Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement on practice field this month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did not know where to put this! Sanford's $10 million gift.

I'm happy with the deal. I get that people are sick of seeing "Sanford" on everything, but it's better to have the building with the name than to have a sign on a plot of land that says "Future home of the SDSU Human Performance Center."

Special thanks to the anonymous donors who have fronted $8 million dollars so far for the project, as that is a lot of money to give away with no personal publicity attached to it.
    Last edited by Kemo; 08-04-2012, 11:26 AM.
    If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
    - Steven Wright

Comment

So where does this leave us with the push for the new stadium? I'm concerned that it is going to get pushed out much further than most of us would like.

Scuba, the controversies over the Sanford name being used revolve around more than just his wealth. Most people understand that he essentially built his fortune from high interest rate credit cards. Some see that as taking advantage of people who don't know any better. I personally feel that if he didn't do it, someone else would have. God Bless America and long live capitalism! There are also those who have met him and well, you can put two and two together there.

When it comes to his money and SDSU, I'll take it all day long and twice on Sunday if it helps promote our beloved University.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
        So where does this leave us with the push for the new stadium? I'm concerned that it is going to get pushed out much further than most of us would like.

Scuba, the controversies over the Sanford name being used revolve around more than just his wealth. Most people understand that he essentially built his fortune from high interest rate credit cards. Some see that as taking advantage of people who don't know any better. I personally feel that if he didn't do it, someone else would have. God Bless America and long live capitalism! There are also those who have met him and well, you can put two and two together there.

When it comes to his money and SDSU, I'll take it all day long and twice on Sunday if it helps promote our beloved University.
        It's where it has always has been. There is a priority list for facilitites, and the Athletic Department is pretty systematically moving their way down the list.

The indoor practice facility was higher on the list than the stadium re-build was. It still is. But as far as I know, the stadium is the next line on the list.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: Announcement on practice field this month?

Very cool. A generous and logical investment for Sanford Health. Thank you. The practice facility has got to be a higher priority than the stadium because it will be used more often and by more students. This is a big day in Jackrabbit-Land.
          This space for lease.

Comment

...Most people understand that he essentially built his fortune from high interest rate credit cards. Some see that as taking advantage of people who don't know any better. I personally feel that if he didn't do it, someone else would have. God Bless America and long live capitalism! There are also those who have met him and well, you can put two and two together there....
            It seems many people have reached the conclusion of which you write but the fact is, over the years Premier Bank -- a separate institution from Premier Bancard -- has been a successful bank and that is the foundation for what Mr. Sanford has accomplished. SDSU alum Dana Dykhouse has done an outstanding job running Premier Bank and Mr. Sanford noted that with his donation of the majority funds used to construct the Dykhouse Center.

Comment

I can understand why people wouldn't like that aspect of Sanford, just seems like a lot of people like to point fingers instead of turn that finger around on themselves. I agree on Sanford doing something someone else would have done too. To me though, Sanford has increased the quality of life not just in Sioux Falls but all along the I-29 corridor. His givings have to be in the 100's of millions by now and plain and simple, if you want cake and want to eat it too...then to me there is two logical choices: 1) enjoy what has been given or 2) pull out the check book and do something about it, something other people and corporations in the area just haven't done in the magnitude or regularity as Mr. Sanford...So with that I agree I will take his generous donations and partnerships if it ensures the students are footing the bill in fee increases as a direct result of construction (because, lets face it, indirectly they always will).

I sure hope you are wrong about donations slowing down however. I would see this as an opportunity to really sell the whole jackrabbit family side of things. We all came to D1 together, we all should help (if we can) to some extent. 8 million is substantial without public accolades (as you mentioned) and i think that should invigorate others to give some, any...not saying you half too I just hope it would promote it.

Like it or Hate it, it is an exciting time to be a jackrabbit. I really do not think even SDSU brass could say they saw the successes and maturation, when they decided to move to D1, happen so quickly. Excited to see the rest of the money come in on time, and then we can focus on the big ticket item (football stadium)!

Comment

Scuba, the controversies over the Sanford name being used revolve around more than just his wealth. Most people understand that he essentially built his fortune from high interest rate credit cards. Some see that as taking advantage of people who don't know any better. I personally feel that if he didn't do it, someone else would have. God Bless America and long live capitalism! There are also those who have met him and well, you can put two and two together there. When it comes to his money and SDSU, I'll take it all day long and twice on Sunday if it helps promote our beloved University.
                The stadium project has numerous avenues, including bonding, which can be utilized in building the eventual facility: corporate sponsorships, sky boxes, concessions, parking, ticket revenue, etc. The indoor facility will be built entirely out of private donations...is #1 on our priority list (a must for recruiting athletes in outdoor sports to a northern climate, where we have no facilities for them to utilize in the winter.)

