Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Next year.

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
    Nagy has stated that the biggest improvements come between the Frosh and Soph year. Jacks have 3 players, the two Zachs, and T. Prince that were Frosh this year. That should be some substantial increases if those 3 come back with the improvements that we saw from Jordan, Tony, Chad, and Marcus this season.

Devine will be a game changer for the Jacks, clogging up the middle, and altering the drives and short jumpers. However, nex year, he'll be a skinny Frosh. Like Keith Benson his Frosh year, we'll see flashes of his abilities, but he'll get pushed around by the thick centers of the league. Can't teach 7' though.

Hope that Jacks have a more solid line-up of BCS teams set, and especially those NIT teams. Start in Nov. with some upper Mid's (WKU, MTSU, Denver, St. Mary, Iona, Buffalo). In Dec. go into those dens of unfair play, and pull some upsets. If Jacks can go another 10-4, but add the wins over 4 BCS teams, Jacks will be well poised for another run into the NCAA's. Want the Jacks to achieve Nagy's goal of advancing in the NCAA. That means getting better than a 14/15/16 seed. Would love to see the Summit achieve an at-large.

Based on who's coming back, pre-season poll for the Summit should be:

1. SDSU
    2. Oakland
    3. WIU
    4. NDSU
    5. IPFW
    6. IUPUI
    7. USD
    8. UMKC
    9. UNO

Much more comfortable in the upper part of that bracket than the positions of the lower 4. Really know zip about UNO.

Does anyone have a sense of the reshirts from this year; who may be most ready?
    And is DeVine that tall? I thought he was 6-9.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
      eligibility.

As for Chad, I think he has a long way to go before he is ready to take Griff's role in the starting line up. A lot more to the game than just shooting 3's.
      No disagreement from me but it is a very encouraging sign the way he played in the Summit Championship game and against Baylor. He has the ability to be a real asset for the team. Nagy even said in his post-game news conference that he thought Chad would be our second leading scorer this year. If we are going to be really good next year, Chad White needs to have a consistent year.

SUPERBUNNY
      MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=SUPERBUNNY;201663]No disagreement from me but it is a very encouraging sign the way he played in the Summit Championship game and against Baylor. He has the ability to be a real asset for the team. Nagy even said in his post-game news conference that he thought Chad would be our second leading scorer this year. If we are going to be really good next year, Chad White needs to have a consistent year.

Could we see Prince and Chad start with Carlson being the super sub for both guard spots?

Comment

[QUOTE=Hip2daHop;201665]
          Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
          No disagreement from me but it is a very encouraging sign the way he played in the Summit Championship game and against Baylor. He has the ability to be a real asset for the team. Nagy even said in his post-game news conference that he thought Chad would be our second leading scorer this year. If we are going to be really good next year, Chad White needs to have a consistent year.

Could we see Prince and Chad start with Carlson being the super sub for both guard spots?
          Carlson is generally regarded as our best defender - with Griff gone,there is no way Carlson doesn't start.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackbacker123 View Post
            Has anyone ever heard a reason why from Nagy that he didn't redshirt Zach H? Sure seems like a waste of a year of eligibility.

As for Chad, I think he has a long way to go before he is ready to take Griff's role in the starting line up. A lot more to the game than just shooting 3's.
            Chad does a lot of things very, very well. He averaged 1 less rebound per game and 1 less point per game than Griff, had 9 more assists, and 6 more blocks despite playing 4 less minutes a game. He did have 2 more turnovers than Griff, but I would expect a senior to play better than a sophomore. On top of all that, Chad shot over 47% from 3. Long story short, Chad would get minutes if he shot 35% from 3.

The exciting thing to me is that Chad does so much AND has obvious room for improvement (he has 2 more years). Say what you want about Griff (and I would probably agree), but he had reached his full potential. 10 points, 5 rebounds, and stellar defense is everything you could get from him.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chad were an all conference selection next year.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think we have enough scorers on this team. I would like to see the remaining scholarship go to a big, nasty, mature 6'8 junior college who can move people out of the paint , rebound and finish around the rim.

Comment

There you go. Couldn't help but notice the JUCO C for West Ill played at ICCC... That's a D II Juco I believe, so strong defender types are out there.

