Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Big Win for USD

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Jacks beat Missouri-Rolla 49-0 in 1972. For various odd reasons, I remember the game (it was the 2nd SDSU football game I attended).
    I wasn't picking a fight - I just wanted to remind Jacks fans to be careful when throwing stones at glass houses. (Oh My God! I'm becoming a Cyote apologist! J/K) I also needed to refresh my memory! Go Big! Go Blue!! Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Understood, MaddogJack. I didn't mean to imply anything...was just remembering the game from 1972 (people should wonder why the heck someone would remember a game from 1972!).

Comment

Understood, MaddogJack. I didn't mean to imply anything...was just remembering the game from 1972 (people should wonder why the heck someone would remember a game from 1972!).
        Ear muffs kids! I assume you remembered this date and score because this was the first time you got laid! Perhaps I am wrong.
        LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
          Ear muffs kids! I assume you remembered this date and score because this was the first time you got laid! Perhaps I am wrong.
          Very very classy 2002Jack. I am now understanding why there is such grave concern regarding the behavior at games by USD fans. SDSU fans don't...............oh wait, nevermind.

Comment

Nope. Nothing at all like that 2002Jack. Has to do with writing the "Bum", the game-day program and studying up on Missouri-Rolla. Pretty innocent stuff. (Going to have to go with my friend yoteforever on this one.) [Edit: Well, let's scale that back a bit to begrudgingly acknowledging, but only momentarily, the basis for yoteforever's jab. ]

Comment

Nope. Nothing at all like that 2002Jack. Has to do with writing the "Bum", the game-day program and studying up on Missouri-Rolla. Pretty innocent stuff. (Going to have to go with my friend yoteforever on this one.) [Edit: Well, let's scale that back a bit to begrudgingly acknowledging, but only momentarily, the basis for yoteforever's jab. ]
              Hurt that bad, huh? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                Very very classy 2002Jack. I am now understanding why there is such grave concern regarding the behavior at games by USD fans. SDSU fans don't...............oh wait, nevermind.
                You have put your finger on the whole problem with those who were desperate to ignite the "rivalry" nonsense. SDSU fans do. Because USD fans do. Because SDSU fans do. Because (lather, rinse, repeat). Because they're people. And that's how people behave.

I think there was a significant segment of the SDSU fandom who were not eager to re-start the USD rivalry--not so much because of what USD fans would or wouldn't do, but what we knew it would bring out in our own fellow SDSU fans. It was kind of nice for those few years for some of us to not have to restrain (too much, anyway) or apologize for our own collection of jerks and a-holes. For some though, this was "being afraid to play USD" or some such juvenile nonsense.

It's why over the course of each school year, there are always several moments where I seriously consider shutting down this smack section. But then I realize if I did that, the natural and universal human urge to be jerks would just spill over into the rest of the site (more than it already does, that is). So I keep the Smack section open, and try to more or less gently shepherd people's less adult blatherings hither.

"You can't stop 'em, you can only hope to contain 'em."
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                  You have put your finger on the whole problem with those who were desperate to ignite the "rivalry" nonsense. SDSU fans do. Because USD fans do. Because SDSU fans do. Because (lather, rinse, repeat). Because they're people. And that's how people behave.

I think there was a significant segment of the SDSU fandom who were not eager to re-start the USD rivalry--not so much because of what USD fans would or wouldn't do, but what we knew it would bring out in our own fellow SDSU fans. It was kind of nice for those few years for some of us to not have to restrain (too much, anyway) or apologize for our own collection of jerks and a-holes. For some though, this was "being afraid to play USD" or some such juvenile nonsense.

It's why over the course of each school year, there are always several moments where I seriously consider shutting down this smack section. But then I realize if I did that, the natural and universal human urge to be jerks would just spill over into the rest of the site (more than it already does, that is). So I keep the Smack section open, and try to more or less gently shepherd people's less adult blatherings hither

"You can't stop 'em, you can only hope to contain 'em."
                  All i can say is..........Hither on

Comment

Renewal of rivalry= Increased gate receipts.

Comment

Filbert, one consolation. Our smack is usually not as personal or profane as the chatter on the football string of the forum of a certain campus up north. Even when they win.
                      But I worry: Is this observation about our smack in and of itself smack? Will it invite invective from North and South?

Comment

Y'all are being so nice in this smack thread. Feels weird.

Go Yotes.
                        Hate State.

I feel better now.

Comment

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
                          Filbert, one consolation. Our smack is usually not as personal or profane as the chatter on the football string of the forum of a certain campus up north. Even when they win.
                          But I worry: Is this observation about our smack in and of itself smack? Will it invite invective from North and South?
                          I believe the term for smack about smack would be "meta-smack."
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by HadleyCoyote View Post
                            Y'all are being so nice in this smack thread. Feels weird.

Go Yotes.
                            Hate State.

I feel better now.
                            Stew The Chew!
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Stew The Chew!
                              foo the goo

Comment

Originally posted by SturgisJeff View Post
                                foo the goo
                                And augie too.
                                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                                X