You can have all the wins ya want but ya aint winning in Vermillion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: You can have all the wins ya want but ya aint winning in Vermillion

Not winning in Vermillion basically just cost your team a shot at the conference title and if your fanbase truley doesn't care about winning the game than you will have the Yotes spoil alot of what you are trying to accomplish over the years. If Nagy wants to downplay the importance of the game that is fine but the Yotes aren't going away and if the Jacks just treat it as a normal game they will probably lose more than not. Some games you have to step up your game to win. When Duke plays UNC they know they need to step up their game on that occasion. The Jacks would not win 90% of the games they played in Vermillion because they would never play in front of a crowd like they would get when they play at a place like UMKC. The Coyotes had plenty of energy left for the NDSU game and actually played very well for the most part. NDSU won because they played a great road game. Sorry to be a bit too rational in a smack thread.

When the media and fans talk about the USD upset over SDSU they are forgetting one major factor that played out in that game. What other team is going to be able to have the home court advantage against a particular team improve against one team as much as the home court advantage improved for the Yotes when they played SDSU. You can go into all the other teams gyms in the Summit and the environment isn't going to much different than it usually is. When the Jacks and Yotes play each other the home team is going to get a major boost from the crowd. There is nothing that will ever realistically be able to change that. The Yotes are always going to play their best against the Jacks when they are in Vermillion because the atmosphere is just a totally different than any other game. The shooting environment has been fairly mentioned as it probably played a small role but the Jacks were going to need to play better than a usual game to win even against a USD team that is at the bottom of the Summit. Basketball is an energy game and many intangibles can overcome a talent gap which is exactly what happened in the game in Vermillion. Don't critisize your team too badly because the Yotes had alot more to do with you losing than the Jacks did themselves.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
      Not winning in Vermillion basically just cost your team a shot at the conference title and if your fanbase truley doesn't care about winning the game than you will have the Yotes spoil alot of what you are trying to accomplish over the years. If Nagy wants to downplay the importance of the game that is fine but the Yotes aren't going away and if the Jacks just treat it as a normal game they will probably lose more than not. Some games you have to step up your game to win. When Duke plays UNC they know they need to step up their game on that occasion. The Jacks would not win 90% of the games they played in Vermillion because they would never play in front of a crowd like they would get when they play at a place like UMKC. The Coyotes had plenty of energy left for the NDSU game and actually played very well for the most part. NDSU won because they played a great road game. Sorry to be a bit too rational in a smack thread.

When the media and fans talk about the USD upset over SDSU they are forgetting one major factor that played out in that game. What other team is going to be able to have the home court advantage against a particular team improve against one team as much as the home court advantage improved for the Yotes when they played SDSU. You can go into all the other teams gyms in the Summit and the environment isn't going to much different than it usually is. When the Jacks and Yotes play each other the home team is going to get a major boost from the crowd. There is nothing that will ever realistically be able to change that. The Yotes are always going to play their best against the Jacks when they are in Vermillion because the atmosphere is just a totally different than any other game. The shooting environment has been fairly mentioned as it probably played a small role but the Jacks were going to need to play better than a usual game to win even against a USD team that is at the bottom of the Summit. Basketball is an energy game and many intangibles can overcome a talent gap which is exactly what happened in the game in Vermillion. Don't critisize your team too badly because the Yotes had alot more to do with you losing than the Jacks did themselves.
      Just to clarify: Are you saying this as a fair-weather Yote fan in February or the wannabe Jackrabbit fan of January who was ridiculing the Yotes?

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
        Just to clarify: Are you saying this as a fair-weather Yote fan in February or the wannabe Jackrabbit fan of January who was ridiculing the Yotes?
        I think maybe someone needs to get back on their meds.
        Last edited by bigticket1; 02-12-2012, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
          I think maybe someone needs to get back on their meds.
          Enough Said.
          Great moments are born from great opportunities.
          ---Herb Brooks

Comment

the way the yote fans talk its like they won by forty instead of just 4. don't matter a loss is a loss, the yotes did not control that game and one rebound, a two or three, and some free throws made, the Jacks could have pulled it out. letting a 20 something lead go to a one point lead is not dominating. on an off night like this and the Jacks still had a chance. brag and gloat for one night or your week. come next weekend no one is going to care about this game till they play it again next year.

Comment

USD deserves credit for developing and executing a game plan that gave them a chance to win. SDSU deserves criticism for not responding to that plan and for not executing when SDSU clearly has superior talent. SDSU deserves credit for getting back into the game and then again, criticism for not finishing it with a win. SDSU is a much better team than USD this year. One loss does not change that fact one bit. I've heard plenty of gloating from USD fans this weekend and that I can deal with. It seems a little misplaced but it is understandable.

Fact, SDSU is a much better team than USD right now. If you look at the body of work for both teams that conclusion is obvious. A victory over USD was unlikely to affect the outcome of the regular season. ORU is and was going to win the conference regardless. SDSU went into the game flat hoping USD would not rise to the occasion and expecting to win even if USD did play their best. Well, what some thought was impossible, clearly was not. So, yote fans, don't get carried away. Credit and fault in this situation are pretty equal. At the end of the day, season, year SDSU is at the top of the conference and USD is at the bottom, exactly where both of them were expected to be and belong.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Not winning in Vermillion basically just cost your team a shot at the conference title
                Please explain this nonesense???Please tell me your not that stupid
                BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

CF, congrats on the win. Glad your students were able to storm the court.

