choice. Hedberg can only complain since the compensation did not include a buyout of his Minot contract.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Westside since you are or where on campus, will the President status be affected by the wrongful action? Such as firing the coach without cause. Do we say opps!! and move on? Seems like there is a price to pay here.
                  There are many on campus who would welcome Davenport (the President) leaving. He is a pretty unpopular figure with faculty and staff. I'm not involved enough with the politics of campus or the MNSCU system to make a guess if Davenport and the AD will get the ax, but who knows. IMO, Davenport will be asked to leave.
                  Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The president and the AD are both very unpopular on campus, not only with the kids, but with staff as well. One of my kids played there, and there's always controversy.

i know Todd well, we are good friends. Even I'm surprised that's he's going back, but the more I think about it, it fits who he is. Todd's not one that wants revenge. In his mind, if he is made whole financially, and can resume his normal duties, he's thinking this will eventually blow over. And maybe it will. It would take a strong person to do that, and Todd is very strong. He's a strong Christian, as is his wife. Maybe he's just that much bigger than the rest of us.

Throughout is whole ordeal, it just never made sense to him why it was all happening. Even in preliminary findings, there was nothing that indicted him. Everyone on staff was baffled. About the only thing that could be said in defense of the administration was that it came at the time the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn state was in the news. Other than that, all anyone had to do was get character witnesses of Todd, and it would have surfaced rather quickly that he was an innocent man. Todd is as nice a guy as you'll ever meet in sports. I wish him and Mel well, and pray that it indeed does blow over.

I know now for a fact his lawyer wants blood, so maybe that portion of it isn't over yet. It's just not Todd's way.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                      The president and the AD are both very unpopular on campus, not only with the kids, but with staff as well. One of my kids played there, and there's always controversy.

i know Todd well, we are good friends. Even I'm surprised that's he's going back, but the more I think about it, it fits who he is. Todd's not one that wants revenge. In his mind, if he is made whole financially, and can resume his normal duties, he's thinking this will eventually blow over. And maybe it will. It would take a strong person to do that, and Todd is very strong. He's a strong Christian, as is his wife. Maybe he's just that much bigger than the rest of us.

Throughout is whole ordeal, it just never made sense to him why it was all happening. Even in preliminary findings, there was nothing that indicted him. Everyone on staff was baffled. About the only thing that could be said in defense of the administration was that it came at the time the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn state was in the news. Other than that, all anyone had to do was get character witnesses of Todd, and it would have surfaced rather quickly that he was an innocent man. Todd is as nice a guy as you'll ever meet in sports. I wish him and Mel well, and pray that it indeed does blow over.

I know now for a fact his lawyer wants blood, so maybe that portion of it isn't over yet. It's just not Todd's way.
                      Thanks Yoteforever for your insight on this matter. I am with his lawyer, I would want blood too. Davenport should pay for this somehow. No doubt, Todd will have some legal bills to take care of. You hope not too much.

Comment

Total guess here but I'm going to assume he moved his family up to Minot, ND and thought what the hell am I doing here. That place is a mess. Having the opportunity to get back to Mankato, as hard as it might be, is probably in the best interest of his family. You have to think that played a part in his decision.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                          Total guess here but I'm going to assume he moved his family up to Minot, ND and thought what the hell am I doing here. That place is a mess. Having the opportunity to get back to Mankato, as hard as it might be, is probably in the best interest of his family. You have to think that played a part in his decision.
                          No kidding. Minot vs Mankato..... makes the decision a lot easier to go back.

Comment

Not to quibble over details, but the articles stated the family had stayed in Mankato, so this decision was easy for Hoffner. Lawyers have a ways of determining outcomes or maybe it appeared to be a slam dunk in his favor, so maybe his lawyer advised him to keep the fam in Mankato.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                              Actually Mel and the kids were still in the Mankato area. Waiting for school to be out, then the plan was to move to Minot.

Comment

Heads should be rolled. Especially those heads that made decisions that cost the school dearly. From this Coastal guy's perspective, it looks like the President and AD were the people who made the decision to fire Todd, ergo, the right heads. If I'm the board of trustees, there are no places for such "leadership".

Comment

Working...
                                X