UND is Ranked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UND is Ranked?

Polls are for schmucks and suckers anyways. If you put much stock in an inherently flawed process like a fan, coaches or media poll you get what you deserve. There is a large concentration of FCS schools in the Northeast portion of this country where no one on campus has set foot in the Dakotas much less know there are now 4 FCS schools. What about the selection committee for the playoffs? You can bet what you are wearing today that they have a bias as well. Just the way the world works. Doesn't mean you can't be critical of the process and ask that it improve. I don't recommend losing any sleep over it.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      Nope.

For instance, a CEO with horrible spelling routinely sends out communiques that are riddled with spelling errors.

Who's at fault here? Is it just the CEO? Or is it also the secretary/admin assistant/factotum that doesn't bother to check his spelling?

You want to blame the coaches for not knowing how to differentiate all 120 different FCS schools, fine, but uncritical acceptance of a ballot with "North Dakota" on it is (IMO) arguably more censurable.

The coaches are not responsible for the production of a credible poll, in fact assembling the poll probably occupies no more than a half an hour of a typical coach's time.

On the other hand, the NCAA is responsible for compiling an accurate gauge of coach opinions and that includes, for crying out loud, clarifying what they meant when what they typed is ambiguous.
      I get your point. If it's the coach or the SID doing it, I still think it's their responsibility to do it right. If they're not, then they shouldn't vote.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        Polls are for schmucks and suckers anyways. If you put much stock in an inherently flawed process like a fan, coaches or media poll you get what you deserve. There is a large concentration of FCS schools in the Northeast portion of this country where no one on campus has set foot in the Dakotas much less know there are now 4 FCS schools. What about the selection committee for the playoffs? You can bet what you are wearing today that they have a bias as well. Just the way the world works. Doesn't mean you can't be critical of the process and ask that it improve. I don't recommend losing any sleep over it.
        But, the selection committee does work off of those polls. Of course we should think it is funny because it is the North Dakota Schools after all.
        With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

[QUOTE=zooropa;184733
          3) And here's a thought: Why don't you not brag about how much you know, and actually demonstrate it.[/QUOTE]

You asked me if I knew all 120 FCS schools, I answered. Don't ask questions if you don't want answers. Did you literally want me to start typing the names of FCS schools?

My point was it isn't that difficult of a task. We've all grown up with all these schools, watched their names skitter across the ESPN ticker for years, a coach who is at that level should have a working knowledge of his peers for the most part. I know what my competition is doing all the time. Why? Because I'm paid to. Like I said if you don't show the effort, don't vote, pretty simple.And don't throw all this junk at me about thankless, 70 hour work weeks, more than enough of us do that and hardly get paid that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
            But, the selection committee does work off of those polls. Of course we should think it is funny because it is the North Dakota Schools after all.
            I don't think its funny and neither do the MVFC and other Midwest conference AD's. It is unfortunately a fact, there is a Northeast bias in the ranks of the FCS. Fortunately, I think last years playoff selections suggest that there is more awareness of the "Western Schools" as it pertains to that selection committee. Doesn't mean there is more awareness in general, however.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              I get your point. If it's the coach or the SID doing it, I still think it's their responsibility to do it right. If they're not, then they shouldn't vote.
              Bad data discredits the poll. It is in the interests of the poll administrators to use the best data possible. Data integrity is primarily their responsibility, not that of the coaches.

Comment

On the other hand, the NCAA is responsible for compiling an accurate gauge of coach opinions and that includes, for crying out loud, clarifying what they meant when what they typed is ambiguous.
                I can kind of accept that. The full name of the institution should be used by the voter and if the coach doesn't do that, it will be disregarded. Pretty simple.

Comment

"I don't think its funny and neither do the MVFC and other Midwest conference AD's. It is unfortunately a fact, there is a Northeast bias in the ranks of the FCS. Fortunately, I think last years playoff selections suggest that there is more awareness of the "Western Schools" as it pertains to that selection committee. Doesn't mean there is more awareness in general, however."-JackMD

But you just said polls were for schmucks or suckers....which is it? I was just trying to add a little light heartedness. We all know if it was "South Dakota", we would all be up in arms.

Comment

Bad data discredits the poll. It is in the interests of the poll administrators to use the best data possible. Data integrity is primarily their responsibility, not that of the coaches.
                    No. $hit. And that's a totally different issue.

When Catrabbit was talking about 'lazy', he wasn't calling the coaches, in general, lazy. He was saying that they were being lazy with their top 25 picks. You continue to twist and turn this into what you want. Like I said, you're nitpicking and looking for something to argue.
                    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                      No. $hit. And that's a totally different issue.
                      Right.

It's actually the primary issue here.

It's not as much fun as playing the 'woe is me' minority card, but it's the primary issue here. Bad data that is not recognized as such is indicative of a flawed process producing an inaccurate result. Who cares whether the data is input letter perfect, the administrators are apparently incapable of recognizing any but the most egregious errors (e.g. casting a vote for the University of Okoboji).

I mean we can all sit around and say "us poor people in flyover country get no respect", but that's in no way shape or form a cogent criticism of the process. It's just more of the same geographical/demographic bellyaching that drives me nuts. Of course dang few people have heard of SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND. Why on EARTH should they have? These are two small states that are well off the beaten track. What more do you expect?

Comment

Aren't we suppose to smack other teams in the smack section?
                        If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple of payments.
                        - Steven Wright

Comment

Right.

It's actually the primary issue here.

It's not as much fun as playing the 'woe is me' minority card, but it's the primary issue here. Bad data that is not recognized as such is indicative of a flawed process producing an inaccurate result. Who cares whether the data is input letter perfect, the administrators are apparently incapable of recognizing any but the most egregious errors (e.g. casting a vote for the University of Okoboji).

I mean we can all sit around and say "us poor people in flyover country get no respect", but that's in no way shape or form a cogent criticism of the process. It's just more of the same geographical/demographic bellyaching that drives me nuts. Of course dang few people have heard of SDSU/USD/NDSU/UND. Why on EARTH should they have? These are two small states that are well off the beaten track. What more do you expect?

Dude. We get it. I seriously understand what you're saying and I agree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
                            "I don't think its funny and neither do the MVFC and other Midwest conference AD's. It is unfortunately a fact, there is a Northeast bias in the ranks of the FCS. Fortunately, I think last years playoff selections suggest that there is more awareness of the "Western Schools" as it pertains to that selection committee. Doesn't mean there is more awareness in general, however."-JackMD

But you just said polls were for schmucks or suckers....which is it? I was just trying to add a little light heartedness. We all know if it was "South Dakota", we would all be up in arms.
                            Sometimes I'm a schmuck and sometimes I'm a sucker, sometimes I'm both. I appreciate your comments and wasn't being critical of your viewpoint just offering another. It is clearly ridiculous that something published nationally would include mistakes like these polls do. Ridiculous but still understandable, not sure that is possible but it seems to be fact.

Comment

I like how everyone always wants to get the last word in, in arguments like these.

#popcorn.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by Kemo View Post
                                Aren't we suppose to smack other teams in the smack section?
                                That was the actual point of the thread......thanks for noticing.....

Comment

Working...
                                X