Comment

This team is built to win the summit IMO with the right combo of players and size and skill. However if we want to get past that next round we need more height overall, as long as it comes with effort. Our team works its butt off on D but often gets shafted because players are defending guys bigger then they are. Fiegen, Griff come to mind. That allows Wolters to get some rebounds with his size advantage, but we need more length and hustle from our posts to get more scores down low and rebounding against power confrence teams. We do a great job of passing out of the post on cuts to the basket, would be great if we could develop a drive to the basket and passing into the posts. Either way I think next year is going to be a fun and unique ride again. Cant beleive wolters will be a Senior. holy cow.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Carlson plays huge minutes this year. I doubt anyone will push him out of starting role. Between him and Griff, they did great most games at shutting down the other team's leading scorer. Chad and Prince will be the ones most likely to step into Griff's small forward, defensive lead.

Next year's team may be a more front-court team than this year's team. Marcus builds up more, and Devine plays smoother than I would anticipate, maybe more in the paint than the 1 post - 4 wings ran this season.

Comment

didnt the juco center from wiu just quit the team?

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                        I think it was just a backup center that quit...not Parks

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                          Chad does a lot of things very, very well. He averaged 1 less rebound per game and 1 less point per game than Griff, had 9 more assists, and 6 more blocks despite playing 4 less minutes a game. He did have 2 more turnovers than Griff, but I would expect a senior to play better than a sophomore. On top of all that, Chad shot over 47% from 3. Long story short, Chad would get minutes if he shot 35% from 3.

The exciting thing to me is that Chad does so much AND has obvious room for improvement (he has 2 more years). Say what you want about Griff (and I would probably agree), but he had reached his full potential. 10 points, 5 rebounds, and stellar defense is everything you could get from him.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Chad were an all conference selection next year.
                          It's not that I don't think White will play a significant roll on the team next year but i wouldn't rush to get him into the starting line-up. He is a great shooter and I love his offense off the bench but is defense is not good. Yes he had two blocked shots in the championship game but other than that, he looks completely lost most of the time on defense. I am really looking forward to seeing what Zach H. brings to the team next year.

Comment

I think Chad is better off the bench. I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seemed to me that his numbers were better when coming off the bench then starting.

I think Zach Horstman will be a major player on the team, wouldn't surprise me if he is starting at the end of the year

Devine, I think he's 6'10", hopefully his coach will come on and get us up to date, but he is a legit 6'10" with a legit 6'10" (if not longer) arm span

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                              It sounds like there is a chance that Ceola Clark might get a 6th season. REALLY don't want to see him back, hopefully he feels it is time to move on.

Comment

Sorry, just finished up our state tournament. Took 3rd, a big disappointment for our seniors, our goals were set high and if we got to the championship game we win it, but we ran into a good team who came out and shot 85% in the first quarter, we came back to tie it but couldn't get over the hump. Connor played well as usual but would have traded it for a state championship in a heart beat. Great kid. I'm going to miss him more than he'll miss me for sure. Your gain for sure.

Saw the couple questions on Connor's height/length. He's between 6'8 1/2" and 6' 9" barefoot. The NBA and most others add 1.5" for shoes etc. So we'd list him 6'10"+ and like most boys he'll probably get a little bit more. His length is another issue. I don't think we've measured in a while, maybe over a year, last I remember he was right at 7' if not a little more. It wouldn't surprise me if it was a little more than that now, who knows.

Last I heard he will be down there May 29th to start working out. He graduates May 16th I think and then is doing a little vacation with the family and then headed to Brookings. Plan is to get him integrated as much as possible and see if they can determine whether or not to redshirt him by the end of summer/fall workouts. It should be good and I know he's focused to go in and work his butt off and earn time if he can, he's not opposed to redshirting, but he's not going down there expecting it 100% either. I don't think he'd be opposed to actually playing with Nate a year, but he'll do what the coaches think is best for the program and Connor.

He is skinny, but he is strong and has good hands. He's used to playing against people bigger and thicker, so it's not a wash. He triple doubled against the biggest kid he faced this year (6'8" 275).

I'm excited for him and the future of SDSU hoops.

Comment

Working...
                                X