Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stu's hate for state continues

Originally posted by goon View Post
    Michigan state has risen to national prominence? Guess I missed that one.

You did. The book was written in the early-mid 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
      However, do they simply possess something that our dear Stu doesn't? Integrity? Character? A heart? A soul.....
      So you are saying Stu is a character from the Wizard of Oz? Sounds about right...his new nickname shall be: The Tin Man of 605
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Most papers in Metro areas have a guy like Stu in the sports dept. who's job it is to create some controversy and discussion. The beat writers are not going to do it as they need to maintain relationships with the teams and schools they cover. Stu is doing exactly what he set out to do and that is create discussion. Ignore him...

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          I can't blame people for getting annoyed. Just keep it in context. My goal is to convince people that a few snarky lines from Stu here and there really don't amount to much of anything, particularly considering the extent of coverage SDSU gets in the Argus Leader.

I suggest not getting too worked up over this kind of meaningless stuff. Life is too short.
          If you were making snarky stew what would you put in it? I'll start with a pinch of crassness.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            If you were making snarky stew what would you put in it? I'll start with a pinch of crassness.
            Obviously, the meat in this snarky "stu" would be donkey.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

It's a good thing you are making a Stu stew - humble pie certainly isn't an option.
              Last edited by bigticket1; 12-01-2011, 07:46 AM.

Comment

I can't blame people for getting annoyed. Just keep it in context. My goal is to convince people that a few snarky lines from Stu here and there really don't amount to much of anything, particularly considering the extent of coverage SDSU gets in the Argus Leader.

I suggest not getting too worked up over this kind of meaningless stuff. Life is too short.
                I find that replying to snark with snark is generally the most effective--if not the most satisfying--method, personally . . .

And I'm still funnier than Stu.

I'm thinking of changing my .sig line to that . . . (without the "still," perhaps . . .)

(The double-meaning of the phrase "I'm funnier than Stu" appeals strongly to my generally quite warped sense of ironic humor, actually . . . )
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Stu is a very talented journalist (SDSU journalism professor here). He just likes to get this kind of reaction from SDSU fans. Stirring the pot is his thing. I worked with Stu when he first came to the Argus. He's good. Just ignore the stuff you don't like. Does anybody here really think it means anything when Stu tweaks us with a Tweet? In the grand scheme, it means nothing. By reacting, you're doing exactly what he wants. How is our coverage in the Argus? Pretty good. OK, then.

joeboo's right. Who gives a crap what Stu says?
                  Stu does occasionally have a good feature where he does show some chops. But there is so many things he does where it really isn't about the story but rather about him trying to impress with "knowledge" and his snarky humor.

It's kind of like mining for gold. You have to sift through a lot of his dirt to find those nuggets. For me, I'm sick of it and just ignore his stuff. He's established himself as a State-hater with an over-inflated ego and the headsize and waistline to match.

You are right about taking the good with the bad at a newspaper. The Argus does have a number of very talented writers. Terry is outstanding and will do great things in the business. Isn't it ironic that arguably the Sports Editor shows his talent less than anyone on staff? It is for me. Maybe he could benefit from a strong editor. I will give him credit for having talented writers on staff. Hiring well is an artform!

SUPERBUNNY
                  MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

A decent analogy, but you just compared Stu's writing to gold. I'd say it's more like mining pennies: the end result isn't worth looking through all of the ****.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                    X