Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: More bad news

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
    How is SDSU supposed to provide a service that the state refuses to pay for?
    Charge for it?

I'm not going to say anymore at the risk of sounding like an ignorant/arrogant a-hole (like I have multiple times before on this and other issues).
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
      How is SDSU supposed to provide a service that the state refuses to pay for?
      I agree. What a laughable statement.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This is something that I have wondered for years, Why does a state with a population of less than 1 million need 6 state supported universities? Why not have 3 or 4 and then really support better? Iowa only has 3. Wyoming has 1. Just a thought. . .
        Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          Charge for it?
          Some programs and publications that were formerly free will now be fee based.

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
            This is something that I have wondered for years, Why does a state with a population of less than 1 million need 6 state supported universities? Why not have 3 or 4 and then really support better? Iowa only has 3. Wyoming has 1. Just a thought. . .
            but both of them have a large number of Community Colleges. We do not.

I can tell you this with a pretty strong conviction that I don't see the state closing a University in the next 10-15 years. The only thing I could see them considering would be changing Dakota State into some type of a community college.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              but both of them have a large number of Community Colleges. We do not.

I can tell you this with a pretty strong conviction that I don't see the state closing a University in the next 10-15 years. The only thing I could see them considering would be changing Dakota State into some type of a community college.
              South Dakota does, actually have several community colleges. It just calls them "Technical Schools."
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by valleyrabbit View Post
                North Dakota has fewer people than SD and has six universities in it's system along with five colleges. When ND and SD were getting organized, higher education was viewed as a tool for development of the state. Both states had the notion that they had to take education to the people. (sounds like today's practice of placing education centers in Sioux Falls, Rapid City and Pierre.)

Comment

A couple of questions on the recent news out of Brookings.

Is USD and the rest of the universities in the state facing the same cuts or is this just an SDSU problem?

Will the cuts in programs affect any athletes? Did any majors get cut that might force an athlete to go to another school?

Who chooses which programs got cut? Why cut Ag and Engineering programs when we are an Ag and Engineering school? Why not cut some other programs that no one knows we even have? Is it a numbers game or what?

I have already been attacked at work for the cutting of programs while the athletics department didn't get touched. I told them I thought that was two separate pots of money, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Athletics did takes cuts in their next budget and also has to pay higher tuition for the student athletes next year so they took a double hit.

Comment

Originally posted by BitsTD View Post
                      Why cut Ag and Engineering programs when we are an Ag and Engineering school?
                      For precisely that reason it has been far easier to get marginal ag and engineering programs approved.

The art department is the second largest department in the College of Arts & Sciences, and it basically has one major. Other humanities departments are extremely limited in the programs they offer. English offers a Master's, but otherwise is in pretty much the same boat as Visual Art.

Further, these ag and engineering programs are more resource and equipment intensive than humanities programs. The campus only has so much lab space, and pruning less popular programs is the only alternative to building more lab space--given increasing enrollment.

Finally, while SDSU's land grant mission specifically mentions ag and engineering, SDSU's humanities departments are almost without exception larger and more robust than those at USD. SDSU is becoming the de facto, if not the de jure flagship liberal arts institution in the state as well (music, poli-sci, ethnic studies, and psychology are probably the only programs that are stronger at USD).

Comment

Is USD and the rest of the universities in the state facing the same cuts or is this just an SDSU problem?

Will the cuts in programs affect any athletes? Did any majors get cut that might force an athlete to go to another school?

Who chooses which programs got cut? Why cut Ag and Engineering programs when we are an Ag and Engineering school? Why not cut some other programs that no one knows we even have? Is it a numbers game or what?

I have already been attacked at work for the cutting of programs while the athletics department didn't get touched. I told them I thought that was two separate pots of money, someone correct me if I am wrong.
                        SDSU had its budget cut plan in place and announced it before the other BOR institutions. Leading is an institutional habit, even if nobody likes where you have to go.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          South Dakota does, actually have several community colleges. It just calls them "Technical Schools."
                          yeah but they don't have athletics they don't have dorms they are very commuter-ish so to say.

People do go to a lot of technical schools in the state but very few end up at SDSU, USD, BHSU or any of the other state universities. Go to Wyoming and a lot of people go to LCCC or Sheriden College for 2 years then transfer to UW. That is why they can afford to have 1 state University because they don't get a ton of freshman who need remedial courses.

I do wonder with the opening of another University Center if they are not thinking about closing one down. However again both being from Bon Homme County where they closed Springfield and being from Black Hills State who was also mentioned at the same time when Springfield was closed as a possible closing college, I don't know if closing a college is a great idea. Add in the political implications, (a ton of people who didn't even know the School of Mines was in Rapid City through a fit when there was talk about selling it), and the remaining state universities are in significant populations, Madison is the smallest and still quite a bit bigger then Springfield ever was.

Comment

Yes, they'll all come out with their cuts soon. I'm guessing the Regents and institutions want to lay the cuts out to the public gradually, over time, thus (possibly) bringing to the public's attention just how devastating this is.
                            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by LakeJack View Post
                              Athletics did takes cuts in their next budget and also has to pay higher tuition for the student athletes next year so they took a double hit.
                              Exactly. Whatever the portion of the athletics budget that comes from general funds ($3 million, or so, I think) will take a 10 percent cut. And Lake is right: Increased tuition is basically a budget cut for athletics.
                              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

My suggestion:

University Center is administered by USD. There is an executive dean there who runs the place. He answers to USD's provost and president. UC has more students and surely teaches as many or more credits than DSU.

So... (sorry DSU fans) why does tiny DSU need a president, VPs, deans, athletic director, etc. Why not let DSU keep its identity, but administer the thing from Brookings, 40 miles away. Put an executive dean on campus and let the VPs and deans in Brookings handle the rest. There are so few students, I doubt they'd even notice. Seriously. DSU is a good school, but it's smaller than several of SDSU's colleges. Time to think creatively to save a few million bucks (and a few dozen employees).
                                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Working...
                                X