USD "Keep it Classy" Campaign

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: South Dakota State at Youngstown State

I laugh at how many SDSU people think there was no rivalry or that South Dakota was not competitive therefor downplaying the importance of the rivalry. This is my response to that. When SDSU was defeating the Coyotes in much of the 90's and 2000's what did they do with it but nothing other than beating South Dakota plain and simple. The Jacks certainly weren't doing anything beyond that by simple beating South Dakota because the success was in no way, shape or form transferred to national success or even NCC success. Coyote fans had every reason in the world to not consider the Jacks rivals for most of the 70's and 80's because afterall when South Dakota was beating SDSU they were making deep runs on a national level and getting to championship games. Many Jacks fans say South Dakota just wants to follow what SDSU is doing. Well South Dakota's football program was certainly not following the example SDSU set. They were creating their own success that certainly wasn't a path being trailblazed by SDSU. The point is success comes and goes. I will be the first to admit that South Dakota's football program was in the dumps during the times SDSU was winning in the overall series. Beating the Coyotes was no big deal because anyone with a decent program did. Point is when South Dakota is good they usually do something with the opportunity something SDSU has never done.

The Jacks had to have a great run of success just to pull with 50-48 but there were plenty of years in there where SDSU didn't belong on the same field as South Dakota. Gosh I hate to bring up too many facts into a smack thread. Those facts might require blue colored sun glasses to see beyond them.
    How Bout Them Yotes

Comment

• Re: USD "Keep it Classy" Campaign

Originally posted by NoVaJack View Post
      Do consecutive lengthy posts in a smack section constitute self-smack? Did YF just smack himself?
      I thought about that myself NOVA. But for future reference, please call me YFE (just kinda used to it)

Comment

Sorry to be rational here, but seriously. USD is a rival. A big rival. So is NDSU. It has been weird, frankly, to play most of our games in all sports without any opposing fans in any great numbers in attendance. The NDSU games are fun because so many Bison fans show. I would expect a lot of USD fans will come up for a game in Brookings. Do we have a rivalry? Well, let's see... Do lots of fans show up? Do people smack each other on a fan board? If the answer to those questions is "Yes," you're probably looking at a rivalry.

I'm sick, frankly, of looking backwards. I'm sick of reliving the move to D1 over and over again. Was USD's position then wrong? Did people say some stupid things? Well, time has certainly proven that SDSU had the better vision on this thing. But I'm ready to move on. USD is back in the picture. I think it could be fun... if everybody can just behave themselves.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
          Sorry to be rational here, but seriously. USD is a rival. A big rival. So is NDSU. It has been weird, frankly, to play most of our games in all sports without any opposing fans in any great numbers in attendance. The NDSU games are fun because so many Bison fans show. I would expect a lot of USD fans will come up for a game in Brookings. Do we have a rivalry? Well, let's see... Do lots of fans show up? Do people smack each other on a fan board? If the answer to those questions is "Yes," you're probably looking at a rivalry.

I'm sick, frankly, of looking backwards. I'm sick of reliving the move to D1 over and over again. Was USD's position then wrong? Did people say some stupid things? Well, time has certainly proven that SDSU had the better vision on this thing. But I'm ready to move on. USD is back in the picture. I think it could be fun... if everybody can just behave themselves.
          I agree, I never thought that NDSU would remain our lone rivalry game when we start playing USD again. There are too many connections between friends, family, and co-workers that have attended SDSU and USD that live in SD for that to happen. For out-of-state people, it may be different. I actually have some friends that view NDSU as our main rival and have little interest in USD or a game with them because they have been away for some time and have only an interest in our games on the schedule. Strange as it sounds, that is the truth. That will undoubtedly change, but it has been the case for some of them since they are not around graduates of both universities on a daily basis.

