UND is Ranked?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND is Ranked?

They beat Drake and Black Hills State and they are ranked? WTF? It's official the FCS coaches poll is a joke!

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=13500
    With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Re: UND is Ranked?

Rankings in the early part of the season are no where to be found when it's playoff time. Of course UND is not eligible so it has even less meaning.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
      They beat Drake and Black Hills State and they are ranked? WTF? It's official the FCS coaches poll is a joke!

http://www.fightingsioux.com/ViewArt...B_OEM_ID=13500
      I've thought this for a long time.
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The SID from UND and Jeff Kolpack were going at it last week when the rankings came out. I have no clue how they're ranked. The coach's poll seems to be the least informed and you'd think otherwise.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
          The SID from UND and Jeff Kolpack were going at it last week when the rankings came out. I have no clue how they're ranked. The coach's poll seems to be the least informed and you'd think otherwise.
          Just found out about this last night, TV tells me that this has been an issue for the past week in Fargo.

Frankly, it makes the coaches poll administrators look kind of inept, as opposed to the coaches.

Like say the coach writes "North Dakota" on the form, doesn't it behoove the administration to contact the coach and say, "This is ambiguous, do you mean UND or NDSU?"

Comment

It's lazy on part of the coaches is what it is. I believe NDSU should be up about 5 places........

Comment

It's lazy on part of the coaches is what it is. I believe NDSU should be up about 5 places........
              I agree totally, these guys that put in 70+hour work weeks are *clearly* lazy. Because they haven't taken time to learn the names of all 120 FCS schools, they're lazy.

Can *you* name all 120 FCS schools?

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                I agree totally, these guys that put in 70+hour work weeks are *clearly* lazy. Because they haven't taken time to learn the names of all 120 FCS schools, they're lazy.

O lay off him you know what he meant. You're nitpicking; however, if they're going to vote on a poll that the media takes seriously, they should do a much better job.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  You're nitpicking
                  Nope.

For instance, a CEO with horrible spelling routinely sends out communiques that are riddled with spelling errors.

Who's at fault here? Is it just the CEO? Or is it also the secretary/admin assistant/factotum that doesn't bother to check his spelling?

You want to blame the coaches for not knowing how to differentiate all 120 different FCS schools, fine, but uncritical acceptance of a ballot with "North Dakota" on it is (IMO) arguably more censurable.

The coaches are not responsible for the production of a credible poll, in fact assembling the poll probably occupies no more than a half an hour of a typical coach's time.

On the other hand, the NCAA is responsible for compiling an accurate gauge of coach opinions and that includes, for crying out loud, clarifying what they meant when what they typed is ambiguous.

Comment

Shocking, but I am actually with Zooropa on this one.

The coaches job is to coach their team. Why should some coach on the east coast be concerned with what North Dakota or North Dakota state are doing unless they are on his team's schedule? I think we should expect the coaches poll to be the least informed.
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post

Oh boohoo...who don't work 70 hours a week? My email goes off on my droid every 20 minutes when I am off, and when not doing that I am usually helping my wife's business. But you are right next time something is done as a mistake at work that affects someone I will say "But...but i work these hours, ya' see..." And yes I know almost all 120 FCS schools most of their mascots and conferences and the FBS schools and their mascots and conferences, and the NFL teams and their mascots, and the MLB teams and their mascots, you might get me on hockey. It had nothing to do with the coaches knowing or not knowing the names, they cast their ballots very casually and just put "North Dakota", either cast it correctly or don't vote. And you are telling me these coaches that are part of the FCS don't even know the teams in it?

coach.jpg

Comment

I'll just echo what I said earlier: It's the coaches job to coach the team. His salary and compensation do not depend on voting in the coaches poll. Why, then, would a coach put more than 3 seconds of thought into it.
                        Originally posted by JackFan96
                        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

next time something is done as a mistake at work that affects someone
                          1) You said they were LAZY. I can't reconcile 70 hour work weeks with 'laziness'; maybe you can. I don't care.

2) In what way shape or form is filling out a ballot even remotely related to the task of winning games and scouting high school talent. At best this is the equivalent of filling out your fantasy football lineup.

3) And here's a thought: Why don't you not brag about how much you know, and actually demonstrate it.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                            Why should some coach on the east coast be concerned with what North Dakota or North Dakota state are doing
                            Or, shoot, be able to differentiate the two:

When you're a media rep AT a game, you have a responsibility to know what you're talking about (yes, I'm looking at you ESPN2 color commentator from Stanford with no qualifications), but a coach? I don't think so.

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              I'll just echo what I said earlier: It's the coaches job to coach the team. His salary and compensation do not depend on voting in the coaches poll. Why, then, would a coach put more than 3 seconds of thought into it.
                              I believe the SID's vote in place of the coaches for many of these. I seem to remember Stig mentioning that when asked about the coaches poll.
                              “Who's more foolish: the fool, or the fool who follows him?” - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Comment

Working...
                              X