Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The board done broke!--Then done got upgradeificated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The board done broke!--Then done got upgradeificated!

Well, it always happens when you don't have time to deal with it, doesn't it?

Here's what happened:

SDSUFans' hosting provider upgraded a key component of a system which the board depends on, and sent out a notice saying to change the password on the database to maintain compatibility. I did that--no problem.

What I didn't bother to check is whether the new version of stuff (technical term, computers/technology) that the hosting provider was going to was compatible with the (actually rather obsolete) board software we were running at the time.

Now, I had been planning to upgrade this summer, anyway. I also had other stuff planned, including stuff (technical term, life/entertainment) this holiday weekend and into June.

So, here I am, literally three hours before the stuff (definition two) is set to begin, and stuff (definition one) bites me in the . . . stuff (definition three).

Panic time.

I quickly get my credit card out and buy the update for the board software and HEY! they have an "install option." Sweetness itself. Click that puppy! They do the upgrade, we have a working board, and my plans for stuff (definition two) are not disrupted.

Bonus, is that the board has only been upgraded to the kinda-new version of the board software. There's a newer, bigger, stronger, faster, more mighty and far more attractive to the opposite sex of board software version of the board software--that's the version I actually bought.

I don't actually know all the bells and whistles of what's in it, and stuff (definition two) prevents me from digging too deeply into that for the next couple of weeks. But I'm assured that all of the cool kids are doing it, and that it's still legal and that none of us will probably get into too much trouble, as long as our moms and dads don't find out.

Does it sound like I haven't had enough sleep?

Good.

Carry on.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: The board done broke!

sounds like some of us need to kick in some of our extra stuff to help you pay for some of your stuff that we enjoy

Comment

And what, perchance, would be the kick-in mechanism?
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        And what, perchance, would be the kick-in mechanism?

Some of us have been trying to organize an annual Filbert-a-thon to help defray costs of this..
        Thanks to Filbert and all administrators...

Comment

Filbert-a-thon? Interesting, hopefully not like the annual Phone-a-thon at State though. I don't need another phone call at dinner. A quick email with details might work though.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

I'm going to go ahead and tell the vBulletin guy finish the upgrade to the shiny new bulletin board version (the mighty vBulletin 4!) tomorrow, Tuesday June 14 at or around 6 pm CDT.

Downside is all the cool colors and nifty rabbit logo and stuff I put together in the custom style are going to go bye-bye, so we'll have a plain vanilla-looking bulletin board, until such time as I deal with that.

But at least it will still be in shades of blue, mostly, sorta-kinda, because that's the out-of-the-box default style.

OK? OK.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sounds good.

Comment

Update--the upgrade will happen more like 3 pm today, moved up from 6 pm.

I've also done some minor tidying-up to the "main" sdsufans.com page, just fyi . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

As you might have noticed, the board is upgraded, now. I suppose y'all are going to start asking me lots of questions about all the new thingies and geegaws, aren't you?

Be prepared to get "heckifIknow" for an answer--for a while, anyway. Looks like we're all going to be depending quite a bit on the ol' roll-over balloon (or whatever the heck the with-it kids call it) . . .
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: The board done broke!--Then done got upgradeificated!

That really didn't take too long... I thought you'd have to do one of those all-nighter deals.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                      As you might have noticed, the board is upgraded, now. I suppose y'all are going to start asking me lots of questions about all the new thingies and geegaws, aren't you?

Be prepared to get "heckifIknow" for an answer--for a while, anyway. Looks like we're all going to be depending quite a bit on the ol' roll-over balloon (or whatever the heck the with-it kids call it) . . .
                      Just logged on after a more than a week hiatus. Whoa.

Thanks for the time spent working on the upgrade!
                      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

I like the look and feel of the upgraded site. Thanks for your efforts.
                        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

The upgrade was a welcome suprise. After 30 some odd years of playing with these computer thingees I think getting the hang of the upgraded board shouldn't be too difficult.

Comment

Upgrades are AWESOME!
                            Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

Looks fancier but I was just getting use to the old one. technolgy and me do not get a long well, but this seems to be working well and if its better overall thats good.
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                              X