Additionally, I do have a few friends that attended NDSU so there is always some smack there. That game proved to be huge during the transition and no doubt will continue. One can have more than one rival, see KU vs. K-State and Mizzou, as an example. Or Texas vs. Texas A&M and Oklahoma, err, wait a second...
          "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
          "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Ignore the little school trolls

Comment

I guess I go by what game most fans go too. History says USD probably is, but since we ahve been D-1. NDSU is. Considering our largest crowd ever is with NDSU, that tells me enough fans from both teams cared to make it the largest attended game ever. If usd tops that again, which they might if they can get any fan support to show up it might be a new record. My guess is next year depending on how the teams do earlier in the year, most likely 15000 IMO.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote_Fan View Post
                I laugh at how many SDSU people think there was no rivalry or that South Dakota was not competitive therefor downplaying the importance of the rivalry. This is my response to that. When SDSU was defeating the Coyotes in much of the 90's and 2000's what did they do with it but nothing other than beating South Dakota plain and simple. The Jacks certainly weren't doing anything beyond that by simple beating South Dakota because the success was in no way, shape or form transferred to national success or even NCC success. Coyote fans had every reason in the world to not consider the Jacks rivals for most of the 70's and 80's because afterall when South Dakota was beating SDSU they were making deep runs on a national level and getting to championship games. Many Jacks fans say South Dakota just wants to follow what SDSU is doing. Well South Dakota's football program was certainly not following the example SDSU set. They were creating their own success that certainly wasn't a path being trailblazed by SDSU. The point is success comes and goes. I will be the first to admit that South Dakota's football program was in the dumps during the times SDSU was winning in the overall series. Beating the Coyotes was no big deal because anyone with a decent program did. Point is when South Dakota is good they usually do something with the opportunity something SDSU has never done.

The Jacks had to have a great run of success just to pull with 50-48 but there were plenty of years in there where SDSU didn't belong on the same field as South Dakota. Gosh I hate to bring up too many facts into a smack thread. Those facts might require blue colored sun glasses to see beyond them.

Wait a second...I thought you were a Jack fan now?
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

My sincere apologies for confusing you with Coyote Fan and others who have made it clear our future competition (SDSU vs. USD) IS the resumption of a rivalry. Of course it is. But my concern stemmed from your first statement: I think it is sooooo awesome that in your mind NDSU is your big rival now. The fact is that it is and has been a rivalry which led to the establishment of the Dakota Marker game, and will continue that way in the future. Thus the lengthy explanation of "why".

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                  My personal wishes for the future are that we have great games, a great atmosphere, and a great deal of respect for each other, and let the best team win. Then the state of South dakota wins.
                  Agreed (Fact). Great deal of respect for each other? Unlikely. (Smack).

Comment

I think this was very well done. Not exactly direct vandalism, but still funny.

Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

And the best part is.... whoever cuts it down can turn it in and get a $25 bounty! BONUS!!!
                      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Yeah, this isn't going to get ugly at all.
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                          First of all, I am not certain what you read in my post. I said I don't care about being your rivalry (and I don't), I just want the W (and I do). So how that gets translated into ME and my fellow USD fans "desperately" wanting to be your rival, I don't know. If you had ever read my posts from time ago, I personally wanted to play in the Big Sky, and if I could change that I would today.
                          Yeah, a flea-bitten troll in Coyote clothing. Obviously, you don't care at all about the "rivalry"! Your 596 post on here show it doean't mean a thing. Dude, we've all been to USD and Vermillion for games back in the day. We know why you want the hell out. It's okay.

I'm on record for being happy to fire the "rivalry" back up. Of course it's a rivalry. Anyone who says otherwise just makes no sense. Yes, I hope it is a kinder, gentler kind of a rivalry. But believe me, we are all looking forward to pounding the puppies again. It's something that's been missing in my life!

I echo Jacks#1fan and his comment thanking the Coyote folks for the promotion of the game next year. Pretty smart marketing from the school that has the School of Business! Brilliant!

Anyway, you can continue on with your posts, the lurking, the troll-like behavior. I could give two shakes. USD actually reminds me of the little "cleaner" fish that hang around sharks. Always dependant on the "provider" for a meal. We hope you have enjoyed the trip through transition on our coattails. We paved the path for you. Did the work and made it through despite the efforts of the poor Coyote fans that couldn't stand the thought of losing their big rival. Time to swim in the waters alone now.

Come get your smackdown next fall! We will be here waiting for you like a shark in the shallows!

Kindly, screw the U!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Everyone pretending not to care about the rivalry in a thread with 26 pages. Good one, everyone
                            Originally posted by JackFan96
                            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
                              Everyone pretending not to care about the rivalry in a thread with 26 pages. Good one, everyone
                              Oh I for one care about the rivalry and I will keep posting.

Comment

cyote.jpg

Well... that took longer than expected. ( saw this on Facebook...)
                                Last edited by slosho; 10-11-2011, 06:24 PM. Reason: typing error(spelling)

Comment

Working...
                                X