Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement on practice field this month?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Announcement on practice field this month?

I'm surprised no one has posted a link to TV's article on a possible announcement on the indoor practice field this month. This would be a tremendous addition for all outdoor sports.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports

Re: Announcement on practice field this month?

Would be nice to see this get going. It is amazing the amount of construction going on campus the past several years. Seems like baracades and cranes have become a permanet fixture at State.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      Would be nice to see this get going. It is amazing the amount of construction going on campus the past several years. Seems like baracades and cranes have become a permanet fixture at State.
      Considering our climate, and this winter has been an exception, there has been a long time need for this facility. I caught the D2 Baseball world Series, a few years back in Montegomery Ala. and the closest team to SDSU geographically, in the tourney was Central Missouri. Its hard to contend in some sports if you can not get your season started when you are suppose to. I just hope the facility will not create conflicts in scheduling practice for different sports such as track and field, softball, baseball and late season football practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
        I'm surprised no one has posted a link to TV's article on a possible announcement on the indoor practice field this month. This would be a tremendous addition for all outdoor sports.http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...ws|text|Sports
        I think part of the reason is because we've been hearing about this for several months now and we're still waiting. The article doesn't say anything besides that we'll hear something this month. I heard the same thing back in Jan/Feb. No complaining here, but I'd just like to hear when they'll start and see some pictures of what it will look like before I get too excited. I understand it takes time. State really needs this facility completed.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          ... I just hope the facility will not create conflicts in scheduling practice for different sports such as track and field, softball, baseball and late season football practice.
          That, in my view, will be a very welcome and refreshing problem, compared to the present, dire lack of indoor practice space. Bring it on!
          This space for lease.

Comment

Are there any drawings on the table? I'm sure there are some alonf with the eventual new football stadium. If we could see what the money goes for it would be a lot easier imo to get more donantions of all kinds. Also the frost changes so we can see what we are bickering about. Seeing those kind of master plans and drawings are great for fans to get excited about those projects.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              Are there any drawings on the table? I'm sure there are some alonf with the eventual new football stadium. If we could see what the money goes for it would be a lot easier imo to get more donantions of all kinds. Also the frost changes so we can see what we are bickering about. Seeing those kind of master plans and drawings are great for fans to get excited about those projects.
              I'm assuming they'll be released in the coming month.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

There has been a lot of time (stretching back years) spent in working on obtaining major donor(s) for this facility. It is (IMHO) the #1 need for the SDSU athletic program and I know that is where it ranks for the department. If I was smart enough to know how to get a picture from my phone to the board, I could show you the facility at the University of Akron, which will be a prototype for our facility. I believe we will have more seating for track than that of the Akron structure, but otherwise it will be similar (80-yard football turf infield, surrounded by 300-meter track (at Akron, it was six lanes around, but eight lanes in the straightaway. The field had a multiple drop down curtain structure, which allowed it be partitioned off, so numerous teams could be practicing at the same time.

I believe what was announced in February, in reality just took longer to get tied-up, and that we will hear an announcement forthcoming before too long. If it does, I will be shouting HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Comment

And if I had thought of not apologizing for my nerdiness (inability to post a photo), I would have simply provided you with this link, to see a picture inside of Stile Field House at the University of Akron:

http://gozips.com/athletics/facilities/index

Y
                  ou can also see how it looks from the exterior.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                    There has been a lot of time (stretching back years) spent in working on obtaining major donor(s) for this facility. It is (IMHO) the #1 need for the SDSU athletic program and I know that is where it ranks for the department. If I was smart enough to know how to get a picture from my phone to the board, I could show you the facility at the University of Akron, which will be a prototype for our facility. I believe we will have more seating for track than that of the Akron structure, but otherwise it will be similar (80-yard football turf infield, surrounded by 300-meter track (at Akron, it was six lanes around, but eight lanes in the straightaway. The field had a multiple drop down curtain structure, which allowed it be partitioned off, so numerous teams could be practicing at the same time.

I believe what was announced in February, in reality just took longer to get tied-up, and that we will hear an announcement forthcoming before too long. If it does, I will be shouting HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
                    Here is Akron's indoor field house. http://www.gozips.com/athletics/facilities/stile

*Jack#1 beat me to it.

Comment

Very impressive model to follow.

I noted that Mr. Stiles was in real estate and had his own construction firm. Of course construction could mean all sorts of things, but am curious if it was Mr. Stiles construction company that built the building? If so they did a bang up job. Is our key donor involved in construction as was Ralph Englestad? Just curious.

Comment

Another one to take a look it is the facility just completed at Youngstown State University.

http://www.ysusports.com/information/facilities/watts
                        We...ARE...STATE!
                        SOUTH...DAKOTA...STATE!!

Comment

Just a couple of follow-up notes: The Youngstown facility is similar to Akron inside, but has no seating for track. Akron had some, but it sounds like our facility will have more seating for indoor meets.

Secondly, the Akron building had offices and other facilities in one end of the complex, and that is also probably what we are going to have (or at least what the athletic department wants, if the money can be raised). Remember, the Dykhouse Center was a $12 million project, and only half of it was built, in effect. The offices and meeting rooms, and ancillary facilities for all outdoor sports was originally planned to be housed in the Dykhouse. Those would be provided in the practice facility...IF...the money is there. Four or five years ago, the indoor practice facility had an $18-20 million price tag. But on the master plan it now carries a $32 million figure. I assume that would mean updated cost figures, plus providing the rest of the facilities planned for the Dykhouse.

Comment

Page 10 (it is page 12 on the e version) of the SDSU Football Media Guide has an artist rendering of the Indoor Practice facility. I have also seen it in color at many events.

http://issuu.com/jackrabbitathletics/docs/fb_media_guide_2011

Go State!

Comment

Drawing looks interesting and show seating for Track and Field. Finally SDSU can host an indoor event.

Comment

Working...
                              X