Stu's hate for state continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu's hate for state continues

How Stu is even a journalist, I have no idea. I guess the Argus was desperate when they needed a sports editor. Stu do us all a favor and retire please.

Comment

Originally posted by SDHoops View Post
      How Stu is even a journalist, I have no idea. I guess the Argus was desperate when they needed a sports editor. Stu do us all a favor and retire please.
      From all reports Stu was a pretty good college reporter at Michigan State, was co-author of Behind the Green Curtain: The Sacrifice of Ethics and Academics in Michigan State Football's Rise to National Prominence; which I think helped him land the job.

I'll defend Stu in this, he is not from South Dakota, but I think he is one of those guys who gets off on writing "controversial" articles, just look at the book he wrote. I think the reason he does it more about SDSU then USD (and he has done a few anti-USD things) is that SDSU has more of a following. He has written numerous controversial high school articles, and other things.

I think where Stu gets in trouble, he gets murkey whether he wants to be a columnist or a reporter. Now it is all right if you want to do both, but don't go and report on an issue and gain access because you are a reporter and then right an columnist view on what you were reporting about. It seems like he has his opinion on much of the matter before he does any reporting and just takes the quotes or observations and twist them to fit his article.

As far as his twitter account I really don't give a cr#p about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
        I'll give you opinionated. Super-edgy? The edge of wuss-cliff maybe.
        I think he thinks he's edgy.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
          The Sacrifice of Ethics and Academics in Michigan State Football's Rise to National Prominence;
          Michigan state has risen to national prominence? Guess I missed that one.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Stu is a very talented journalist (SDSU journalism professor here). He just likes to get this kind of reaction from SDSU fans. Stirring the pot is his thing. I worked with Stu when he first came to the Argus. He's good. Just ignore the stuff you don't like. Does anybody here really think it means anything when Stu tweaks us with a Tweet? In the grand scheme, it means nothing. By reacting, you're doing exactly what he wants. How is our coverage in the Argus? Pretty good. OK, then.

joeboo's right. Who gives a crap what Stu says?
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              Just ignore the stuff you don't like.
              Well nobody would ever read his stuff if thats the case. Because I can't think of anything of his I have read that I did like. I guess I would have to disagree I don't think he is very good, I don't really care for his style of journalism. But that is just my opinion.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

Stu is a very talented journalist (SDSU journalism professor here)
                I'm not questioning your judgment--just your awareness of his his body of work.

I've read some good pieces by Stu Whitney, but I've also read some real stinkers---things that were either bad commentary or worse journalism (one example that sticks in my mind is his grousing about Percy Harvin's treatment of him at this past summer's Sanford Legends clinic).

Stu can be good when he wants to be, and if that's what you mean by 'talented', I agree. But his work? I don't buy the 'button pushing' angle. I think he genuinely dislikes Stig and Nagy and a few other people, teams, and institutions, and he's reached the point in his career where he no longer has the self-discipline to keep those feelings in check or he figures that he's attained such a standing that he can freely vent those feelings.

I mean if Stu wanted to tweak SDSU fans, he could've ragged on AJ & the women's team for much of last season, and especially after their abysmal performance against Cincinnati, but he didn't and that's because he respects AJ. For instance, he didn't get on his soapbox about the Mellum thing, and I think TV was more upset with how that played out than Stu was.

Comment

I agree with Zoo on this.

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                  I'm not questioning your judgment--just your awareness of his his body of work.
                  ....Stu can be good when he wants to be, and if that's what you mean by 'talented', I agree. But his work? I don't buy the 'button pushing' angle. I think he genuinely dislikes Stig and Nagy and a few other people, teams, and institutions, and he's reached the point in his career where he no longer has the self-discipline to keep those feelings in check or he figures that he's attained such a standing that he can freely vent those feelings.....
                  I mean, what is there to like about either Nagy or Stig. They are men of great personal faith and character. They are men that hold people accountable for actions, in spite of the fact that they are young men and doomed to make bad decisions on occassion. They are family men. They are community men. They are institution men.

I realize they both have flaws - they don't walk on water. However, do they simply possess something that our dear Stu doesn't? Integrity? Character? A heart? A soul.....

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
                    I agree with Zoo on this.

I mean, what is there to like about either Nagy or Stig. They are men of great personal faith and character. They are men that hold people accountable for actions, in spite of the fact that they are young men and doomed to make bad decisions on occassion. They are family men. They are community men. They are institution men.

I realize they both have flaws - they don't walk on water. However, do they simply possess something that our dear Stu doesn't? Integrity? Character? A heart? A soul.....
                    I think the "hate" for Nagy and Stig is the type of people they are, they aren't like Stu. They aren't great interviews, they generally do very little when it comes to the media, when is the last time Nagy sat down with Stu? He might do 2 sit down interviews for Terry a year, generally one before the season and one after the season. Stu maybe a little more but not much more. And though I'm somewhat young, if anything the two are more open now then they were 5-10-15 years ago. Ed was on Stu's doorstep every chance he got, he showed up for those Argus Web videos and made comments every time Stu called.

I'm not defending Stu by any means, I'm just saying that when it comes to media pieces there are two sides of the coin. And I think the petty shots Stu makes at Nagy and Stig are unprofessional and dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Michigan state has risen to national prominence? Guess I missed that one.
                      Their football team is ranked 11th in the AP poll and will play for the Big 10 Championship this weekend. Their basketball team is down a little this year but they have arguably one of the top two or three coaches in the country and have been salty in the tournament for a long time, and won the national title in 2000. That's pretty prominent.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                        Their football team is ranked 11th in the AP poll and will play for the Big 10 Championship this weekend. Their basketball team is down a little this year but they have arguably one of the top two or three coaches in the country and have been salty in the tournament for a long time, and won the national title in 2000. That's pretty prominent.

Being ranked outside the top 10 doesn't mean prominent to me. Winning a ncaa title in basketball 10 years ago is good but that doesn't help football which the story was apperently about.

I would guess they haven't won very many confrence championships in football since I have been a live. 30 years. Maybe I am wrong but I would not consider 1 good year as being relevent or prominent.

Comment

'National prominence' is a relative thing.

The Big Ten were originally Michigan, Ohio State, Indiana, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois, the University of Chicago, Minnesota and Iowa. Michigan State was added to the Big Ten in 1950 (the only addition between 1912 and 1990).

In fact Michigan State considered joining the NCC in 1921, per ex-NDSU SID George Ellis.

They certainly have a higher profile than they had before.

Comment

Izzo has kept the basketball team pretty free from controversy and kids in the news for violations of the law. Dantonio came in with some problem children in the mix and thanks to a fight with a college fraternity a year or two ago has cleaned it up.Except for some DWI's you didn't hear much about any problems this year. He's cleaning it up, thats why all those teams from the other MVFC teams have running backs killing us.

Comment

I can't blame people for getting annoyed. Just keep it in context. My goal is to convince people that a few snarky lines from Stu here and there really don't amount to much of anything, particularly considering the extent of coverage SDSU gets in the Argus Leader.

I suggest not getting too worked up over this kind of meaningless stuff. Life is too short.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I can't blame people for getting annoyed. Just keep it in context. My goal is to convince people that a few snarky lines from Stu here and there really don't amount to much of anything, particularly considering the extent of coverage SDSU gets in the Argus Leader.

I suggest not getting too worked up over this kind of meaningless stuff. Life is too short.
                                I agree totally with this post and I at one time was driven up the wall by Stu's comments. Stu has to be laughing when he reads this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                X