Clear All

• More bad news

The cuts keep coming...

http://www.sdsucollegian.info/2011/0...loyees-let-go/

Re: More bad news

That's just terrible!

Comment

That's only the beginning. You'll see lots more this week including the firing of tenured professors, the elimination of entire departments, and the shuttering of many programs.

The race to the bottom continues.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MinnJack View Post
        This article deals with the Extension service which is possibly run undifferent than it was 50 years ago. I can see a need to restructure and reform how procedures are done, but eliminating people may not be the right thing. Farm life as I knew it, no longer exists. Family farm agriculture has shifted from a way of life to production orientation. Produce!! produce namely crops is the name of the game. I suspect the extension has to adjust their thinking to a more production oriented way of doing things. Hiring here seems to be mystery. It mentions people having to re apply for their jobs which seems better than not having a job to apply for. It looks a bit like a circus to me.

A quote from Dean of Agriculture Dunn:
        “Our extension programs will be market-driven and will be based on a business plan,” Dunn said. “Programs will include a strong communications technology, delivery component, making them much more accessible on the Internet via social media and by video conference. Clients will no longer be required to come to an extension office to participate in an educational program or service"

It also mentions that a Masters Degree is now a requirement for rehiring. That may eliminate a few people. This business of doing it online eliminates interpersonal relationships that have been key to extension service. They have been good listeners, and the users of this service have provided good feedback.
        I fear something will be lost here in the new way of doing things.

Comment

Minnesota went to this regional center type of model for the Extension Service a few years ago. It resulted in the loss of a large number of very good staff,and reduced visibility (and effectiveness) of Extension in local communities.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Minnesota went to this regional center type of model for the Extension Service a few years ago. It resulted in the loss of a large number of very good staff,and reduced visibility (and effectiveness) of Extension in local communities.
            Elections have consequences

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              That's only the beginning. You'll see lots more this week including the firing of tenured professors, the elimination of entire departments, and the shuttering of many programs.

The race to the bottom continues.
              Awful.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

The deans are delivering the bad news to departments all over campus today. There will be a news conference tomorrow with the president and provost.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

What does the extension actually do? I am a city guy and have no idea how it works, if someone could break it down to what the point and benefit of the work is. I would appreciate any insight people have.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                    What does the extension actually do? I am a city guy and have no idea how it works, if someone could break it down to what the point and benefit of the work is. I would appreciate any insight people have.
                    Communication. Education. They take the research and best practices for agriculture that are developed on campus and elsewhere and help farmers and ranchers implement them.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post

http://www.sdstate.edu/sdces/index.cfm

Comment

Communication. Education. They take the research and best practices for agriculture that are developed on campus and elsewhere and help farmers and ranchers implement them.
                        That makes more sense saying it this way then the link too me atleast. So if i understand, they are going to restructure how and who will be providing the information. Is it an industry that is dying or just needing to change because of budget problems? Is funding completly up to gov funds for them or multiple sources of funding? Thanks for the answers. I am pretty clueless when it comes to ag. I didn't know what a shelter belt was until i was in college. Us SF guys sure got a lot of flack for that in class.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I know you don't like them but here is another link that will help.

http://www.csrees.usda.gov/Extension/

This one has a history of CES

http://www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/du...iceHistory.pdf

Comment

They are also resposible for delivering the 4-H and youth developement part of the programming.

Comment

that is a good definition but our local one also did a lot with yards, trees even flowers and garden diseases that were prevalent.

Some people say that this wasn't needed, but when it comes to agronomy I trust the SDSU guy more then the guy who has to sell X number of product. As noted they also did a lot with 4-H and other educational programs, the local one was very involved with arbor day and other environmental education programs through the school.

I'll say this and its probably somewhat rash but cutting back to 7 post they could have just as well went to 2, have one in Brookings and one in Rapid City. I'll agree that they didn't need over 100 of them in the state, they probably didn't need one in every county but going from 62 to 7 is a bit draconian IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X