Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Twins Thread (2012)

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
    Oh I think it is, as with a low dollar payroll, you either have "has beens" or a bunch of young rookies. The Pirates have had mostly rookies who have ended up somewhere else making more money. I have not pay that much attentions to payrolls for a few years. I just threw the payroll comment out there as I can't imagine things have changed much in Pittsburg in terms of dollars, nor elsewhere in the major leagues. Every franchise is dollar driven in terms of goals, and they often do that with dollar driven payrolls. I have not been to a major league game in years, but the last I attended I was awed with the price of concessions, just one of the many ways of meeting the payroll.

I really don't know what the Twins problem is about. I just thought since they took good care of my Cubs, I thought they should be able to handle the Pirates. Its another day.
    How much a team pays does not determine wins. One should expect a team that pays more should do better but look no futher then the cubs. Who have had huge payrolls and rarely in the last few years were able to contend at all. My guess is the Twins have a better record then the cubs who should be in the last place in the NL central. The pirates are a game or 2 out of first. My Cardinals are right in the middle, but they will be fine. A lot of injuries but playing well. Just need to ride the storm and get hot when it counts and win 12 in 12.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

From my perch here in KC, my perception of the Twins is that they've been hit by an almost perfect storm of injuries and player departures, combined with a perhaps slight weakening of their farm system. It doesn't help that at the same moment in time, the Royals have somehow, seemingly decided at last to pick themselves up and stop being quite the doormat they've been for the past decade.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

From the other thread:

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        The thing about Slama is he wasn't very impressive when in the bigs last year and at least the little I saw him I don't know how he had those stats with his stuff. He has similar stuff to Burnett who is in the bullpen for the Twins. And he can't be any worse then Gray and Burnett but it just seemed like his stuff wasn't there. I've read some reports that he is the prototypical AAAA player. The guy who is lights out at AAA but doesn't have good enough stuff in the majors.
        The dude didn't give up a single hit in the majors last year (only 2.1 IP) so I'm going to assume you are talking about 2010? Either way, he has pitched a total of 6 relief innings in the majors, which is not even close to a big enough sample size to make a call one way or the other. Meanwhile Jeff Gray has pitched 30 innings this year at 4.40 ERA and 1.46 WHIP (yikes). Maybe Slama's stuff isn't that great but the Twins have not even given him a shot at excelling in the majors. He has a CAREER minor league ERA of 1.95 in 308 IP, with a 1.07 WHIP and 424 Ks to 134 BBs.

Those are incredible numbers but the Twins haven't given him a shot at all. It's not like the Twins are contending and can't give Slama a shot. They know what Jeff Gray is already: a below average relief pitcher. Why not find out if Slama can be anything better. It's not like the Twins have ever turned away a pitcher because of bad stuff (see: every pitcher in their rotation during the last decade other than Santana and Liriano).
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          From my perch here in KC, my perception of the Twins is that they've been hit by an almost perfect storm of injuries and player departures, combined with a perhaps slight weakening of their farm system. It doesn't help that at the same moment in time, the Royals have somehow, seemingly decided at last to pick themselves up and stop being quite the doormat they've been for the past decade.
          Aaaandddd.... as soon as I post that, the Royals decide to not just get swept at home by the Cardinals but to get blown out three times in a row. Sigh.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            From the other thread:

The dude didn't give up a single hit in the majors last year (only 2.1 IP) so I'm going to assume you are talking about 2010? Either way, he has pitched a total of 6 relief innings in the majors, which is not even close to a big enough sample size to make a call one way or the other. Meanwhile Jeff Gray has pitched 30 innings this year at 4.40 ERA and 1.46 WHIP (yikes). Maybe Slama's stuff isn't that great but the Twins have not even given him a shot at excelling in the majors. He has a CAREER minor league ERA of 1.95 in 308 IP, with a 1.07 WHIP and 424 Ks to 134 BBs.

Those are incredible numbers but the Twins haven't given him a shot at all. It's not like the Twins are contending and can't give Slama a shot. They know what Jeff Gray is already: a below average relief pitcher. Why not find out if Slama can be anything better. It's not like the Twins have ever turned away a pitcher because of bad stuff (see: every pitcher in their rotation during the last decade other than Santana and Liriano).
            Like I said in the other thread,Slama was hit by a line drive last week and broke a bone in his leg.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Like I said in the other thread,Slama was hit by a line drive last week and broke a bone in his leg.
              Yes I read that. I fail to see how that stopped them from bringing him up before that. But thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                Aaaandddd.... as soon as I post that, the Royals decide to not just get swept at home by the Cardinals but to get blown out three times in a row. Sigh.
                Take it to the Royals thread!

Comment

From the other thread:

Yeah I was thinking of 2010; I agree that his numbers have been impressive and he probably did deserve a call up. I just wanted to mention why I think he wasn't called up and that I don't think he would be the savior to the Twins. Gray and Burnett suck, I'm not sure on if they have options available or what the deal is on the decision to keep them with the big club over Slama, but again I'm don't think Slama is the savior. But I didn't think Dickey would amount to anything nor did I think Humber would become more then a middle relief guy.

Comment

Savior? No relief pitcher will ever be a savior for a team that is bad as the Twins. I just think he could be an above average MLB reliever. I could be wrong but he should at least get a shot. (As soon as his leg heals, thanks bigticket.)

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      Yeah I was thinking of 2010; I agree that his numbers have been impressive and he probably did deserve a call up. I just wanted to mention why I think he wasn't called up and that I don't think he would be the savior to the Twins. Gray and Burnett suck.
                      No argument on Gray,but Burnett has a 2.00 ERA in 30 appearances

Comment

Twins are on a five game winning streak - I guess pigs can fly ! Verlander will put an end to that today. It's fun to see Willingham and Plouffe knock a few out of the park. How long has it been since the Twins have had that much right-handed power ? Probably Killebrew and Allison.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Twins are on a five game winning streak - I guess pigs can fly ! Verlander will put an end to that today. It's fun to see Willingham and Plouffe knock a few out of the park. How long has it been since the Twins have had that much right-handed power ? Probably Killebrew and Allison.
                          Agreed! I was up there over the weekend for the Royals series (my first games at Target Field!) and watching those two was fun. Mauer is playing phenomenally as well. And with the way that ballpark is designed, right handed pull hitters are what the Twins need to succeed.

Comment

Agreed! I was up there over the weekend for the Royals series (my first games at Target Field!) and watching those two was fun. Mauer is playing phenomenally as well. And with the way that ballpark is designed, right handed pull hitters are what the Twins need to succeed.
                            So forget moneyball this is more how many right pull hitters can we get type direction this team needs to go.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                            X