Hope you all have your televisions set to espn when our crowd rushes the court in Sioux Falls in March.

Comment

This is way too long to read, but I'll answer a couple of questions.

I agree with CF in that it's totally bogus to say that people wouldn't care if they won in Vermillion. That's basically like saying no one cares if SDSU wins at NDSU. Yeah right. It bothered me so much losing to NDSU over the past few years and I'm glad the monkey is finally off their back and hopefully they can keep it going on Wednesday. Beating USD is also good for regional recruiting and it's a must win to keep in state kids going to SDSU.

As for the crowd, I understand that State will see a different atmosphere down in Vermillion. It's good for them to play in front of hostile crowds because it gets them prepared for the tournament; however, they get that at NDSU as well (for example). I watched the USD/NDSU game last night and your crowd was pathetic. Extremely pathetic. That's everything that's wrong with USD because they only care about the rivalry and nothing else. Case in point, I had numerous USD grads tell me how they're so happy that USD beat SDSU and they don't care if USD wins another game the rest of the year. That can't happen if SDSU and USD want to do anything on a national level because they need continuous fan support. This is exactly why I can't see South Dakota being relevant (athletically) with 2 Div. I institutions in state. That is probably my #1 issue with USD, which I've stated many times over and over in the past.

USD played well and deserved to win that game, but right now USD wouldn't even make the Summit tournament if they were eligible. I'd be more worried about that and replacing 3 seniors on an already bad team. You lose your top two scorers and your leading rebounder next year. You have more important things to worry about and so does State, like winning the Summit tourney and getting to the Big Dance.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Congratulations to the Coyotes. They won because they played to win.

It is possible for the Coyotes to beat the Jackrabbits in Vermillion and still finish in last place every year.
                      It is possible for the Jackrabbits to lose in Vermillion and still finish in first place, although it won't happen this year.

Different fans have different priorities. I'll stick with the 'rabbits and keep looking at the big picture.
                      Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

I reviewed some of the rules of behavior for this message board and applied them to Coyotefan's recent posts.

No, it is not against the rules of this board to consistently misspell "truly" or "definitely" nor is it against the rules of this board to butcher common English usage and grammar rules. Trying to claim one has a college degree and then doing one's darndest to prove otherwise does not violate this board's regulations. (We all make mistakes in posting whether they are occasional spelling or grammar errors or occasional factual misstatements. But, do such mistakes rise to the level of a board rules violation when the mistakes are made consistently and frequently? Probably not.)

In the history of this board, people have been banned because they embark on a course of conduct intending to be nothing but a pain in the rear and they follow that course by posting with one purpose: to rile up the readers of this board who support SDSU and SDSU athletics (e.g. the Mavbots, lakesbison and, on several occasions, Coyotefan). Posters who have been banned but later permitted to post have almost no 'good will' built up with the moderators and those who have been placed in the temporary ban corner wearing the dunce hat (CF has been banned several times -- it may be refreshing for some to know that he brings his own hat) are given little leeway in posting privileges.

Posting needling messages is frowned upon but if one must post a needling message, smack is usually the place to put it. Even so, an improper post is not made acceptable because it was placed in smack. Posters have been told numerous times that smack has to have some redeeming quality, usually in the form of humor.

With the foregoing in mind, I now turn to Coyotefan's behavior since Thursday night. My conclusion: the posts are weak, dim-witted, poorly written and spelled, predictable posts which miss the point of smack or any other communication having any redeemable value. Coyotefan has made a clear record that he is incapable of producing quality smack. He has also made clear he has one purpose in posting on this board since Thursday: to needle.

Can a person be banned for tedium, dimwittedness in posting, and just simply wasting moderators’ and board members’ time? Probably.

Comment

Jack JD,

Sounds to me like you are probably more hurt in what actually happened on the court than what I said. I guess in future years you are going to have to get used to that more often. Since I have been watching the Yotes for the past two decades the series is just about 50-50. It doesn't stop there because the Yotes have plenty of conference titles in that timeframe as well. The Coyote Fans do need to step it up but that is also somewhat true of Jacks fans as well, especially when they were still in transition.
                          How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

Affirming the claims that the SDSU home game was USD's one-game-season and Superbowl was the attendence for their matchup with NDSU. This was a Saturday game against a familiar former-NCC foe on a non-holiday weekend with good weather. Then there is the fact they were coming off a Superbowl win which was witnessed by many of their "fans" that had not been to a game in years. Wouldn't you expect at least a decent crowd just 2 days later for NDSU?

"Official" attendence: 1,900. Things got back to normal pretty fast down in Vermillion!

They can have their Superbowl win. I'm very happy with our team's status (2nd place and 20 wins!) and our 8-game lead over USD! I also really like the roster we have coming back for next year - especially when compared to USD's. More good times ahead....

Comment

He is right. The USD loss cost us a conference championship...just like the Oakland and ORU losses did as well.

Of course losses to SDSU, NSDU (2), ORU (2), Oakland, Southern Utah (2), and Western Illinois (2) cost USD theirs.
                              -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Jack JD,

Sounds to me like you are probably more hurt in what actually happened on the court than what I said. I guess in future years you are going to have to get used to that more often. Since I have been watching the Yotes for the past two decades the series is just about 50-50. It doesn't stop there because the Yotes have plenty of conference titles in that timeframe as well. The Coyote Fans do need to step it up but that is also somewhat true of Jacks fans as well, especially when they were still in transition.

*Must spread negative rep before giving it to Coyote_Fan again
                                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                                X