And understand that the Sanford pledging the $10 million is not T. Denny Sanford, but Sanford Health (true, Mr. Sanford has given multi-millions to Sanford Health), and with the contribution they are "buying" the rights to be the contractor for medical services to the SDSU athletic department, which was their focus in gifts to SDSU and NDSU's athletic facilties. And finally, Premier Bank cards were high interest, because they were very high risk...and if anybody else wants to get in that business, they are welcome to try and make it.

The practice facility has been a dream for me, knowing the need for the facility, and the need for it to be built entirely out of private money...and I am extremely excited we are nearing that goal (just wish I had $8 million to throw in the pot and get it to full funding)!!

Comment

Dear Gift Horse, I promise not to spend too much time looking you in the mouth. Let's build this thing and move on to that football stadium.

Comment

Fundraising will continue to be and has been the priority. This gift will only help to motivate others to donate. There are hundreds if not thousands of people working extra hours well outside of their job and home life to raise money for SDSU the institution and the athletic programs. Let me personally thank those of you reading this that are one of those people. No time to rest, keep making calls, sending e-mails, and promoting all the great things happening at SDSU. People want to be part of what is one of the most exciting times for our university. I'm going to go watch some amateur baseball. Pulling for Lake Norden and Castlewood tonight.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Fundraising will continue to be and has been the priority. This gift will only help to motivate others to donate. There are hundreds if not thousands of people working extra hours well outside of their job and home life to raise money for SDSU the institution and the athletic programs. Let me personally thank those of you reading this that are one of those people. No time to rest, keep making calls, sending e-mails, and promoting all the great things happening at SDSU. People want to be part of what is one of the most exciting times for our university. I'm going to go watch some amateur baseball. Pulling for Lake Norden and Castlewood tonight.
                      Hogie and Raasch both made the HOF this year.
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                        http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

It's been announced......by the way this is awesome....and if they name it the Sanford Athletic Center....I don't care......one thing my Dad taught me, don't bitch about free money.......
                        Good advice.

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...news|text|Home

It's been announced......by the way this is awesome....and if they name it the Sanford Athletic Center....I don't care......one thing my Dad taught me, don't bitch about free money.......
                          One of many things my Dad taught me is that nothing is free.
                          USD Fan

Comment

Originally posted by hareball View Post
                            One of many things my Dad taught me is that nothing is free.
                            Do you think it will become Sanford Dakota State University? Or South Dakota Sanford University? Sorry....it's free. Well....I suppose Denny will get free tickets for life.....I think we can swing that......
                            With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                              The stadium project has numerous avenues, including bonding, which can be utilized in building the eventual facility: corporate sponsorships, sky boxes, concessions, parking, ticket revenue, etc. The indoor facility will be built entirely out of private donations...is #1 on our priority list (a must for recruiting athletes in outdoor sports to a northern climate, where we have no facilities for them to utilize in the winter.)

And understand that the Sanford pledging the $10 million is not T. Denny Sanford, but Sanford Health (true, Mr. Sanford has given multi-millions to Sanford Health), and with the contribution they are "buying" the rights to be the contractor for medical services to the SDSU athletic department, which was their focus in gifts to SDSU and NDSU's athletic facilties. And finally, Premier Bank cards were high interest, because they were very high risk...and if anybody else wants to get in that business, they are welcome to try and make it.

The practice facility has been a dream for me, knowing the need for the facility, and the need for it to be built entirely out of private money...and I am extremely excited we are nearing that goal (just wish I had $8 million to throw in the pot and get it to full funding)!!
                              I looked at the SDSU Foundation webpage and did not see the score card on the drive towards 200 million. Do you know if the 16 million had been included in that total of about 185 million? That was the amount raised the last time I looked which has be a while back. If not these two gifts would put the foundation at 201 million which would reach the goal but that does not mean those small potatoes people like me have to stop giving.

I dont have the 8 million either, but am thinking of giving 500 bucks.

btw, I am too old to start a credit card bank. I am certain that at one time T Denny took a big risk in starting Premier. To his credit he got it going. In the ideal world he would probably have less to show for with more reasonable interest rates. The SD legislature change the usury laws and he was within the law. So ethically he might not be pure, but who is?. Thank you Mr. Krabbenhoft and thank you Mr. Sanford.
                              Last edited by Nidaros; 08-03-2012, 09:48 PM.

Comment

Do you think it will become Sanford Dakota State University? Or South Dakota Sanford University? Sorry....it's free. Well....I suppose Denny will get free tickets for life.....I think we can swing that......
                                Look at it this way--It's doubtful that SDSU attached any sort of clause to the donation which gave Denny S. virtual veto authority (from the grave!!!!) over the school's nickname.

Perspective, people. Perspective.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X