Moss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moss?

"The Tampa Bay Bucs had a scout at SDSU football practice Monday, which begs the
    question: What player is getting the most pro interest so far? Dale Moss,
    believe it or not. Yes, the converted basketball player from Brandon Valley
    impressed scouts last spring and is on the NFL radar five years after last
    playing football." from TV's Tuesday Tidbits.

Who was it that said Moss had no chance and shouldn't be taking time away from players that have worked hard for 4 years to play? Talent is talent, will it make a difference? Who knows but it is one more person the other teams "D" will have to worry about.

Re: Moss?

Originally posted by Rabbitden View Post
    "The Tampa Bay Bucs had a scout at SDSU football practice Monday, which begs the

Who was it that said Moss had no chance and shouldn't be taking time away from players that have worked hard for 4 years to play? Talent is talent, will it make a difference? Who knows but it is one more person the other teams "D" will have to worry about.
    Great post.
    "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
    "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

I think I know who it was, and everybody has a right to their own opinion. I for one, was pro-Dale on the team. He's athletic and emotional, something the team needs.(and I think he wants one more chance to try and beat NDSU before he leaves school, IMO) I'm starting to get pumped.
      With fans like this who needs enemas.....

Comment

Also believe that it was said by someone, who has a particular love for a certain player and would be afraid that Dale would take time away from this individual.

Comment

That's awesome! The more time pro scouts spend on campus, the better chance they may take an interest in other players as well.
          One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
            That's awesome! The more time pro scouts spend on campus, the better chance they may take an interest in other players as well.
            Are the players better off (not counting a Danny Batten type) using their degree from SDSU or trying to make the NFL meat market?

Pre season practice fodder is exciting, but is it best for their long term careers? Two of the greatest O lineman I've seen play - Mitch Erickson and Ryan McKnight didn't make it. If they can't, the NFL is special. Was Adam Timmerman really better than Mitch Erickson?

On the other hand it is exciting as all get out to have NFL scouts in Brookings. For sure.

My vote is the more pro scouts in Brookings, the better the athletes the Jacks can recruit.

Comment

Originally posted by Theee Catrabbit View Post
              I think I know who it was, and everybody has a right to their own opinion. I for one, was pro-Dale on the team. He's athletic and emotional, something the team needs.(and I think he wants one more chance to try and beat NDSU before he leaves school, IMO) I'm starting to get pumped.
              His swagger is what the basketball team is going to miss the most next year.
              Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Moss has the ability more then anyone else on the team, besides maybe Kool, who can be a hame changer. Seems like something this team needs. and a QB who can find him would help. Moss only makes the rest of the WR better just by being on the field.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Cool. I've been in the pro-Moss camp all along, too. I think it's great that he was willing to go out for another sport after using up his basketball eligibility. He's apparently having an impact, which is even better.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

Not to deal in dampers and you may be proven correct. But practice is practice, games is games...

Comment

I'm pro Dale Moss for the record. Was told by several people that if he had not verballed to SDSU for basketball before his senior year he could have gone Big-10/12 for football.

However just because pro-scouts are there doesn't mean he is going to be great. The pro's scout guys who have the ability to have a pro. You can have the best pitcher in South Dakota and if he doesn't clock 90 a pro scout won't look at him, you can have a so-so pitcher who touches 95+ and the pros will be there looking. Same with football if you have a great receiver who runs great routs and has great hands but if his verticle is small and his 40 speed is 4.6 he isn't going to get any pro looks. What Dale has is good speed, and a good vertical, plus a tall body with a long arms. Those translate to pro-potential, not a great receiver. If he can't run the right routs or go across the middle he won't help the team any.

Comment

The ENTIRE scouting process for the NFL is based on POTENTIAL. See 95% of Heisman trophy winners who never pan out in the NFL.

What Moss has is athletic ability. You can't teach athletic ability. You can teach a guy with athletic ability football specific skills, if he chooses to be coachable.

Will be interesting to see the kind of season Moss has and how he gets used.
                        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Others have noted that pro scouts are constantly on the lookout for athletes. SDSU basketball players from the past have attracted NFL scouts. When I was a freshman at SDSU, basketball star Lee Colburn was a senior. I worked for the sports information director and occasionally came into contact with pro scouts because they'd come to our office seeking information on athletes. My memory is a little foggy on which team but I think it was the Cowboys who were very interested in Colburn. Colburn had big hands, could jump, was tall, had decent speed...tools the football scouts noticed. Colburn, however, was drafted by the NBA.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dale Moss get in a game and be a sparkplug like he often was on the hardcourt. Guy like that can change a game in a hurry.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
                            Others have noted that pro scouts are constantly on the lookout for athletes. SDSU basketball players from the past have attracted NFL scouts. When I was a freshman at SDSU, basketball star Lee Colburn was a senior. I worked for the sports information director and occasionally came into contact with pro scouts because they'd come to our office seeking information on athletes. My memory is a little foggy on which team but I think it was the Cowboys who were very interested in Colburn. Colburn had big hands, could jump, was tall, had decent speed...tools the football scouts noticed. Colburn, however, was drafted by the NBA.

I'm looking forward to seeing Dale Moss get in a game and be a sparkplug like he often was on the hardcourt. Guy like that can change a game in a hurry.
                            I love those Lee Colburn stories. He must have been at least 7 years younger than me and did not live next door so I did not know him personally, though we both grew up in BT. I was either in the service or working in LA when Lee played for the Jacks. Based on media guides and stories I heard from others I believe Lee was truly one of the greatest gifted athletes at SDSU as is Dale Moss. No question they both could do well in most sports offered at SDSU. ie Tennis. I enjoyed Dale on the court and am anxious to see what he can do on the field. Unfortuntely there will be game videos galour by the time we play the NDSU Bison, so the surprise element will not be there in that game, but a good match for the Bison secondary that has been mentioned in the media up north.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              Will be interesting to see the kind of season Moss has and how he gets used.
                              I think it's not a coincidence that his last name is Moss. (Think Vikings, circa 1998).

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.
                              "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Working...
                              X